PDA

View Full Version : Any reliable loads for a .35 Remington.

Chris Smith
01-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Hello this is my first post here so look over any mistakes. I have a 1911 vintage Remington Model 8 in .35 Rem that I hunt with and have taken a few deer. I have the Lyman 358315 mold and cast from wheel weights, size .359 and use gas checks and lube with Lyman Super Moly(it's what I have) . My question is actually two parts. My load data is for loads that wont cycle the action very well and I dont get what I call hunting grade accuracy. I generally only load enough for a hunting trip so I use a Lee Loader but I do have a die set. With Jacketed 200 grain bullets the rifle will shoot three rounds at around 2 to 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards. Thats good enough for me. I have a good selection of powder and don't care to hot rod the old rifle but if anyone has a reliable combination I'd like to try it. Thanks and have a great day.

Larry Gibson
01-17-2011, 12:45 PM
I've a bolt action .35 Rem not a Mdl 8. I never did get what I consider even "hunting accuracy" with the Lyman 358315 abouve 1600 - 1700 fps. I switched to the RCBS 35-200-FN abd have had excellent results with it both in accuracy and in killing deer. I use 37 -38 gr 4895 (depending on flavor) for 2150 fps out of my 26" barrel. That may or may not be a little much for your Mdl 8 as I don't know. I do suggest 4895 with either bullet and suggest starting at 30 gr and working up until the functioning and accuracy meet your expectaions. If accuracy remains a problem then I suggest the RCBS bullet.

Larry Gibson

excess650
01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
I think Larry's pointing you in the right direction. Start with The RCBS 35-200FN and 4895 or quicker burning powder. Start low and work up until you get reliable functioning in that recoil operated rifle.

Have you cleaned out the copper and old fouling?

Have you slugged it?

smokemjoe
01-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I use in my Rem. 760 pump,32 gr. 4895 and the RCBS gas checked 200 gr. shoots same at 50 yds. and 100 yds. Use 1/2 pure lead and 1/2 WWs. for deer hunting. You can start at 28 grs. and work up, Keep your alloy soft, I almost lost a deer with to hard alloy. lino, Blowed up under skin on rib. For a few shots I am going to 3/4 pure lead and 1 /4 WWs. next. Hope this helps.

Chris Smith
01-17-2011, 02:10 PM
It had quite a bit of copper fouling when I got it and the usual methods were not really working so I used my electronic cleaner and got out enough copper to make a bullet. The bore shows use but it's in decent shape considering the age and how much use. I haven't slugged the bore yet. I had considered the RCBS mold but didn't get it as it's a flat point and I thought it might not feed from the magazine very good. Could be wrong though.

richhodg66
01-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Chris, I remember seeing under the Hunting forum on here a thread in November that a member on here posted who uses a model 8 with cast bullets and has killed several deer with it. I don't recall what his load was, but try looking there.

I love the .35 Remington. Mine is an old pre-Micro Groove Marlin that shoots well and I have takend a couple of deer with, but never with a cast bullet. Someday I will though.

NHlever
01-17-2011, 10:12 PM
The load my Marlin 35 Remington stays sighted in for is the RCBS 35-200 FN over the accuracy load that Lyman gives for AA-2015 in the 49th loading manual. It shoots very well with both the RCBS bullet, and the Hornady 200 gr. roundnose. They shoot to the same point of impact at 100 yards too which is very nice.

ElDorado
01-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Here are a few threads that may help-

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=55299&highlight=remington+model

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=98547&highlight=remington+model

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=21270&highlight=remington+model

Thanks to Chris for bringing up the subject, and thanks to Rich for pointing me in the right direction. I was getting ready to pose the same question myself. I had spent a little time over the weekend searching the CB loads forum for some Model 8 loads. It never occurred to me to look in the hunting forums. I've lurked in Cast Boolits off and on for over a year, but I've only recently taken a good look at the site, so I'm still learning my way around. There's lots of good information here.

It seems all of the 35 Remington shooters use Marlins these days. Even Lyman used a Marlin for their CB handbook. You never can tell if those loads will cycle the Model 8s action. I'm sure I could come up with a load that would work, but it sure is nice to see what other people have done.

Thanks also to the guys who posted their work. I may splurge for a 358315 mould after all.

Chris Smith
01-18-2011, 08:06 AM
I appreciate the advice from everyone. There's a gun show soon and I'll look for the RCBS mold. If the rain will slack up some I'll make a trip to the local range with what I have. Thanks again, Chris.

madsenshooter
01-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Accurate's 2015 has been best in my Marlin 336 with BaBore's 362-220. I tried 4895 (Barlett's surplus that burns like 4064) but a case full didn't produce enough pressure to seal the case and left unburned powder, so you'll definitely want to go with powders faster than that. 2015 has been the only powder I've tried so far that has given me single digit standard deviations.

NHlever
01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Accurate's 2015 has been best in my Marlin 336 with BaBore's 362-220. I tried 4895 (Barlett's surplus that burns like 4064) but a case full didn't produce enough pressure to seal the case and left unburned powder, so you'll definitely want to go with powders faster than that. 2015 has been the only powder I've tried so far that has given me single digit standard deviations.

I tried a lot of loads with IMR 4895 behind the RCBS 200 FN, and ran into the same problems. When the bullet was cast soft I couldn't build enough pressure to get the velocitiy that I needed. I tried turning down the expander button, and that just resized my bullets. Eventually I tried a harder alloy, and that worked fine, but defeated the hunting goals I had in mind. With jacketed bullets, or those cast to 15 or, so brinnell the IMR 4895 was excellent. When I saw that Lyman had used the AA-2015 for their "accuracy" load I gave it a try, and had excellent results. Now those bullets group around an inch at 100 yards......... usually a bit over, and pack the punch I need. It could well be that a larger diameter bullet, or some other change would have worked out better for me than my initial results, but when a blind boar finds an acorn he eats it. :D

Chris Smith
01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
What is the load with 2015? I have most of a pound of it but my newest Lyman manual was printed back when Carter was president.

madsenshooter
01-19-2011, 12:23 AM
mines too hot for your model 8 Chris, let's see I had some data somewhere here. I have gone as high as 39gr in my 336. This is above the SAAMI Max for the cartridge, so start 10% lower and work up, I didn't keep my workup data. Between my high tin alloy and a hollowpoint, my 220gr bullet winds up weighing 204gr. Some one had posted a link to Ranch Dogs load data for the Marliin, it had 2015, but I can't find it now. Hey, that group buy for the 200gr NOE RCBS clone isn't closed yet: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=97669&highlight=ranch+dog&page=4