PDA

View Full Version : Found a source!

selmerfan
01-16-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm 6 months into my first call serving a couple of country church in SW MN. I was headed to a meeting with one of my members recently discussing what he did. Turns out that he is the manager of the Firestone shop in town. :) :) :) I asked him what they did with their used wheelweights, he said they sold them to a guy that came through town every few months. He had three 4 gallon pails on hand, they left with me the next day for a $20 bill. I'll have access to any other used wheelweights they have, not exclusively, but I'll get some of them! I'm up to about 700 lbs now, I think it's time to make some ingots!

white eagle
01-16-2011, 11:59 PM
pour away [smilie=w:

Walter Laich
01-17-2011, 12:03 AM
You find you never can have enough WW. It becomes an obsession to some. I've even picked them up off the streets when I take my daily walk.

Walt

chris in va
01-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Lucky.

I think everyone in Kentucky casts. One guy at a gun shop told me he has every wheelweight within a 20 mile radius and has 3000# and counting. I could have strangled him.

Bwana
01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Excellent. You never know unless you ask. I returned Saturday from western OK with 250lbs that my FIL got for me. The demand for WW is apparently picking up out there as one place that used to sell to him won't any more. They didn't say why; but, he suspects they are getting more money or hanging on to them in hopes of getting much more in the future. I should still be able to get 150 to 200 lbs a month as he still has two exclusive sources. You need to make hay while it's shining.

EDK
01-17-2011, 10:53 PM
A good deal on the wheel weights. AND it's good to hear from you again. Good luck with your churches...we have way more country churches than ministers available in Missouri....like everywhere else these days I guess.

Be careful on the back roads with the weather we're having lately.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

beagle
01-17-2011, 11:56 PM
There's quite a few casters among us KY rednecks but usually I can hit about three trire shops and score some.

I must have 3,000 pounds in the barn and that's not counting the shop. That barn's not going anywhere with that weight on the foundation./beagle

Lucky.

I think everyone in Kentucky casts. One guy at a gun shop told me he has every wheelweight within a 20 mile radius and has 3000# and counting. I could have strangled him.

randyrat
01-18-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm 6 months into my first call serving a couple of country church in SW MN. I was headed to a meeting with one of my members recently discussing what he did. Turns out that he is the manager of the Firestone shop in town. :) :) :) I asked him what they did with their used wheelweights, he said they sold them to a guy that came through town every few months. He had three 4 gallon pails on hand, they left with me the next day for a $20 bill. I'll have access to any other used wheelweights they have, not exclusively, but I'll get some of them! I'm up to about 700 lbs now, I think it's time to make some ingots!
God blessed ya that time.
You need his grace to keep two congregations happy and keep you in lead.

selmerfan
01-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I've been out of the casting game for a few months while I get things figured out around here - casting wasn't top on the priority list. :) But I'm still laying in a good supply, I've found a great place to shoot as well, a gravel pit one of my members owns. If I set up right I can get 400 yds in, 200 easy, and it's flat, no grass to worry about.

nighthunter
01-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Friends like that are good to find and good to keep. My son bowls with the owner of a local tire shop and they send me a bucket or two every once in a while. Enough to keep me casting and out of trouble.

Nighthunter

selmerfan
01-18-2011, 01:45 PM
And I stopped up at the PO today to send out some lead ingots in trade in a flat rate box packed full at 20 lbs. The guy at the counter is also a caster and knew what was in the box immediately. He was curious about how much the package weighed so he could estimate a solid chunk of lead that he has that should be about 40 lbs. He'll be dropping it off at my house later this week. :)

41magfan
01-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Any day that you get lead from a po employee and live to tell about it is a good day.

selmerfan
01-18-2011, 02:05 PM
:grin:

arjacobson
01-18-2011, 05:55 PM
nice work!!

cabezaverde
01-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Good for you. I hope your ministry is blessed.

Marlin Junky
01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Let us know how much lead vs. how much steel you end up with after you're finished rendering into ingots.

MJ

steg
01-19-2011, 03:44 AM
Marlin Junky, not trying to hijack the post, but I went to the scrapyard with my son the other day, he had a load of scrap, and I was hoping to buy some lead, no luck for me but my son got $13.00 a hundred for the scrap steel..............................steg

realfisher
01-20-2011, 01:42 AM
lucky you, all the tire shops here are too up tight to give or sell any. now as of january 1st the ass hat goverment forced the tire shops to go to any thing but lead wheel weights

Ole
01-20-2011, 01:58 AM
700lbs of WW's should make around 600lbs of ingots which would make 26,582 158 gr boolits.

:drinks: Give or take. :mrgreen: