PDA

View Full Version : Fiber AR Lowers

pistolman44
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Has anyone seen or used the Fiber reinforced composit complete AR lowers on Auction Arms.com. They have a buy now price of $124. I was wondering how this plastic type material would hold up. I guess it's simular to what Glocks recievers are made of.

Moonie
01-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Is this a Plum Crazy lower? I hear good things about them and I'm planning on purchasing one myself. I believe they have recently changed their name however so it might not be called "Plum Crazy" any longer.

Moonie
01-18-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm not showing this lower listed when I search over there, can you provide a link?

pistolman44
01-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes these are Plum Crazy. Go to auctionarms.com then clik on rifles for sale then clik on semi-auto and scroll down and you will see the listing. There is a complete rifle for sale with this lower for buy now price around $600.

Moonie
01-18-2011, 01:25 PM
As I said, I'm planning on getting one myself so we have a complete 5.56 and 6.8, currently we have one lower and 2 uppers.

They are supposed to be just as durable as the aluminum and about a pound lighter as all the components that can be polymer are, obviously springs can't be.

DeanWinchester
01-18-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't know anything about them, but when I read your post I thought you were talking about one of those one piece (stock grip & receiver) turds.

THis actually looks GREAT. I wonder how much weight you shed by using it? Looks like what you need to build an ultra light pencil barrel AR on.

I've always wanted to build another AR and see how light I can get it. Unloaded weight around three feathers and a cotton ball. :holysheep

pistolman44
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM
I just might buy one of these complete lowers and get a Stag Arms complete left hand upper in 6.8 SPC. I know I can reverse the safety lever so I can use it left handed.

HANDYMAN
01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I played with one at a gun shop and it just felt to cheesy to me so I bought a aero precision lower for $80 instead and put a RRA NM assembly in it. For the money It's every bit as good as the 2 other RRA lowers I have.

starnbar
01-18-2011, 07:59 PM
I can't say one way or the other about plastic handguns and rifles. I personally don't own any I have fired quite a few and I don't like the feel. I just don't think a plastic handgun will be in as good a shape as the 1911 my father carried in WWll after 70 years. It still shoots very well and I have carried it myself for many years.

dk17hmr
01-18-2011, 09:16 PM
I have one right now....I bought 2 when they were first on the market for $99 each shipped. A buddy of mine wanted an AR15 and talked me out of my only 223/556 AR which happend to be on a PlumCrazy.

I had 500+ rounds shot through it before I sold it and I know he has at least another 300 through it. Zero problems. The one I still have is on my 300 whisper, which claimed 2 antelope last fall, it has about 400 rounds through it so far.

I did the 15minute AR trigger job on these and it turned the triggers into match quality.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/NEF/IMG_0459.jpg

I talked Ricky P into buying 3 of them along with uppers I found for a pretty good price, I think the uppers were less than $350.

Worth the money.

82nd airborne
01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
LOOK INTO THE BACKGROUND OF THE COMPANY BEFORE BUYING!
I have heard they are a good product, but I have also heard there are some less than honest dealings involved. Look at their feedback on gunbroker. I could very well be wrong, but it is always good to be safe.

82nd airborne
01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
That said, if I dont turn up any of the negative feedback I remember seeing, Ill probably buy a few if someone can post a link.
Aaron

MtGun44
01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Not a PlumCrazy, but I have had a polymer lower for several years on an AR. Works just fine,
really light.

NickSS
01-20-2011, 11:20 PM
I had a bushmaster a few years ago that was all polimer except for the barrel, Bolt assembly and trigger assembly. It weighed like 4.5 pounds with a full magazine and shot good too. I got it cheap from a guy who said he didn't like it and used it for several years as my truck gun. I have to say this for it after thee years of hard use it still looked new. I put some 5000 rounds through it too but it was really too light for precision shooting so I ended up selling it and buying a 20" NM Bushmaster that I still have.

Gunsmoke4570
01-21-2011, 12:50 AM
IIRC the Carbon 15's had a reputation for reliability and durability. Only negative was the inherent flex of the polymer would cause some erratic grouping or or zero shift in certain conditions. The newer stuff may have taken care of this.

MtGun44
01-21-2011, 01:08 AM
The lower has nothing to do with zero or accy, so these should not be an issue.

Carbon 15 used a carbon fiber/polymer upper which could possibly have an effect on
zero and accy.

Bill

82nd airborne
01-21-2011, 09:40 AM
The lower has nothing to do with zero or accy, so these should not be an issue.

Carbon 15 used a carbon fiber/polymer upper which could possibly have an effect on
zero and accy.

Bill

I must dissagree, respectfully. The lower has alot to do with accuracy. Here is something you can do to quickly test this. Take an AR with slack between the upper and lower and shoot 3 of the best groups you can. Take that same AR and install an accuwedge to remove slop from the lower, shoot 3 more groups and see what happens.

If the lower is a poor fit, as some brands tend to be, your grip effects how the upper moves in the lower, while the bullet is in the process of leaving the barrel. Each slight inconsistancy from the shooter causes the upper to move in the loose lower a different way, which doesnt help accuracy.

For custome builds, I use lowers that you can adjust the slack out of before installing the grip, to elliminate any movement between upper and lower.

If the lower had nothing to do with accuracy, Snipers, competitors, and custom gun makers would not go to extended lengths to make sure the lower has no play.

Just my take on it.
Respectfully,
Aaron

JudgeBAC
01-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Apoligize for the thread hijack but I must ask this question to Aaron. Are there any disadvantages to using an accuwedge in an AR set up for personal defense?

82nd airborne
01-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Not too benificial for HD purposes, but for $2 I put one in every AR I build. If nothing else, It acts as a sort of a shock absorber, adding longevity to the life of the gun.

mike in co
01-22-2011, 02:22 AM
LOOK INTO THE BACKGROUND OF THE COMPANY BEFORE BUYING!
I have heard they are a good product, but I have also heard there are some less than honest dealings involved. Look at their feedback on gunbroker. I could very well be wrong, but it is always good to be safe.

so put out some facts...ot quit promogating internet gossip....

mike in co

mike in co
01-22-2011, 02:30 AM
first they are not considered a "fiber" lower..but more like a glock composite.

they are excellent and have a lifetime warrantee.

i have had three and sold in excessive of thirty.........no complaints to date.

they have two big improvements over a std lower.

one: the trigger is single stage and much nicer than a stock mil...tho it is not a match trigger.

two: the fit for the upper lower rear pin is an interference fit....there is no upper/lowwer rattle!

as has been mentioned they are certifed for 223/5.56 only

buy with confidence.....

ohh i buy direct from the factory...current prices vary..i believe srp is $149 for a complete lower with internals and a six position colapsable butt stock.
market price seen to be in the $139 range..but shotgun news article say they bought at $119.

if i get some extra cash i will buy more..

mike in co

82nd airborne
01-22-2011, 10:31 AM
so put out some facts...ot quit promogating internet gossip....

mike in co

Yes Mike, just assume that I have never dealt with them and was not giving them the benifit of the doubt. You will notice that I said nothing bad about the product, or even the owner. I am not a big time dealer like yourself, I only sell a few AR uppers a day, maybe that is why I was lied to over and over by the company.

I tried to put it very mildly, and let people do their own research, but you had to pry.

Once again, there is not a thing wrong with the lowers themselves, just the dealings behind them.

parrott1969
01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
These lowers are the BOMB!!! I have built two AR's with this lower. ZERO PROBLEMS. Fantastic fit. You will not regret it.

JIMinPHX
01-22-2011, 03:23 PM
I did the 15minute AR trigger job on these and it turned the triggers into match quality.

Geeze, is that a 30-round mag that you have there on your hunting rifle? Do you really need that much firepower to drop the furry little varmints out by you? They must grow them a whole lot tougher in your neck of the woods than they do down my way. :kidding:

Seriously though, joking aside, What is "the 15minute AR trigger job"? I'm not familiar with that?

mike in co
01-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Yes Mike, just assume that I have never dealt with them and was not giving them the benifit of the doubt. You will notice that I said nothing bad about the product, or even the owner. I am not a big time dealer like yourself, I only sell a few AR uppers a day, maybe that is why I was lied to over and over by the company.

I tried to put it very mildly, and let people do their own research, but you had to pry.

Once again, there is not a thing wrong with the lowers themselves, just the dealings behind them.

i'll listen to facts.....
i have had no issues with the company, nor with the product....

i did have a problem with a person CALIMING to be a regional sales rep for the company.....

(they did not have one).....

you can pm me the lies if you do not want to put them out here....

like i said , i'll listen

mike in co

Ekalb2000
01-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I have one right now....I bought 2 when they were first on the market for $99 each shipped. A buddy of mine wanted an AR15 and talked me out of my only 223/556 AR which happend to be on a PlumCrazy.

I had 500+ rounds shot through it before I sold it and I know he has at least another 300 through it. Zero problems. The one I still have is on my 300 whisper, which claimed 2 antelope last fall, it has about 400 rounds through it so far.

I talked Ricky P into buying 3 of them along with uppers I found for a pretty good price, I think the uppers were less than $350.

Worth the money.

Doug,
What upper you running? I have a soft spot for the slab sides.
Thanks

82nd airborne
01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
i'll listen to facts.....
i have had no issues with the company, nor with the product....

i did have a problem with a person CALIMING to be a regional sales rep for the company.....

(they did not have one).....

you can pm me the lies if you do not want to put them out here....

like i said , i'll listen

mike in co

Ill try to shoot you a pm out this evening. Im not really interesting in running their company down publicly, but it is good for people to do thier own research, incase something relevent turns up. Thats all Im trying to get people to do.
Regards,
Aaron