PDA

View Full Version : Crimping for autoloaders

skeet1
01-18-2011, 07:28 PM
I recently purchased a Lee 358-105 SWC mold as I noticed in the Lee catalog it says "works great in 9mm". My first experience with this bullet was less than stellar. It kept hanging up while loading from the magazine and I thought that it was just that the front driving band of the bullet was not compatible with the end of the chamber of my Glock 17.

Today I tried it again using a good crimp into the crimping groove. My first attempt I only straighted out the bell of the case. Today each and every round loaded and fired without a bobble. I guess I listened too closely to those that have said to be cautious about crimping because cases like the 9mm and .45 ACP headspace on the mouth of the case. Evidently you need more crimp than I thought for good feeding.

To say that I am pleased with this bullet and mold now would be an understatement.

Skeet1

That'll Do
01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes, with autoloaders, a taper crimp that removes the case mouth belling is all that is needed. Too much crimp is a bad thing, as you found out.

pjh421
01-21-2011, 01:11 AM
Did you read his post?

Paul

MtGun44
01-21-2011, 01:15 AM
IME, mostly with .45 ACP, the lack of or inadequate TC accounts for over 80% of the
feeding issues with handloaded ammo in semi-autos.

I use a moderate TC which has a noticable taper, not just straightening the case out
and removing the bell. I have a portion of the thickness of the brass case mouth
pushed into the boolit.

Bill

pjh421
01-22-2011, 12:26 AM
I know a guy who is friends with Les Baer. He has a 1911A1 from Baer and Les told him to crimp so the case mouth measures no more than .468" using my H&G 68 boolits. Now that is significantly more crimp than I normally put on .45 ACP rounds. I kept screwing down the Dillon TC die and measuring until I finally got the .468" measurement, thinking, "I'm gonna run out of taper." The charge Les specified, since we were using WW231, was 5.7 grains. Works like a charm and makes major power factor. My friend says it shoots small.

Paul

HeavyMetal
01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I'd actually like to see Lee offer that boolit with out the crimp groove. That would get it into the 115 weight range with WW alloy.

As far as crimp goes?

I think that is the most misunderstood adjustment any one can make in the reloading cycle. Particularly in auto pistols.

Sounds Like Les Baer got it right. The taper crimp is way to easy to over do.

Some day I will get a camera with a real good Macro setting and shoot some pic's of good bad and ugly taper crimps on 9mm and 45 auto rounds.