PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Powder Measure, BLC2, Boolits and M1 Garand??

MikeSSS
11-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I load military rifle ammo on a Dillon 550B using 155 gr cast Boolits and 16 gr of 2400 through a Dillon Powder measure, it works just fine. But 2400 is too fast for hotter loads.

Got an M1 Garand the other day and the 16 gr of 2400 shoots great but does not cycle the action. I'll need a slower powder and more of it.

Dillon powder measures are not supposed to work well with 4895 and Varget. Rats.

But BLC2 has shot good in everything I have tried it in. BLC2 granulation looks more like a pistol powder and pistol powders measure very well in my Dillon powder measures.

BLC2's burn rate is very close to that of 4895. Typically you use about 1.5 gr less of BLC2 than 4895.

A common M1 Garand cast bullet load of 4895 is 35.5 gr.

I'll probably load 34.5 gr of BLC2 and try a couple clips of it and see what happens.

All ideas, advice or comments are welcome.

straightshooter1
11-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I use 4895 and Varget in mine and have for years. Consistency in charge weights with the Dillon is in the consistency of the use of the handle. I try to be very consistent, smoothly down, pause to let all the powder drop into the case, smoothly up and rotate.

It is the jerky movements that mess up the weights on the extruded powders. There are lots of threads on the Dillons including a couple on this problem on brianenos.com.

Bob

grumpy one
11-03-2006, 07:38 PM
BLC(2), called AR2206 in Australia, is quite a bit faster than H4895 (AR2206H in Australia). H335 and W748 fit in between those two powders with regard to speed. I suspect you'll need to reduce your load by more than one grain.

I'll be interested to see how you do with BLC(2) in your Garand. I gave up trying to use it in my 30-30 because it was too fast. So far I've found I need slower powders in the 30-06 than in the 30-30 with the same bullet weight, to get any reasonable velocity before the bullet base collapses, so I haven't even tried BLC(2) or H4895. Maximum accurate load with Varget in my 30-06 is only 39 grains, which gives pretty unexciting velocity and a group size of 1.1". I can get a better velocity with 52 grains of H4831 (AR2213SC in Australia) but so far it groups at 2" at 55 yards, which is just plain unsatisfactory. I'm still looking into that, though. Obviously I'm not suggesting H4831 for your Garand - it seems to lay some serious carbon in the barrel, which probably wouldn't go well in your gas port. It might also be implicated in the lousy groups.

I can understand you liking BLC(2) and Varget. They both seem to burn clean and leave clean case necks - I used to really like BLC(2) for 87 grain jacketed bullets in 303-25 when I shot that caliber many years ago. However BLC(2) may not be the solution for a Garand - a slightly slower powder should give you more gas port pressure as well as more velocity before you run out of bullet strength. I'd expect Varget to be a considerably better bet.

If you try the loads I've mentioned, bear in mind that all of them were developed for 22 BHN bullets. They'd have to be reduced for softer bullets, which might give bigger group sizes - my groups seemed to get bigger if I went below 37 grains of Varget, unless I went all the way down to 25 grains.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Mike,

You can fit a Hornady CAPD LnL powder measure or an RCBS unit (They're about the same unit, can't think of the RCBS one's name right now) right up to your Dillon progressive. Both units handle the 4895 powder beautifully. I load 30.06 on my Hornady LnL progressive regularly using 4895. Works great.

The powder measure and the CAPD die aren't terribly expensive, about the same as a Dillon measure or a few bucks less from Midway. Were I you, I'd go that route and keep your Dillon measure to load pistol. Lots of fellas have done that in the past.

Regards,

Dave

MikeSSS
11-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Today I shot two clips, 16 rds, of 35 gr BLC2 loads using the Lee 312155 bullets. The shooting was for function and not for accuracy. (But offhand accuracy seemed OK. The bullets made a much deeper impression on a mild steel plate than those powered by 16 gr of 2400.

I don't feel the bolt or op rod hitting anything at the back of the stroke. It probably did hit just not hard enough to feel. The action cycled and the cartriges fed except for one time when the action short stroked. After the last shot the bolt locked back but the clip did not eject. The cases did not show any pressure problems. This rifle has a tight chamber, the resizing die doesn't do a lot of work.

I'll try some 4895 in a few days. The object is to hold bullet velocity down while having the action cycle well and eject the clip after the last shot.

If I can use 4895 in a Dillon measure just by holding the handle down for a moment, that would simplify life. I have a few Dillon powder measures and could dedicate one to this project, but also have a spare RCBS Uniflow that could be used.

There is the linkage that operates a Uniflow, I got a handle on that. But tell me more about how the Uniflow mounts on the tool head.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-04-2006, 02:55 PM
If you've already got a Uniflow, I'd go that route for sure using the rifle powder cylinder in the Uniflow. The Hornady case activated powder drop (CAPD) is configured just like any other die and you screw it right into your toolhead just like you would a die. You then mount your Uniflow right on top of the CAPD and adjust it per instructions. Piece of cake and you're good to go. Here's a link for what you'd need, available at Midwayusa:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=591344

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=802477

Pick whichever brand you want. Hornady makes the die for RCBS and I'm hearing RCBS is making the powder measure for Hornady now, so whichever brand you buy, you're getting the same thing. Both setups will work with your RCBS Uniflow. Were I you, I'd order the Hornady version and save some cash.

Once you screw it into your press and adjust it the first time, all you'll have to do is set the powder measure for whatever powder weight you're using. Much more convenient than the Dillon measure. (BTW, I've owned a 550 before, so I'm familiar with the Dillon measure.)

Hope this helps,

Dave

MikeSSS
11-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Dave,

This is exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks.

Mike S

straightshooter1
11-06-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure, but it doesn't look like that outfit will fit on the Dillon toolhead. If it doesn't, Dillon makes a powder die so that other powder measures from other manufacturers can be used on the 550, etc.

So, before you spend your $, if you want to use it with the Dillon, call Dillon and ask them what you need to do to use a Uniflow on your 550.

Bob

robertbank
11-06-2006, 08:57 PM
I went 20 gr 2400 in my Husquavarna 30-06 with excellent results under Lyman's 311291 bullet. Weight is 170 gr GC which gave me velocity of 1777 over my Chrony. Three shot group under .5" at 100 yards in my rifle from a rest with a scope.

Take Care

Bob

7of7
03-12-2011, 01:36 AM
...I gave up trying to use it in my 30-30 because it was too fast....

I use BLC2 for my 30-30 loads, (jacketed bullets) but they are 130 grain bullets, not the 170 grain ones. meters well and very consistant.
I will see how it works with gas checked boolits. Still in the 130 grain weight.

MikeSSS, You may want to consider an adjustable gas plug. With one of those, you start with it all the way open so the rifle doesn't cycle, and you close it slowly until you get to the point where it cycyles reliably. What this does, is prevents you from damaging anything by beating up the bolt or op rod.
They are available at Midway.com