PDA

View Full Version : Lee 44 molds

sh00ter787
01-17-2011, 05:02 PM
After having my first casting session just yesterday with .312 molds I am already thinking of other calibers to do!

Lee is really my only option at the moment due to cost, I'm looking at the 429-214-SWC mold, any thoughts?
I like the lighter bullets as they like both my revolver and winchester, also SWC are hard to come by here as most are RNFP and I miss nice neat holes in the target!
I also want it plain base with lube grooves as I'll be pan lubing them.

Any negative issues with this mold or bullet type as opposed to the heavier ones?

Thanks

stubshaft
01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
If you and your guns like lighter boolits then there should be no problem. I used to shoot 210gr. 44 cal. boolits from a SAECO mould and they worked fine in my 44 SBH and Marlin rifle.

MT Gianni
01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
The Lee 214 is listed as a SWC but IME is more of a RN.

RobS
01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Note though: The boolit diameter of a mold and the diameter ideally need for your revolver. Most Lee molds are casting out at or .001-.002 over which is a crapshoot, but at least Lee molds cast at or over. If your gun works with the boolit size dropped then you'll be happy. Should the mold you receive cast small for your firearm, you'll more than likely not be happy. There is the possibility of "Beagling" the mold (using aluminum tape between the mold blocks) or lapping it out "Leementing" should you need to cast larger diameter boolits.

It's about boolit fit and assuming your cylinder throats are .001 or more over your barrels groove diameter then you'll be set by filling the cylinder throats (sizing to the cylinder throat diameters).

sh00ter787
01-18-2011, 01:14 AM
The Lee 214 is listed as a SWC but IME is more of a RN.
I had wondered that, the more more I look at the picture the rounder it gets! Thanks for the info

It's about boolit fit and assuming your cylinder throats are .001 or more over your barrels groove diameter then you'll be set by filling the cylinder throats (sizing to the cylinder throat diameters).
Thanks, a really simple explanation to something I was gunna have to read up on!

oscarflytyer
01-18-2011, 04:07 PM

Thanx Rob. Guess I am lucky in at least one arena. Throats on mine are .432 and bbl is .431!

RayinNH
01-18-2011, 04:53 PM
shOOter, I have the mold and like it. I use it in .44 Special cases. It is a bit of a round nose but does have the square shoulder, and cuts a nice hole in paper. As a bonus for target work, you do get to save 40-50 grains of lead per shot...Ray