PDA

View Full Version : Tight spot in H&R Handi Rifle Barrell

akajun
01-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Bought my dad a Handi RIfle in 45-70 for christmas this year, we can use them in LA during the Muzzleoader season. Anyway I went to sight it in using my load I use for mine and everyone elses in my family's Handi RIfles's which shoots great.
Lyman 300gr cast bullet, 4759 powder, and sized to 458.

Anyway his will shoot them in a 4-5" group. When I got the gun home, I slugged the barrell to see if it was oversized, and discovered two things. One the bore is
.456 at the chamber and for about an inch, then it opens up to . 2475. So I have a .0015 constriction in the bore.

Also I noticed that the rifling is very shallow, .003 or so. My handi rifle was .004-5. Would the combination of a bore constriction and shallow rifling cause this innaccuracy?
What are my options, and what are your opinions.

Should I call H&R and tell them what I discovered? By doing so they would probably realize I 'm shooting handloads and say I voided the warranty.

Should I firelapp or lead lap the first inch of the bore in an attempt to remove the constriction in the barrell?

Should I just load him up a bunch of jacket bullets and move on? He will only use this to hunt two weeks out of the year and may shoot it 5 times a year at the range to sight in and kill whatever he kills with it.

cajun shooter
01-18-2011, 10:11 AM
If you do any work and mess up a new gun your warranty is void. Why not call the company as the end of the season is near and have them tell you what to do. It would be a shame to end up with another anchor for your bateau.

docone31
01-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Fire lapping might just do it.
Meantime, useing jacketeds might also help.

zuke
01-20-2011, 12:45 AM
You were thinking of using reload's till you discovered this flaw.
That's your story and your sticking to it!
If it's covered let them fix it.

wgr
01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
You were thinking of using reload's till you discovered this flaw.
That's your story and your sticking to it!
If it's covered let them fix it. i second that.

Springfield
01-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Using reloads voiding the warranty is ****, IMHO. Be that as it may, using reloads sure didn't cause the constriction in the bore, have them fix it.

DHB
01-21-2011, 01:56 AM
I agree. A bad bore is NOT an operator error. They should fix it. You might tell them if they get snooty, it's (the problem) been posted to a bulletin board and you've had many replies. If they don't take care of it hundreds-thousands will know. BUT I can't believe they won't fix it, they seem to be a pretty good company.
DHB
P.S. Be sure to let us know.

akajun
01-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Will send the gun back in a few weeks, got a j bullet load that shoots in it, let my dad get his hunts in and will send it in.

Thanks