PDA

View Full Version : Dip Lubing

Boz330
01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
I've seen this referred to several times lately and I have never tried it. Anybody care to give a quick tutorial on it. Sounds like you just dip the boolit into melted lube but is there anything else to consider. Thanks.

Bob

Don McDowell
01-17-2011, 11:33 AM
That's about all there is to it, just make sure the grooves are full, might need to double dip..
After that you treat the bullets as you would pan lubed.

kokomokid
01-17-2011, 12:25 PM
I use finger cots, makes bullet handleing a lot better. One dip then scrape off the base before you set it down. I like dip lube better than pan lube.

martinibelgian
01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes, there's another one- preheating the bullets: if they are too cold, you'll get a big gob of lube with the bullet somewhere in there, and if too hot, you might not get enough lube on the bullet.

semtav
01-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Depending on the lube, I'd recommend having a "die" to remove the excess lube immediately after dipping. an old case or a hole drilled in a piece of plastic or aluminum the proper size works good.

Gellot Wilde
01-21-2011, 08:38 AM
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo306/Gellot-Wilde/Bullets-Moulds/PanLubingBulletRemoval.jpg

I have never tried 'dip lubing' but it sounds intresting.

I have found pan lubing the quickest method for me personally...no doubt the lube you are using will certainly have an effect on just how well it works for you.

Thought a picture would be a good idea, even if just to add some colour. :mrgreen:

I take these out of the cake like pulling teeth I guess. I place the cake on some paper towel which in turn is sat ontop of a double-folded cloth. This gives a slightly spongy base, each bullet is then pushed down to break the seal then simply pulled up and out, wiped and put to one side for loading. I have found that the latex gloves are essential for this method otherwise you can't grip the bullet well enough. :neutral:

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-21-2011, 11:09 AM
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo306/Gellot-Wilde/Bullets-Moulds/PanLubingBulletRemoval.jpg
I take these out of the cake like pulling teeth I guess. I place the cake on some paper towel which in turn is sat ontop of a double-folded cloth. This gives a slightly spongy base, each bullet is then pushed down to break the seal then simply pulled up and out, wiped and put to one side for loading. I have found that the latex gloves are essential for this method otherwise you can't grip the bullet well enough. :neutral:

I only tried pan lubing once and was a total failure.
this method sounds better than what I tried.
I was trying to push the boolits
out from the back using a pencil (eraser end).
when that didn't work, I imagine the scene became more like
a Bear ripping into a bee hive.

How cool/cold do you get the cake ?
Jon

PS I've done a little dip lubing using a needle nose pliers
wrapped in artists tape to grip the boolit, then wiping
the base off as I set the coated boolit down, then I
just run them through a Lee push through sizer.
But I have to clean off the excess lube off the die
inbetween each boolit, kind of a pain, but having
a fairly cool room (60º) and a cold die helps alot.
JOn

Gellot Wilde
01-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi Jon

I wait until it's cold usually, but have taken them out at just above room temperature.

First thing I picked up quite early on was to use the silicone cake molds over the metal ones...often had trouble with the lube sticking in the supposed non-stick jobs..even when I lightly oiled them with olive oil.

Second and possibly most important thing...apart from making sure the bullets are warmed..was pour in the lube without pausing and then refrain from touching the cake mold at all.

I found that if I moved it, or sometimes just topped it up a little the bullets would often pull out with a ton of lube stuck on them...took ages to get it off and I'm not that patient. Once I'd figured out why it was happening...it stopped happening even with my home made lube.

I now use NASA lube which is just the best stuff I've ever tried for pan lubing. It really grabs the grease grooves...even on shallow ones...quite amazing really. Since using it I've never had bullets pull out with a great blob of lube stuck around them.

I tried early on pushing them out of the cake like you describe...well similar and it was messy so I looked for a simpler way... I think that pushing them into a soft under layer and pulling them back out is by far the least messy method.

It is also best to stagger the bullets...I just use a .45 ammo tray.

bigted
01-23-2011, 04:02 PM
dont know about dip lubing but i do pan lube em. here is my process and it works very good every time;

first off i use an old fired 45-70 shell that has been shot thru my marlin with the large leed/chamber. i took this case and drilled out the primer pocket to accept a small philips screwdriver that i ground the tip off so as to be flat on the tip. after i place the boolits in my "pan" which is a cookie pan that is 1 inch deep. i then pour lub into the pan containing the boolits up to the desired depth to cover all the grooves i want to be lubed. then i place the pan into the freezer for 1/2 hour. then i remove it from the freezer and wait for 1 hour to stabalize i think before i remove em from the lube. after they have set properly i then push the 45-70 case mouth over the boolit and twist while i remove the case from the lube. most of the time the lubed boolit stays inside the case and i then take the ground off screwdriver and punch out the boolit from the case onto a plate covered with three layers of papertowels. thats it and the explaining is as always more complicated then the practice. its very simple to do and i get the same thrill out of doing this as casting or reloading. when i shoot em i get the whole gambit of satisfaction and i cant wait to actually hunt with em and bring home meat with these homemade assemblys.

id say also that do not lube more then your gonna use/load as the lubed boolits WILL collect dust and grit no matter how you protect em then this gritty sandy crud going lightspeed down your barrel. thats it from the kiddy corner