PDA

View Full Version : Beginnings of success (44 One-Step & Univ. Notching Die)

MakeMineA10mm
01-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Just to bring everyone up to speed, I got my One-Step die from Brian a few months ago, and after muddling through the annealing process and seating some cores, I found that my plain cores were a little light for the full-length brass:
(My bullet is on the right - on the left is a sample bullet from Brian)
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=2758

I also figured out that adding a couple-three pieces of #7.5 shot in the bottom before seating the core, brought the lead up just above the jacket mouth.
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=2773

Satisfying, but I still wanted more. I felt a little more work/tools and it could become something more. Well, apparently, Brian was a few steps ahead of me... :grin:

He came out with his Universal Notching Die, which I got in December, but didn't get a chance to play with until recently. In the mean time, I kind-of got my second wind, and decided to experiment some more, especially with the notching die. Brian included two stems with my notching die - one is the notcher and the other is a dome-shaped stem that can be used to round-over the tip of a swaged bullet. I decided to experiment with the dome-punch first, and using those bullets with a touch of jacket extending beyond the core (maybe 1/32" or slightly more) were run through. Here's what I got:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=3161

I look at these as kind of a protected-point JHP-RN for pistols. I immediately thought of Brian and his Automag. I think these might be THE bullet for an autoloader in 44 Mag!! Brian, you should try this combination, buddy! I'm thinking these will be the cat's meow in that blaster!

So, I decided to play with the notching stem in the Universal Die. First attempts were rather ugly...
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=3167
(The best part of these "mistakes" is that they'll still shoot just fine!!! :lol: )

Then, I started questioning if I was having trouble due to the cores sitting so far below the jacket mouth... I only had a few bullets that I had made that I added the shot to, but I figured this is my educational/experimental stage still, right? I played with them, and quite frankly, I like ALL of these variations!!
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=3168
On the left is the bullet I started with. The next one was run through the notching die, and then barely re-ran through the one-step die to get the nose back to round and tapered properly. The third one was the same thing, but I ran it back in the one-step die all the way. The one on the far right was the same as the third one, but I then re-ran it into the Universal Die with the dome-stem inserted. It came our rather interesting... Sort of a notched Jacketed Hollow Soft-Point...

One of the things I did because I had so few of these longer-core bullets is that I started with them by barely running them into the dies and then going progressively deeper in stages. This got me some good success, but it also taught me something...

I learned that it was NOT necesarry to run bullets as far into the dies as necessary. Sometimes less is more. This dawning on me led me back to trying the JHPs with the short-cores. I think I struck pay-dirt!!
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=3163
I think I'm going to call these "Gold Talons" (a knock off of the old Win. Black Talons with our brass jackets being shinier/prettier/less-Darth Vader-looking! :D )

To make these, I ran those short-core bullets into my notching die with the notching stem set pretty agressively (deep notches). One must be careful with this, because you can buckle and compress (telescope) the jacket/bullet. Depend on ruining one or two bullets to get the depth adjustment just right...

Once notched, I ran them through the one-step die to get everything rounded-up again and to get the nose curved in. Now, right there, I was pretty pleased with that bullet. (Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of one at that stage -- got excited and ran them all through the next step...) Got to thinking, and decided that if I used that Dome-shaped stem in the Universal Die and just kissed the mouth of the bullet, that would give me a double-radius and really clean up the mouth where that jacket with no core underneath was at. Well, that's where I ended up, and I'm pretty happy with the way these look!
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=3164

I have noticed a couple things in using the universal die. The notcher and dome are "universal". You can use them for any caliber from probably .600" down to .224" (maybe smaller?), BUT this also means that the even-ness of the cut (for the notcher) or the round-over (for the dome) can get off-center, depending on how the stem interacts with the bullet (and probably how your press' ram aligns with the dies or even how deep you push in the bullet on the shell-holder). Caliber-specific would make a more-even product, but for the price and flexibility of this "Universal" die, I'm not unhappy AT ALL!

Another thing I thought of is that it would be cool to have another stem for that universal die that is a straight-taper to give a Truncated Cone shape. I was thinking something along the lines of the shape of the Lyman 356402 bullet, but make it just like the dome-stem, where it will work on anything from .600" down to .224". That way, it could be used to put a TC shape on any caliber bullet. I've shot Brian a PM and asked him for one, so we shall see!!

As you can see, I also ran these all through the citric-acid bath and polisher again. Got the jackets/bullets looking pretty, but it left the lead cores black...

Also, you can see I solved my issue with the cannelure tool. It was a couple things, but MAINLY, it just took messing with it and trying some bullets on it! What I figured out, rather quickly, was that I needed to apply the pressure pretty strongly down on the handle, and also inward, to keep the bullet back against the length adjustment stop. But, the BIGGEST thing that helped give me a perfect cannelure was to go around ONLY ONCE, which amounts to a little over half a revolution with the turning handle on my C-H tool. Going around over and over causes the bullet to start to run back and forth and makes the cannelure "run" and and not stay right where it's supposed to be. So go around ONCE (~ half a turn of the handle) and leave it at that!

MakeMineA10mm
01-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Here's another good comparison pic. On the left of both of these pairs of bullets is the bullet I started out with, which is the bullets made from the one-step die with either the short-core, or the long-core (with 3 added #7.5 shot). The right side of each pair is the same bullet after being run through the universal die with the dome-shaped stem:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=3162

MakeMineA10mm
01-18-2011, 01:14 AM
And, here's a double-row of my Golden Talons in front of a few rows of my Heavy Keith cast bullets. What most people can't imagine is that the jacketed are just as "home-made" as the cast boolits! :)
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=3165

And a close-up comparison of the two:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=3166

Grapeshot
01-18-2011, 02:44 PM
They look real good. But what kind of performance do you get from them? Are they accurate? Do they expand well, and have you recovered any fired bullets to show us?

MakeMineA10mm
01-18-2011, 09:07 PM
That's exactly next on my list of things to do, grapeshot!

I loaded 10 rounds of my reject/mistake bullets tonight, and have another 5 I have to re-run through the one-step die, because their noses mushroomed out when run through the dome-shaped die too far/hard.

I've loaded five each at 17.5grs of AA#9 and 18.5grs of AA#9. My last five will go 19.0grs of AA#9.

Then, I'm just waiting on a nice day when I can go out and set up the chronograph and see where I'm at velocity-wise.

MakeMineA10mm
01-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Here are some of my mistakes that I've decided to load in increments to see where my max load really is. I'm not going to shoot these into any kind of media or worry too much if the accuracy is off, because these are all asymetrical and the jackets' mouths are not perfectly formed or even formed the way the "Buzzsaw JHPs" are. Might try them on some water jugs, but not mixing up the gelatin for these error-bullets...

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=3207

I only have enough for 4-5 rounds per load-level, so I'm going to try a couple in the S&W and a couple in the Marlin 1894 for pressure, velocity, and accuracy (well, sort-of "accuracy"...)

Blind Eye
01-28-2011, 03:48 PM
So far I have treid mine with 17, 17.5, and 18.5 grns of 2400. The best groups came from 17.5 grns. 18.5 was showing sighns of over pressure on the primers. Its only been in the 20`s here so I am not sure if that effects the powder. I thought I read on here that 2400 could get a little funny in the cold.

Ballard
01-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Blind eye, what do your bullets weigh?

45nut
01-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Man the stuff done in this area blows me away,, I never imagined the interest in swaging would be so strong!

Blind Eye
01-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Ballard, they average 252 grns. I swaged around 150 of them. After that I went through and weighed each one and placed them into their own cups. I have about a 7 grn spread on them but I use different brands of brass. I hate to say it but they shoot better than any cast boolits I have made. I shoot a Super Black Hawk old model if that helps any. You got to love this site.

MakeMineA10mm
01-28-2011, 06:57 PM
So far I have treid mine with 17, 17.5, and 18.5 grns of 2400. The best groups came from 17.5 grns. 18.5 was showing sighns of over pressure on the primers. Its only been in the 20`s here so I am not sure if that effects the powder. I thought I read on here that 2400 could get a little funny in the cold.

Blind Eye,
That's very interesting. I look at AA9 as the ball powder version of 2400, but just a touch slower, so based on your experience, my estimates should be right in there as far as acceptable pressure.

My understanding is 2400 is somewhat temperature-sensitive, so for during the Summer you may want to consider 17.0-17.5grs as max.

When I get home, I think I'll swage up some 265-270gr JHPs, and then cut the extractor groove off them. On my brass this typically removes 15-16grs of weight. That way they'll end up the same weight as these (or really close), but they won't extend down as far into the case. I'll load them with the 19.0gr load and then compare base expansion, velocity, and other pressure signs to see how they compare to these when I eventually get to the range.

MakeMineA10mm
01-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Man the stuff done in this area blows me away,, I never imagined the interest in swaging would be so strong!

It's mostly the "fault" of that BT Sniper guy. He makes it so easy and reasonably-priced, you almost can't help yourself getting some dies!!

Of course, you realize you are probably going to have to change your sig line now to be less condescending to jacketed bullets... [smilie=1:

:holysheep
:castmine:
AND
:swagemine:

Blind Eye
01-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Yep its BT`s fault. Lol.

I started casting 3 years ago using my fathers old stuff including all the molds and presses. It sat dormit since the 80`s. Now I have yet another addiction inside of an addiction.

The neat thing about all of this is that my son is the third generation on the same equipment and firearms. WOW

:cbpour:

BT Sniper
01-28-2011, 10:01 PM

Just getting started and come on, everyone is doing it :)

Good to see you around Ken, I'll get a hold of you soon.

BT