PDA

View Full Version : reloading for a open bolt

camerl2009
01-17-2011, 01:29 AM
well i cant find anywhere to put this

but since its a semi auto sten mk2 that im going to be reloading for
i put it here

feal free to move it if it dose not go here

now i got some brass that was fired in a sten of some sort it was a open bolt as are most semi auto stens here in canada
the brass is bulge a bit is that normal will a sazing die take that out

John Traveler
01-17-2011, 01:45 AM
The problem with reloading brass that is bulged from firing in a chamber with a cutaway feedpath (like almost all orginal full auto designs and many pistols) is that the bulged area is weakened. Full length sizing will bring it back to usable dimensions, but the second firing will again weaken the bulged area. If the second bulge happens to be where the first one is, the case can blow open with resulting damage to your magazine and breech.

I had a S&W M760 semi-auto copy that gave me nothing but trouble from firing reloaded ammunition. Much of the fired cases were bulged as you described. I finally had to make it point to NOT reload or use bulged cases.

Dan Cash
01-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Withhout seeing the brass it is hard to say for sure but the sizing die will PROBABLY take the bulge out. I would not reload that brass more than a couple of times if it is badly bulged. The bulge can weaken the brass. Ensure that your bullets are seated deep enough so that they don't hang up on the chamber throat. If your gun has fixed firing pin, you will have an open bolt discharg with subsequent ruptured cartridge; the gun already bulges the brass. Be sure the bullets are adequately taper crimped to avoid ramming the bullet too deep in the case upon feeding. Sub guns and your type of semi auto are rough on cartridges.

nicholst55
01-17-2011, 01:55 AM
If you can find some, use some of the Canadian WWII issue 9mm brass; that is by far the thickest and strongest 9mm brass I've ever seen!

camerl2009
01-17-2011, 02:00 AM
The problem with reloading brass that is bulged from firing in a chamber with a cutaway feedpath (like almost all orginal full auto designs and many pistols) is that the bulged area is weakened. Full length sizing will bring it back to usable dimensions, but the second firing will again weaken the bulged area. If the second bulge happens to be where the first one is, the case can blow open with resulting damage to your magazine and breech.

I had a S&W M760 semi-auto copy that gave me nothing but trouble from firing reloaded ammunition. Much of the fired cases were bulged as you described. I finally had to make it point to NOT reload or use bulged cases.

i think its probly the barrel from the gun he used i think it was a uzi barrel
turned to a sten barrel im going to ask when i get my barrel if he can make one
for me from a blank so i dont have this problem its not a bulge its more like the case was fired in a over sized chamber like a uzi chamber

Larry Gibson
01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
cammerl2009

In my former military exprience we had numerous foreign and obsolete weapons in our vault including numerous subguns, amoung them the Sten. Also had an indoor range which made it handy for a shootist like me. I found almost all sub guns have generous chambers and case bulging is normal. To alleviate overworking the cases (US WCCs) I simply adjusted my sizer so sized cases would go into the smallest chamber and they had sufficient neck tension for a 120 -124 gr .359 sized cast bullets. I suggest you also size your cases minimally if they are to be used in just that one Sten.

BTW; I used 4 gr of Bullseye under those 120-14 gr cast bullets and they funtioned all the subguns we had (MP40, MP35, MP5L, MP5K, Sten, L1A1 Sterling and a MAC10).

Larry Gibson

camerl2009
01-17-2011, 02:32 PM
cammerl2009

In my former military exprience we had numerous foreign and obsolete weapons in our vault including numerous subguns, amoung them the Sten. Also had an indoor range which made it handy for a shootist like me. I found almost all sub guns have generous chambers and case bulging is normal. To alleviate overworking the cases (US WCCs) I simply adjusted my sizer so sized cases would go into the smallest chamber and they had sufficient neck tension for a 120 -124 gr .359 sized cast bullets. I suggest you also size your cases minimally if they are to be used in just that one Sten.

BTW; I used 4 gr of Bullseye under those 120-14 gr cast bullets and they funtioned all the subguns we had (MP40, MP35, MP5L, MP5K, Sten, L1A1 Sterling and a MAC10).

Larry Gibson

these where not fired in mine im still buying tthe parts i need to make it
but i got the brass from a maker of sten guns here he makes them and sells them

Larry Gibson
01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
camerl2009

That's ok, just size them minimally so they just fit the chamber of the one you are building. No need to size down to original dimensions. Let you own chamber be your guide.

Larry Gibson

JeffinNZ
01-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Can't you just buy cases of el cheapo milsurp 9mm?

klcarroll
01-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I own a 1976 vinatge MAC-10 in 45 ACP, .....and as Larry put it; ....it has a "Generous Chamber"!

....But I still reload for it, ....because at 1200 rpm, they just don't offer milsurp ammo cheap enough.

I figure on two reloadings MAX before I discard the brass. The overworking does indeed weaken the brass, and case blow-outs can be disconcerting.

I have recently been experimenting with an aftermarket MAC upper that is fitted with a current semi-auto barrel, which features a considerably "tighter" chamber than the one Gordon Ingram specified: ....And surprisingly, I have not noted a significantly higher number of FTF.

Because the 9mm is a tapered case, I suspect that it would be even more "agreeable" to such a barrel swap!

Kent

camerl2009
01-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Can't you just buy cases of el cheapo milsurp 9mm?

maybe in th USA but im not there

waksupi
01-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Cam, it kind of sounds like you may be making a firearm that fires from an open bolt. Making one here in the states gets you quite a few years in a Federal penitentiary. Is it legal to make them where you are?

camerl2009
01-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Cam, it kind of sounds like you may be making a firearm that fires from an open bolt. Making one here in the states gets you quite a few years in a Federal penitentiary. Is it legal to make them where you are?

yep thats the only semi auto that got passed so far is a open bolt
its 100% legal here

theres more then one way to build a semi auto sten
i can do the closed bolt but i like it the old way

i can use the old barrel 7.8" barrel

i have to make a new mag well for it as thats now the reciver/firearm and the full auto part :roll: so thay cut all the mag wells on the parts kits

hickstick_10
01-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Are you making the receiver or are you buying it from a manufacture?

camerl2009
01-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Are you making the receiver or are you buying it from a manufacture?

making it from a mag well kit when done i have to put a serial number on it
and register it

now i can make it non restricted with a 18.5" barrel or restricted with the normal
sten barrel

and i can switch them down the road if i want to the mk2 barrel is removable

hickstick_10
01-18-2011, 06:10 PM
I dont know how the Canadian Firearms Center is going to feel about interchangeable barrels and a semi auto that's dancing between restricted, non restricted.

Pretty sure you have to let them know "Down the road" if you want to change the barrel length.

camerl2009
01-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I dont know how the Canadian Firearms Center is going to feel about interchangeable barrels and a semi auto that's dancing between restricted, non restricted.

Pretty sure you have to let them know "Down the road" if you want to change the barrel length.

yes i do have to let them konw if its on longer then 30 days :bigsmyl2:

man we have some f***ed up laws

im registering it as restricted with a 7.8" barrel

and later down the road if i want to switch i can

mckutzy
01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I would keep it non. if u have it registered restricted, it stays permanently restricted. it would be better in the long run if it was this way, better accuracy with longer barrel, u can take it out in the bush and show off to ur friends, hunt with it? and for re-sale value.

camerl2009
02-02-2011, 02:50 AM
I would keep it non. if u have it registered restricted, it stays permanently restricted. it would be better in the long run if it was this way, better accuracy with longer barrel, u can take it out in the bush and show off to ur friends, hunt with it? and for re-sale value.

nope its dose not stay restricted but who cares i like the look of the sten

and i dont think it matters i like it if i want to i can put a longer barrel on it
but the 7.8" is where im going

mckutzy
02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
OK cam, what ever.. ur the expert,

frykasj
03-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Actually, he's right about it being able to be swapped at will between restricted/non restricted with a barrel swap and a phone call to the CFC. It has been done with the 18.5" M1 Carbines (admittedly, that was a more permanent modification). Where it falls down is trying to get, say, a Pistol re registered as a rifle. That can't be done (I've tried).

Now, doing this several times a week would generate a few raised eyebrows and he might end up with an FIP (firearms - of interest to police) on his firearms licence. Not only that, if he were caught with the wrong barrel with the wrong classification, he could end up in some pretty hot water with the RCMP...

That said... anyone who deals with SaskSten is immediately suspect in my books...