PDA

View Full Version : reloader22 in autoloader

emorris
01-18-2011, 12:06 AM
I have been using hodgen H4831sc for my .270 win loads with 130gn bullets out of my bolt gun. and I recently started developing a load using reloader 22. I have been using reloader 22 in 7mm rem mag and wanted to try the same powder for both since I am out of the h4831sc. My problem is that I want to start hunting with my remington 7400 semi auto in 270 win, but I have read somewhere at some point in time that the slower powders would batter the actions of semi auto rifles due to there being too much gases or the wrong pressure curve. I have also been told that the 7400 action is prone to wearing out quickly. Mine was bought new in around 2003 and has not seen much action from the back of the gun safe. My goals for this load is to be a good 150yrd deer round for hunting wooded area. I considered moving up to 150gn bullets, but I have a stock pile of 130gn hornady 130gn sp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

madsenshooter
01-18-2011, 02:48 AM
Talk to a Remington technician. They'd probably be able to handle a question about gas pressure for this particular action. Most modern designs bleed off excess pressures rather than allowing them to batter the action, as older designs did, and I'm going to say you'll be just fine with RL22.

roysha
01-18-2011, 11:51 AM
If you call REM they will tell you do not reload for any of their guns since that voids any liability on REM's part.

I am a huge REM fan and have been for 60+ years but this is one REM I have never owned and have no desire to own. I have seen more damaged beyond repair (from just "normal" use, mostly by guys shooting factory ammo) REM 74** series rifles than all the other REM rifles put together. This observation is from 40+years of gunsmithing. Unless it is quite new, REM just laughs when you send it back for repair, which normally will run close to the cost of a new rifle.

Yes, the slow powders will ultimately shorten the life of the auto loader for the reasons you mentioned. Usually the action is trying to open while the pressure is still too high and eventually the locking lugs seize or become so mishapen they no longer allow the bolt to rotate and unlock.

Even a rifle as indestructible as the M1 Garand can be damaged (usually a bent op rod) using too slow burning powder and a heavier bullet. Typical Garand load is 4895 and 150 grain bullet.

Of course most of this would depend on how much you shoot it. Ten shots a year probably will last you a lifetime with virtually any reasonable load.