PDA

View Full Version : Does it drive you crazy...

That'll Do
01-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Does it drive you nuts when you see people spreading blatant misinformation about boolits, for example, they'll cause leading if shot too fast, boolits have to be rock hard to work, they're poisonous so don't use them inside, etc. etc. etc.

I just saw this tidbit on another site :groner::

Also, when using lead bullets with 9mm and .40 (or any round, for that matter), you have to keep velocities below 1100-1200 f/sec or so, to avoid leaving lead in the barrel. Harder lead bullets help, but don't solve the problem, and are more expensive. 9mm 115gr bullets (cheapest, usually) were designed for higher velocities than that. Dupicating factory velocities with 115 lead bullets = lots of lead in barrel.

I guess my .357 Magnum is broken, since I can shoot boolits at 1300fps without leading?

I usually try to offer advice to the contrary, without coming out and saying "You're wrong!", but sometimes I just can't help it. I think more people would shoot or cast boolits if they knew the truth and not the lies/misinformation. Of course, that would mean less lead for me, so...maybe lies work? (just kidding).

Sorry for the rant, it just bugs me. If you're gonna talk, know what you're talking about!

(end of rant)

RobS
01-18-2011, 06:52 PM
It's one of those things.............sometimes people have to see it to believe it and even then the pigheadness in them won't let them see the light.

mdi
01-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Yep, some folks just need to be an "expert" on something. BTW my Super Black must be unique 'cause I can shoot Lyman 429421 in Wheel Weights over heavy loads of WC820. Don't know how fast they're goin', but I don't get much leading...

HighHook
01-18-2011, 07:21 PM
My Rant is:

Most of my best guns are old and seasoned and shoot awesome. But because they are not new and shiny to some people they aren't good enough.

c3d4b2
01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Does it drive you nuts when you see people spreading blatant misinformation about boolits

I always figured that this opinion left more lead for the rest of us.

stubshaft
01-18-2011, 07:38 PM

You forgot to mention cheap boolit moulds when their "buddies" can't seem to get them to work right.8-)

That'll Do
01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
You forgot to mention cheap boolit moulds when their "buddies" can't seem to get them to work right.8-)

Oh yeah, how could I forget! LOL

I was reading a review of a Saeco mold at MidwayUSA (it was a 4 cavity deal, about $150), that the guy writing the review called "junk" because "the bullets didn't shoot well in my gun, and there was lots of leading." How does that relate the the quality of the mold?!?! Makes you wonder what goes on in some people's heads (probably not much).

timkelley
01-18-2011, 09:22 PM

I'm with c3d4b2.

wallenba
01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Shhhsh....don't tell em'. There's more lead for us. Too much demand and the prices go up!

Gohon
01-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. In most cases it is just simple ignorance which is corrected easily with the proper information. If you don't take the time to stop and point out where someone is wrong then they remain ignorant and besides, in most cases there is a usually a real reason someone will incorrectly form the opinion they have.

What bothers me is when others jump on someone and talk to them like a dog just because they have formed the wrong opinion. We all lose when that happens.

When it comes to casting, loading and shooting.....sometimes there are two or more correct answers. There is one very knowledgeable fellow on this forum that swears harder cast is better and it works very well for his type of shooting. I'm in the opposite camp and believe softer cast is better and it works great for my shooting. Which one of us is wrong???

troy_mclure
01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
on the fn fourms one of the site sponsors(sells custom 5.7fn ammo) was saying you need vibration tables to cast .22 boolits, and you cant push them fast enough for use in the guns.

a guy did it with 50? gr boolits, and got flamed for contradicting the "expert".

i plan on doing it with the 37gr noe group buy.

MT Gianni
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
I will admit that I have no business on a launch pad as I don't understand Rocket Science. I have my ideas as to how they work and see the resemblance between a bullets shape and a rocket. I would not feel out of sorts if a genuine Rocket Scientist told me I was wrong. IMO, That is what most cast shooters are in the reloading world. We are just not recognized as such as there is no degree awarded, and we all can still learn more. It is easy to pick out those on gun boards that are still in High School or early College regarding Cast boolits, the disadvantage is when they think they know it all. Few of them are teachable with out feeling the fire to know more.

jonk
01-18-2011, 11:01 PM
A little. Not a lot. I usually silence all critics when I show them my target.

I won't say that my best casting efforts outshoot the best J word loads; but that in many cases I can match them. At a FAR lesser price.

DeanWinchester
01-18-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm glad they're idiots. Like stated already, don't tell them, or they will want in and run prices up!

I mean for the love of God don't tell them that I am loading a 230g RN 45acp @ 850-900fps for less than $75 per thousand. OR that they are accurate as heck and I can shoot as many as I like through my XD with about as much leading in my barrel as they have copper fouling for the same amount.

I know how frustrating it can be with the morons, but don't educate them! Leave them in the dark. The last thing we need is their knowitall BS disease to spread into a fine establishment like this forum.

DeanWinchester
01-18-2011, 11:24 PM
I should say, I am ALL FOR the proliferation of our love for casting. Worthy ones such as Jim's little apprentice or ANY other who genuinely wants to learn the art. BUT leave the couch commandos and armchair experts right where they are. Bumbling around like the fools they are.

jhrosier
01-18-2011, 11:29 PM
I have pretty much quit paying attention to the self appointed "experts".

If somebody is interested in learning, I will spend as much time and effort as I can to help them.

If somebody just wants to argue, I send them to see my wife.:kidding:

Jack

DIRT Farmer
01-19-2011, 12:23 AM
From the main thing I learned in my collage edumikation, X is an unknown quanity. spurt is a drip under pressure.
My peeves
You can't kill a deer with a moderatly loaded round ball
Revolvers are so old fashion they don't hold enough ammo to work for police work or self defence.
Flint locks are not relibible.
Fat, balding old guys are dumb.

Dale53
01-19-2011, 01:40 AM
>>>Fat, balding old guys are dumb.<<<

"I resemble that!" (Muggs McGuiness of the "Dead End Kids" in the forties)...LOL

Dale53

geargnasher
01-19-2011, 02:27 AM
I have pretty much quit paying attention to the self appointed "experts".

If somebody is interested in learning, I will spend as much time and effort as I can to help them.

If somebody just wants to argue, I send them to see my wife.:kidding:

Jack

I'm trying really hard to adopt that philosophy, but I have to battle my nature to want to fix and educate every poor bastard in the universe, particularly those stubborn souls who don't want to get shaken out of their own rotten little paradigms. I just don't have the tact to correct misconceptions and misinformation without ruffling feathers. Oh, well. But if you sincerely and openly ask my opinion and experiences, I'll pour it on you for what it's worth, maybe it will help in some way.

Gear

steg
01-19-2011, 03:24 AM
In my experience, once a condom shooter is educated by one of those know it all's their usually lost to us, no matter the evidence you present to them, it dosen't matter, cause they have been told by "someone who knows", besides lead is getting really darn hard to find anymore, LOL..................steg

Brithunter
01-19-2011, 07:04 AM
OK folks let's look at this from another angle. For instance although I happily shot cast lead bullets through my pistols when we had them :-( I never cast my own. I have played a little with paper Patching back when I had a 577/450 Sporting Martini rifle to play with and with commercially cast GC .303 bullets in a Martini Enfield AC11 to preserve it's barrel in my limited shooting.

As I still have some of the .303 cast bullets I am now trying them through a Sporterised No4 Lee Enfield. A 1960 conversion done by Parker-Hale or so it seems ;). Anyway I am fairly new to casting despite slowly accumulating the required stuff over a decade or so, Electric lead pot of unknown make, Lyman 450 and a SEACO lube sizer, a pair of Lyman .35 cal rifle moulds and handles and soem lead. I cast a few of the .358" bullets in soft lead to try patching for a Husqvarna Model 46 9.3x57 but have not got them right and that was about 7 years ago.

Now I have no where to set up the casting stuff as yet, will have to take over a shed or buy/build one as I cannot do it in the house and there is nowhere else to do it. So for my shooting I have had to rely uopn normal commercial jacketed bullets.

With the ridiculas cost of powders, bullets and brass here in the UK now cast is becoming more viable for me and as I have a few suitable rifles the learnign curve will be asteep one. My aim is to beable get a cast bullet load in .303 initially that can be used for Deer stalking. The bug in the ointment is that it must produce a minimum of 1700 ft lbs to be legal and designed to expand. I would have thought that normal cast lead at a velocity of around 2000 fps would still expand?

Tazman1602
01-19-2011, 08:02 AM
It's only age that will get you there Gear. Or....at least I thought it was age that would get you there. I'm still waiting.

The bumblebee can't fly, and my .357's don't know that shooting lead is bad for them so I"m not going to tell them.............

.................and my 1985 Mustang II is an 11 second quarter mile car.................

I just had the "lead bullets are stupid" thing happen to me last weekend and it STILL drives me crazy but I just shut up and walk away shaking my head.

It is impossible to explain anything to someone who already knows....

Art

I'm trying really hard to adopt that philosophy, but I have to battle my nature to want to fix and educate every poor bastard in the universe, particularly those stubborn souls who don't want to get shaken out of their own rotten little paradigms. I just don't have the tact to correct misconceptions and misinformation without ruffling feathers. Oh, well. But if you sincerely and openly ask my opinion and experiences, I'll pour it on you for what it's worth, maybe it will help in some way.

Gear

PAT303
01-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Brithunter,it is quite easy to get 2K out of the 303 and with a good mold,CBE is the place to go,you'll get everything you want.I have the 220grn bore rider and it flattens game without an issue,actually the only issue is too much meat damage. Pat

oldhickory
01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
No, the people don't bother me a bit...The results speak for themselves. What bothers me is the closest club I belong to uses old tires in front of the back-stop making mining/boolit recovery almost impossible. [smilie=b:

That'll Do
01-19-2011, 12:02 PM
<edited>

When it comes to casting, loading and shooting.....sometimes there are two or more correct answers. There is one very knowledgeable fellow on this forum that swears harder cast is better and it works very well for his type of shooting. I'm in the opposite camp and believe softer cast is better and it works great for my shooting. Which one of us is wrong???

In your case, neither are wrong. Both of your techniques work for you. My comments were directed at truly false information, you know, like all lead bullets cause leading.

Gear

I know what you mean, Gear. I'm the same way about people and misconceptions–the TRUTH is a heck of a lot better than mumbo-jumbo garbage, even if the truth hurts a little.

Jim
01-19-2011, 12:21 PM
All of this is why I don't go to other forums.

mpmarty
01-19-2011, 01:12 PM
I set up at the bench with sandbags, my Savage bolt gun and a large open tray of cast boolits, nose up ready to go. RO closed the range and I walked down to the 100 yard line and set up my target. Walked back and waited for the range to open and a guy standing next to me behind the "red line" asked if I planned to shoot those lead bullets. I told him that "yes I did" and he asked if I knew they would not shoot worth a darn and would fill my barrel with lead. I asked him to spot for me and he agreed with a wicked grin. Range opened and I proceeded to fire a few rounds. I use a 24X scope and can easily spot my own hits. I put five in the X ring and asked him how I was doing. He mumbled that my shots looked ok. I then shot five more into one ragged hole and asked him again and he said they were "OK" and then I cleared the weapon and took it back to the safe area and stripped the bolt out of it. I offered the genius a look down the bore and he said it looked dirty. I had a load of 30gr of BLC(2) with large pistol primers in this 308 shooting a 173gr LEE flat nose. I pushed a patch down the bore and gave him another look. The bore was mirror bright and clean. The patch had a bit of unburned powder. The genius is coming over next weekend to learn how to cast boolits.[smilie=1:

That'll Do
01-19-2011, 10:22 PM
All of this is why I don't go to other forums.

I should cut my losses and do the same.

geargnasher
01-19-2011, 10:50 PM
There are other forums???

Gear

garym1a2
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM
I like how the good lead bullets mushroom out of my .357 Rossi, the copper Jacket hollow points tend to explode in my phonebook tests. Plus this rifle and my 686 s&W do not lead up and are easy to clean. Casting also makes it affordable to shoot the .357's and the 45acp. buying ammo at $40+ per 100 was too much for me.

mdi
01-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Shhhsh....don't tell em'. There's more lead for us. Too much demand and the prices go up!

Yep just agree and state firmly that lead bullets aren't accurate, they will lead any barrel if shot over 1000 fps. You'll get lead poisoning from shooting them and yes, they cut barrel life in half...