PDA

View Full Version : Bubba's new stock

Nora
01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Been working on turning a bastardized Mauser into a respectable brush gun for deer. Today I was able to get the bulk of the stock to my liking. I bought a budget unfinished stock and African Ebony block from Brownell's. The recoil pad is a Pachmayr that I bought years ago for another rifle but never installed. So far I've got about 50 hours into it and have yet to make and install the skeleton grip cap but am happy with it's progress so far and just wanted to share. I've left the bolt area untouched. When heat dissipation paste is back in stock and I can get my hands on some I've got another handle that will be going on.

The other stock is what came on the rifle when I got it.

Nora

Buckshot
01-18-2011, 02:11 AM
..............Nicely done stock so far. Is it going to be an oil finish or poly? The original (military conversion?) had some interesting 'details', didn't it :-) My main woodworking tools are, chainsaw, 4 wedges, and a sledgehammer :-)

...............Buckshot

PatMarlin
01-18-2011, 03:11 AM
Bubba may be broken hearted, Nora but your work looks great!

My Dad has jump wings like yours.

WILCO
01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Looks great so far!

home in oz
01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Looks good!

Got close up shots?

Charlie Sometimes
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Yea, got close ups?
That's nice wood grain for a budget stock!
What caliber is it?
It looks real good- that will make someone a nice rifle!

Save that old stock for checkering practice.
Maybe make grips or knife scales out of it. :smile:

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
"Bubba" must be my middle name,
I think the Mil conversion looks pretty good.

the butchered milsurp sporters I've bought must have not been worked on by a Bubba,
more like a Ham-fisted doofus.

In fact, I had a savage 24-C (22lr over 20 ga.)
that had a hand carved game scene that looked like stick figures scratched on a cave wall.
Once I had sanded out the game scene, I had one slim buttstock :(
Jon

Nora
01-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Here's a couple of the close ups. It's still an 8mm Mauser. Had to change the bolt body to get it to head space correctly and seems to do well enough to be left alone (for now, still in a 7 mm Mauser / .257 Roberts indecision). Before the stock arrived I was thinking Watco's Danish oil then polly to doctor up the the anticipated blandness. Now I am leaning toward a linseed oil finish as the grain and color is much better than originally anticipated.

Nora

Charlie Sometimes
01-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Give it a good satin Tru-Oil/ Linspeed type oil finish using slurry method, and that baby will look "purty as a speckled pup"! :grin:
Buff/polish up the bolt and duracoat everything else, and it will look spectacular!
If you don't like 8x57, then how about making it an 8mm-06?
Either would be good, IMHO.

lead-1
01-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Looking pretty darn good, the last time I tried to work a stock I decided that it would be the last. I did refinish a couple and like the truoil or linseed oil finish, one I stopped at oil and one I cleared with satin clear.

Doc1
01-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Very nice conversion, but I wouldn't bemoan the fact that it's "still an 8mm Mauser." IMHO, the 7.92x57 is one of the world's truly great rounds and is grossly under-appreciated by US shooters. If the bore is good, I don't think you'd go far wrong by just leaving it alone.

Best regards
Doc

Nora
01-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Very nice conversion, but I wouldn't bemoan the fact that it's "still an 8mm Mauser." IMHO, the 7.92x57 is one of the world's truly great rounds and is grossly under-appreciated by US shooters. If the bore is good, I don't think you'd go far wrong by just leaving it alone.

Best regards
Doc

I also really feel the 7.92x57 is an excellent sporting round. That was and would be my first choice in this case for re barreling. However nobody makes one with a #3 sporter taper, or any 7.92x57 short chambered sporter barrel for that matter. First thing will be to cut off the last inch or so to get to good rifling and recrown. It doesn't shoot to bad now and will be just fine for the Tamarack swaps I'm building it to hunt in. The rebarreling would / will be to get rid of the unsightly gap in the barrel channel. It was ruff cut for a sporter barrel wile the existing one is the military step barrel. I'm sure though that if the targets look good I'll more than likely be able to over look that and not loose any sleep.

No_1
01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
ER Shaw will cut a 8mm barrel.
#3 taper http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-contours-and-weights.php
with a
1-9.5 twist. http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-twist-rates.php

Nora
01-18-2011, 11:23 PM
no 1 have you bought from him before? If the accuracy and service is as nice as the price then I'm interested for sure.

Nora

Charlie Sometimes
01-18-2011, 11:46 PM
So it is NOT a 8mm, or is, and just not the profile you want? :confused:

nicholst55
01-19-2011, 12:19 AM
no 1 have you bought from him before? If the accuracy and service is as nice as the price then I'm interested for sure.

Nora

I've got an ER Shaw barrel in 6.5-06 on a 1903 Springfield sporter; I ordered their helical fluting, and I really like it. It shoots better than I can hold, and I would buy another.

Nora
01-19-2011, 02:09 AM
So it is NOT a 8mm, or is, and just not the profile you want? :confused:

It's the original military barrel installed at birth in 1945 (7.92x57). Nothing wrong with the chambering and it does shoot fine. I just don't like the profile for this project. If and when it gets replaced I am going to keep it, it's not in that bad of shape.

Nora

No_1
01-19-2011, 06:35 AM
I have not purchased one yet but have an action waiting on the funds so it can be sent. I have heard very good things about them from other members and have seen an article review on a 22-250 build up using a shaw barrel. All were positive.

Robert

Nora

x101airborne
01-20-2011, 08:29 AM
I have bougt and used around 10 Adams and Bennett barrels on O3A3 and mauser barrels alike. I even keep around 6 on hand for different projects and convenience. I fully endorse A&B and they will shoot with any of my Krieger or Hart barreled rifles. And at 100.00 shipped, ya just cant beat em.

Charlie Sometimes
01-20-2011, 11:02 AM
It's the original military barrel installed at birth in 1945 (7.92x57). Nothing wrong with the chambering and it does shoot fine. I just don't like the profile for this project. If and when it gets replaced I am going to keep it, it's not in that bad of shape.

Nora

It is properly fitted to this one, and if you are going to keep it anyway, I'd leave it on this action. Clean it up and get it reblued, etc. It will grow on you. This way you won't have to spend twice the money in the long run either. :smile: