PDA

View Full Version : Hi capacity molds

happy7
01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I recently acquired my first 8 (saeco) and 10 (HG wadcutter) cavity molds. I have always enjoyed the output of the six cavity molds, and of course I knew on an intellectual level that these molds were faster, but the first time I cast with that 10 cavity, it was a revelation how fast the bullets piled up. I mean it is possible to cast 100 bullets in under three minutes! And then casting with the eight cavity, it dawned on me that it was double the capacity of a four cavity saeco or lyman, which I have quite a number of. I'm hooked. The only problem is the difficulty of finding these molds and their expense when you do.

That'll Do
01-18-2011, 09:15 PM
I would love to have hi-cap molds easily available, especially for the most common bullets that I shoot. I like to cast, but I like shooting even more!

Jack Stanley
01-19-2011, 10:52 PM
I haven't used the eight or ten cavity versions from H&G . But many years ago I'd go in on my day off at the training center and cast bullets using four six cavity wadcutter molds . It was simply amazing the pounds of lead that could be converted in seven hours time . I think the only thing faster was an automated machine .

Jack

bobthenailer
01-20-2011, 10:48 AM
I currently have 6 - 8 cavity saeco moulds , all cast like a dream ! I can usually make between 1300 to 1500 bullets per hour useing only 1 mould.
When i bought mine they were a semi production item , now discounded ! i bought them from GAR which is now closed, the first was $121.00 the last one i bought was $175.00 ,Quite a few years ago probley in the early 1980s!
I reasond spend the extra money for the 8 over the 4 cavity mould sell a few thousand bullets and recoup the difference in price betwen the moulds. .
I have also used a couple of 8 & 10 cavity H&G moulds that a friend had

Bret4207
01-21-2011, 08:33 AM
What amazes me is how fast and uniformly my H+G 10x#50 heats ups and stays hot. I learned a lot using that mould. MOULD temp is a lot more important than POT temp.

fredj338
01-23-2011, 02:46 AM
I recently acquired my first 8 (saeco) and 10 (HG wadcutter) cavity molds. I have always enjoyed the output of the six cavity molds, and of course I knew on an intellectual level that these molds were faster, but the first time I cast with that 10 cavity, it was a revelation how fast the bullets piled up. I mean it is possible to cast 100 bullets in under three minutes! And then casting with the eight cavity, it dawned on me that it was double the capacity of a four cavity saeco or lyman, which I have quite a number of. I'm hooked. The only problem is the difficulty of finding these molds and their expense when you do.

I find working w/ an iron 4cav tiring, I can't inagine an 8 or 10. I would think that filling time & setting time would actually start slowing you down a bit. I doubnt you could get a pour out every 20sec when the mold is at peak temp. Then again, Lee 6cav are the highest I have gone. I can get just under 3 pours/min sustained. The mold gets too hot.

happy7
01-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I find working w/ an iron 4cav tiring, I can't inagine an 8 or 10. I would think that filling time & setting time would actually start slowing you down a bit. I doubnt you could get a pour out every 20sec when the mold is at peak temp. Then again, Lee 6cav are the highest I have gone. I can get just under 3 pours/min sustained. The mold gets too hot.

Certainly the weight of the heavy molds is an issue, especially the 10 cav H&G. It is a monster. But my arms can take it. Honestly my back gives out before my arms do anyway.

The way to keep the temps under control is using multiple molds. With the Lee six cavity molds in like 45 caliber, I cast with three at a time. Doing this I don't have to wait at all. In fact I pretty much have to cast as fast as I possibly can just to keep the molds up to temp. This is only possible with molds that are broken in and working well because if the mold has any issues I really have no time to resolve them. If I do have some sort of hang up, I just throw a mold or two on the hot plate which I keep going just in case.

Also, with the H&G 10 cavity, it has a deep trough on the sprue plate. You don't have to actually pour the lead in each hole, you just run it into the trough and so you can fill it real fast. Considering that it is 38 wadcutters, it is really no more lead than a six cavity with a large 45 bullet.

Bret4207
01-24-2011, 09:53 AM

Nope, once it's up to heat it's pour (1lb Rowell ladle), wait for the sprue (not much longer than any other iron mould), dump and pour again. It's fast.

45 2.1
01-24-2011, 10:14 AM
The way to keep the temps under control is using multiple molds.

A small fan works much better with a smaller extreme spread on the weights.

happy7
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
A small fan works much better with a smaller extreme spread on the weights.

I need to get me one of those.

SwedeNelson
01-24-2011, 12:13 PM
happy7

This is a great little fan at a good price.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422373_200422373
Started to use it, a hot plate and my mould block thermometer with real good luck.

Swede Nelson

madsenshooter
01-24-2011, 01:15 PM
High capacity! Goodness, in the interest of public safety nobody should be able to make more than one boolit at time. Molding multiple bullets at a time is just a way for a person to make sure they have an ample supply of ammunition to fire as much as possible without reloading (the cartridges, not the weapon)....We'll, there ought to be a law again it, everyone should be limited to one, or two at a time, at the most. That way all the mad casters (no offense to he who chose this handle) will be tied up in their sanctum sanctorums casting and we won't have to worry about them being out in public. I've read they don't like being out much anyway, though they secretly crave the limelight.

PS All contraband multiple cavity molds should be sent to me. Just PM the list of contraband items you'll be sending to me so I can get a handle on inventory.

x101airborne
01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Dang...... Sounds like a Hillary supporter...

happy7
01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the tip!

How about adding one cavity to your molds and giving us a six cavity option?

happy7

This is a great little fan at a good price.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422373_200422373
Started to use it, a hot plate and my mould block thermometer with real good luck.

Swede Nelson

fredj338
01-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Nope, once it's up to heat it's pour (1lb Rowell ladle), wait for the sprue (not much longer than any other iron mould), dump and pour again. It's fast.
Since I use a BP pot, I find even the 6cav Lee a bit trying getting them all filled. I also like to pressure cast, I seem to get fewer rejects w/ the Lee molds. I can see the value fo the 4-6cav molds, I guess I would have to give ladle casting w/ an 8ca to see what it's all about.:lovebooli

FISH4BUGS
01-27-2011, 08:09 AM
I shoot a MAC M11A1 380 submachinegun (among others) and use a 10 cavity Hensley & Gibbs S55 380 95 gr mould. This little gun has a rate of fire at about 1200 rounds per minute so it can go through ammo rather quickly. You can empty a 32 round magazine in about 1 - 1.5 seconds.
The mould is a BEAST. It takes some time to get up to temp but once it does, the bullets drop like rain. You can put out a TON of those little 380 bullets.
Now I know why there is a mould guide in the Lyman 20 lb. pot. It must have been invented for these moulds!

Texasflyboy
01-27-2011, 06:28 PM

You can fill a 10 cavity Hensley & Gibbs mould in well under 10 seconds with a good bottom pour pot with a mould guide.

My pot has a foot pedal to activate the spout. Slide the mould in to position #1, and press down with your foot and push the mould forward slowly and all 10 cavities are filled faster than it took to type this description.

I can easily cast 500 to 750 wadcutters with my 10 cavity #50 in an hour or under.

HARRYMPOPE
01-30-2011, 12:21 AM
I have an 8 cavity ideal 308241 armory mold.While not the quality of the HG's i sold waaay before the values went up its nice to be able to knock em out and spend more range time.
The current SAECO 4 cavities have been very good.

HMP