PDA

View Full Version : No handles will fit my RCBS mould

Ohio Rusty
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I got in the mail a set of RCBS .38 mould blocks I bought. Geez-o-pete ... lt looks like I'm going to have to find a set of large RCBS handles that will fit these 2 banger blocks. I tried 2 different sets of Lyman handles, and a set of Lee 6 cavity handles. None of them would fit in the skinny slots in the sides of mould blocks. My T/C handles fit in the slot, but the attachment arms are too short to bolt the blocks to. I have also discovered RCBS handles are expensive .... Will ANY set of large RCBS handles fit RCBS blocks, or do I need to look for a special pair for these blocks? I hate to buy something mail order and find out they don't fit.
Ohio Rusty ><>

BCall
01-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Is it an RCBS mould or a Lachmiller? I have a Lachmiller that had thin handles slots in it, otherwise it looks exactly like an RCBS. Luckily I had a set of handles here that look just like RCBS, but aren't. They were a bit thinner than RCBS handles so I just filed them down to fit the Lachmiller and use them just for that mold.

The slot on a normal RCBS mold measures at a bit over .295, while the Lachmiller measurea .250. The RCBS handles I have measure at about .295. The Lyman 4 cavity ones measure at .245 though, so they might work.

I'd probably just file down a set of Lee handles to fit if it was me.

PacMan
01-17-2011, 08:06 PM
I think that RCBS sells only one handle and if it is an RCBS mold ther handles will fit. Having said that you may very well be able to make the lee or lyman handles work with a little filling so they will fit in the slot. But you may also have to file the inside of the jaws also if the mold does not close correctly.
I fitted a pair of Saeco handles to a RCBS mold by sanding them thinner but also had to file the inside of the jaws closesets to the handle so that the mold would close properly.

MT Gianni
01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Before I owned some RCBS handles I thinned a set of Lee's and redrilled them. It works but it is alot of file time if you don't have a grinder handy.

Ohio Rusty
01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
The mould block says RCBS 38-162 SWC. It looks like RCBS handles are around $40 everywhere ...... sigh ... After this set .... no more RCBS moulds for me ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

Uncle R.
01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
The mould block says RCBS 38-162 SWC. It looks like RCBS handles are around $40 everywhere ...... sigh ... After this set .... no more RCBS moulds for me ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

After the handles are purchased there's little reason not to buy more RCBS blocks. I think if you try using them you'll like 'em. They are second only to H&Gs in my personal preference.

oldhickory
01-17-2011, 08:36 PM
I would buy the RCBS handles and more RCBS molds:drinks: They are good molds!

Ole
01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Sand the Lee handles down a bit and they'll fit.

RobS
01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
I ground down Lee handles and finish smooth with a file. $12-$14 for Lee handles and it was worth me fitting them. I have had Lee 6 cav handles on every mold I've had and where needed I simply fit them to the mold.

mold maker
01-17-2011, 09:03 PM
LEE handles on sale at Midway for less tham $12. If ya mess them up, toss and start over.

montana_charlie
01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
If you are going to buy new handles, and if you don't want to 'adapt' them to an RCBS mould, Red River Rick sells the finest handles on the planet for 32 bucks.
http://kal.castpics.net/Handles.html

CM

That'll Do
01-18-2011, 09:18 PM
After the handles are purchased there's little reason not to buy more RCBS blocks. I think if you try using them you'll like 'em. They are second only to H&Gs in my personal preference.

I would buy the RCBS handles and more RCBS molds:drinks: They are good molds!

I agree, I love RCBS molds! I wish they made them larger than 2 cavity. I'd buy them in a heartbeat–they are really well made molds.

reloader28
01-18-2011, 09:39 PM
I ground down a set of Lyman handles to fit RCBS and then redrilled them to fit Saeco.

When I got the Lee 6 cavity handles, all I had to do was hit them with the belt sander a little to fit RCBS.

I really like the RCBS and Saeco molds. They are worth the money in my opinion.

bhn22
01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Is it an RCBS mould or a Lachmiller? I have a Lachmiller that had thin handles slots in it, otherwise it looks exactly like an RCBS. Luckily I had a set of handles here that look just like RCBS, but aren't. They were a bit thinner than RCBS handles so I just filed them down to fit the Lachmiller and use them just for that mold.

The slot on a normal RCBS mold measures at a bit over .295, while the Lachmiller measurea .250. The RCBS handles I have measure at about .295. The Lyman 4 cavity ones measure at .245 though, so they might work.

I'd probably just file down a set of Lee handles to fit if it was me.

Aha! That explains why I have one set of RCBS handles that is notably thinner than my other RCBS handles. I was going to call RCBS & chew them out over them.

pistolman44
01-22-2011, 01:08 AM
I have a set of handles from Red River Rick that are for Lyman 4 cavity mold that I use on my rcbs 2 cavity mold.

Alchemist
01-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Another vote of confidence for RCBS moulds. I have 9 of them so far...good casting moulds.

RCBS handles are also good quality.