PDA

View Full Version : USFA Sparrow Hawk

msp2640
01-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Gents - I'm sure a few here have seen the write up in the recent Handloader magazine, but has anyone seen/ handled/ or own one of these? I've always been interested in a 32-20 SAA, but this is defintely a nice revolver, especially if a second cylinder could be made up in 32-20 to go along with the 327 caliber. USFA already produces a regular 32-20, so I don't believe it would be a major undertaking to have the cylinder made up, eventhough it's not listed on their website - any thoughts? Bill L

As luck would have it - none of the USFA handguns are compliant with the current Mass regulations - so therefore I'll never own one unless the laws change - I hate this state.........

9.3X62AL
01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the "heads up", MSP. One of the very few concessions to common sense in the California handgun restrictions was to remove single-action "Colt pattern" revolvers from the safety requirements imposed on most other handguns in this Worker's Paradise.

bbs70
01-17-2011, 03:58 PM
I can't help you with the gun in question.
But I bought a USFA Rodeo from Longhunter several months ago.
It is the best ever single action I have ever owned.
Accurate with almost anything I feed it.

I've owned several blackhawks and one NV, they were alright but ended up selling them.
The USFA is a keeper and has a home for life.

You might contact Longhunter (http://www.longhunt.com/contact.htm) and see what he has to say about them.
Great guy and very helpful.

And ,just out of curiosity, why aren't USFA guns compliant in Mass.

ktw
01-17-2011, 04:08 PM
especially if a second cylinder could be made up in 32-20 to go along with the 327 caliber. USFA already produces a regular 32-20, so I don't believe it would be a major undertaking to have the cylinder made up, eventhough it's not listed on their website - any thoughts? Bill L

It looks like an 8 shot 327. There may not be a lot of room to play with when boring for a larger cartridge head.

And it lists at $1400. I might consider a single six sized gun for something less than $900. Adjustable sights are a plus, but if it's close to SAA in size I'd rather just have a 6 shot "real" SAA for that kind of money.

-ktw

9.3X62AL
01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
I can't speak with knowledge on MA laws, but in CA the hang-up was on Colt-type SAA systems that could allow an unintended discharge in a dropped revolver carried with loaded chamber under a lowered hammer. Parties at interest (NRA, CAS organizations, CRPA) pointed out the long-established practice of loading 5 of 6 chambers and lowering the hammer onto an empty chamber in these systems, and CA signed off on it. At about the same time, target pistols with detachable magazines outside the handle/butt like the Walther GSP-series were removed from definition as "assault weapons". Make that two concessions to reality in the same century--almost an epiphany in this Carjacker's Themepark.

targetshootr
01-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Looked pretty good except the rear sight looks like someone left a matchbox on it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/sparrowhawk-b1.jpg

msp2640
01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Re: the MA Laws on newly made handguns - I know that there are a few requirements about drop testing for accidental discharges, along with a few other requirements (I believe one is having the serial number etched in a few different spots for tracing) Alot of Manufacturers simply won't comply with the red tape, like Kimber and Springfield Armory, so their handguns can't be sold here. It's simply a pain in the a$$, when something new comes on the market (ie the Sparrow Hawk) that interests you and the first thing you have to check is if it's Mass Compliant - I bet there hasn't been a crime committed with a Colt SAA or a clone of it, here in the last 40-50 years. I've given alot of thought about buying an older Ruger or Colt (which can be legally transferred) and having it converted to 32-20 and refinished like new just to legally "skirt" the law, but it will cost me a couple of grand to do so - I just hate this state's firearms laws - rant off, but anger continues - Bill L

msp2640
01-17-2011, 04:54 PM
The shop you posted about in another thread is the same one that produced the Ruger from the Sparrow Hawk article - he does some very nice work - Bill L

Potsy
01-17-2011, 05:29 PM
I saw that same article. I don't have a lot of need for a .32 revovler but USFA's sure can make me drool.
Another one to think about, I handled a single six .32 H & R a while back. Sweet feelin' little pistol. It didn't have adjustable sights, not sure if they make one that does.

My heart goes out to you guys in CA & MA. We all deal with enought stupid people without our state governments being populated by them.

targetshootr
01-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Your shop is the first one I think of when I contemplate refinishing an older Ruger or Colt - It's saved as one of my favorites. I'm defintely keeping you in mind - very, very nice work on the partner Ruger to that Sparrow Hawk in the article by the way - Bill L

Thanks but I don't have a shop. I may as well take the credit though, so, you're welcome.

msp2640
01-17-2011, 05:57 PM
I edited the post - sorry about that - He does do some great work. I did save the link after you posted anyway - so....... Thank you Bill L

exile
01-19-2011, 05:03 AM
I know nothing first-hand about USFA revolvers, but Hamilton Bowen's conversions of the single-six to .327 Federal make me wish I was rich. $ 1400.00 is pretty pricey, maybe he could work up a MA compliant gun in 32/20 for you?

exile

MT Gianni
01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=Potsy;1126594]I saw that same article. I don't have a lot of need for a .32 revovler but USFA's sure can make me drool.
Another one to think about, I handled a single six .32 H & R a while back. Sweet feelin' little pistol. It didn't have adjustable sights, not sure if they make one that does.
QUOTE]

Not now but they used to and show up regularly on Auction sites. I paid $425 for one last year with ADJ sites and a 5.5" bbl.