PDA

View Full Version : Outshot Jwords today with cast 30-06

HighHook
01-18-2011, 04:41 AM
Today was a great day for us cast bullet guys!!!

A friend of mine and i went to the mountains today with weather in the 70s sun shinning strong and next to no wind. Yes its January...

I loaded up 50 Boolits in 30-06 with the 165 sil rcbs. 20gr 2400. My friend went to wally world and bought 40 factory new j words in 30-06.

We both have rem 700s with scopes his mid 90s and mine early 70s. we both sighted on paper at 80 yards.

Now for the fun! We have a shooting gallery with steel plates all over the mountain side with one at 420 yards that is 7" wide and 10" high on a 4x4 3' high.

Well my buddy shot all 20 and never hit it once with his j words. Now for me at the helm the first shot was 3' low aiming straight at it and slightly to the right a couple inches maybe. well thats easy just raise the sights 3' approx and squeeze.

Holy cow count 1 2 3 CLANG!!!!!! I was jumping with joy as my buddy could not believe his eyes. i managed to hit the 420 yard target 7 out of 10 times by aiming at rocks in the background. My buddy shot 10 of my boolits and hit it 4 out of 10 with his gun. We just converted another Believer.

I am kind of green at this long range shooting so be nice maybe for some of you guys that is bad shooting.

Question: Should i adjust the elevation for long range stuff and then adjust back to the 80 yrd on the scope? Or just leave it alone and learn to compensate. I know they have scopes with dots that travel down the elevation. Not for the near future of this rifle.

Later this week we are putting up a 600 yard plate just to add to the fun.

I gotta get back to the loading bench, Cheers

stubshaft
01-18-2011, 04:54 AM
My personal preference is to just "hold over" using the thickness of the Duplex reticle or estimation of the boolits trajectory. I have never had much luck "dialing" up my scopes as the 2 Burris EER pistol scopes I used in Sillywett broke on me.

I know alot of Rifle shooters and Pistol shooters crank the knobs. But It is my preference.

Usually if I am looking through the scope anywhere other than the Range it is at something that bleeds and breathes, and I don't want to have to worry about whether or not I reset my scopes zero.

BTW - GREAT SHOOTING! It's always nice to show the condom shooters the error of their ways...

dubber123
01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
I would sight it in to where MOST of your shooting takes place. If most of it is at say, 200 yds. then I would zero there. The heavy part of a Duplex is often handy as an aiming point, at least the few times I tried it. Good shooting by the way!

2ndAmendmentNut
01-18-2011, 08:45 AM
I personally have sighted in my 30-06 for 200yards, which makes it about 1.5" high at 100yards. Good shooting!

Brithunter
01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Nice shooting :D

Not to detract but this might have some bearing on things:-

We both have rem 700s with scopes his mid 90s and mine early 70s.

Yours is probably better made than his ;-) although this says perhaps it's not too shabby:-

My buddy shot 10 of my boolits and hit it 4 out of 10 with his gun.

At present I am only just getting into cast shooting in rifles but I thought that you need to remove the jacket fouling before getting good performance from cast?

sqlbullet
01-18-2011, 10:48 AM
At present I am only just getting into cast shooting in rifles but I thought that you need to remove the jacket fouling before getting good performance from cast?

The honest answer is it depends, and your gun will have to tell you.

All my guns but one are dedicated lead bullet guns. I have de-coppered them thoroughly. The one that is not yet dedicated is likely to become a paper patch only gun. I have some test loads, but haven't gotten to the range to try them.

NSP64
01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Great shootin.
Like others, I have used the heavy post as an aiming point (I still do when shooting my 22LR at 200 yrds) , but on my .308 Savage , I bought a Centerpoint 4-16 x 40 lighted mil-dot scope($69.00@ wallyworld ). Once you use a mil-dot you'll never go back. They make doping in shots easy.

HighHook
01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
OK. Thanks guys for the info...

Correction on the Shooting Eggo between 2 friends. We agreed this morning i had 6 solid hits and 1 side hit. He had 2 solid and 2 side hits. [smilie=l:

Yesterday i made him clean his barrel before shooting my cast kind of a cheep field clean.

He said he had some leading in his barrel and i had next to nothing. Just like everybody we cast shooters have to keep beating in the ground the importance of bullet fit.[smilie=b:

I size my 165 sil at .311 thanks to you good people. I am trying to explain that he had copper buildup because of his leading and barrel wear from those condoms.:Fire:

My success of getting him convinced is his creative future nature of getting me piles of WW and lead for lots of boolits.
That is what its always about, Getting lots of lead. (The mad scientist smurk and smutter) Getting lots of lead...:drinks:

:cbpour::redneck:

atr
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
I tend to leave the sights alone and compensate

Hickory
01-18-2011, 01:38 PM
I tend to leave the sights alone and compensate

You are the 1,000,000th poster.

fishhawk
01-18-2011, 01:43 PM
not acording to the what i see still 4 posts to go. steve k

Hickory
01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
When it was at 999999, I kept clicking on the HomePage button.
When 1,000,000 came up on my screen, it was not a new thread , so, I assumed it was the last guy on the most recent post.

fishhawk
01-18-2011, 01:51 PM
not sure how it does the counting .

Hickory
01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Well, as my dad would say "Only God knows for sure."