PDA

View Full Version : Damned cow elk...

Gussy
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Opening day of elk season was a no show, at least on the part of the elk. Second day was a very sharp, cold wind up my backside so I opted for a big pine tree on a ridge for a view point. It cut thew wind well enough that I could stand it. As I looked across the canyon, something moved on the south side opposite ridge. A small herd of elk came busting over the top and into the canyon. I alerted my partner who was on that side and he started a sneak.

Damned old lead cow never stopped. Most of the herd started feeding down the hill towards me. She came down into the canyon a couple hundred yards then turned back up hill. Before my partner could get close she took the whole herd right over the top to the north. I watched as 5 legal bulls followed her out of sight.

I crossed to that side hoping the herd would get hit and turn back. They did get hit and 3 cows came back. A bit later there was a bunch of shooting from the direction they headed (probably a mile away from the sound).

Damned cow elk.
Gus

Boz330
11-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Yep! Thats why they call it Elk huntin not Elk Shootin.

Bob

montana_charlie
11-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I alerted my partner who was on that side and he started a sneak.I never managed to do that without the elk seeing me...
CM

Montanan
11-13-2006, 09:11 PM
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1623/cowboyfence2xsmqu4.gif At least you seen some elk... I haven't been able to get out to find them yet.

Gussy
11-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Elk season is over, no elk came back into my area.

Bear season ends tomorrow. I don't really want to kill a bear, but there's one out there that really tore up my orchard. He has a circle on his side if I see him.

After that, coy dogs better stay out of sight!!!

Side note: The neighbors kid killed a huge white tail (10 year old kid, probably a 10 year old deer). Everyone in the area has seen that buck but never got a shot. The kid drew a late season buck tag (rut time) and got it in his front yard. The kids ruined now!!!
Gus