PDA

View Full Version : New screwdriver set

crabo
01-16-2011, 11:47 PM
I have a Chapman set that I have had for 25 years. I bought some S&W from Grizzley tool and the same one broke twice. I would like a good set, or sets. I've had a pretty good ones over the years, but some of them I can't find.

Any suggestions?

imashooter2
01-17-2011, 12:00 AM
The Brownell's screwdrivers are top quality...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41573/Product/FIXED_BLADE_SCREWDRIVER_SETS

alamogunr
01-17-2011, 01:01 AM
The Brownell's screwdrivers are top quality...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41573/Product/FIXED_BLADE_SCREWDRIVER_SETS

+1 But I got the magna tip set:

http://tinyurl.com/6xg5t9v

John
W.TN

R.C. Hatter
01-17-2011, 01:13 AM
:coffeecom Get the large magna-tip set from Brownells, you won't be dissapointed.
I've used them for years with no difficulty.

buck1
01-17-2011, 01:18 AM
+4 on above. good stuff.

dromia
01-17-2011, 02:53 AM
Brownell's set, first class.

deltaenterprizes
01-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Stay away from the Caldwell set from Midway, very soft.

unclebill
01-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Stay away from the Caldwell set from Midway, very soft.

i thought they were supposed to be soft so they could not damage screws?

or am i way off base?

imashooter2
01-17-2011, 08:21 AM

or am i way off base?

They're soft because they're Chinese junk. Hardly an item exists that it can't be made a little bit cheaper and sold for a little bit less.

dale2242
01-17-2011, 09:21 AM
I have a set of Chapmans I also have had for 25+ years and have no reason to even try another set....dale

unclebill
01-17-2011, 10:12 AM
They're soft because they're Chinese junk. Hardly an item exists that it can't be made a little bit cheaper and sold for a little bit less.

i meant ANY gunsmithing drivers.

pmeisel
01-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I got the Wheelers set because my Chapman's set was always in the house when I wanted it the shop or vice versa. Nice to have two.

timkelley
01-17-2011, 12:05 PM
I have the biggest Midway set, I was going to be set for life. WRONG! Get the Brownell's set.

waksupi
01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I have a Brownell's set. When you order, go ahead and order some extra bits, as you will most likely end up regrinding some to fit specific screws. I see no need to buy the larger sets, as they contain bits that you will never use. My local hardware store sells bulk bits that are good steel for less money than gunsmith suppliers.

Trey45
01-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I saw mention of Wheelers, there's a little mom and pop hardware store the next town over who has a 72 piece gunsmith set for $50, are they worth buying?

montana_charlie
01-17-2011, 02:21 PM

or am i way off base?
You are off base.
As you apply heavy torque to a screw (such as a scope mounting screw) you need the driver to remain stable in it's fit to the slot. If it starts to give, it will mar the wall and wedge up out of the slot...ruining the screw.

A driver (or tip) tempered to the right hardness for gunsmithing will snap off cleanly if you over torque it...leaving the screw undamaged.

If you snap off tips on a regular basis, you are doing something wrong.
If you are ever able to 'bend' a tip, it doesn't have the right temper for gunsmithing.

I use Chapman drivers. Bought my set back when they still came in a leather-covered steel case, and had a jeweler's screwdriver included.

CM

imashooter2
01-17-2011, 03:28 PM
I saw mention of Wheelers, there's a little mom and pop hardware store the next town over who has a 72 piece gunsmith set for $50, are they worth buying?

No. You can't buy quality screwdrivers for less than $1 a tip. More Chinese junk.

unclebill
01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
You are off base.
As you apply heavy torque to a screw (such as a scope mounting screw) you need the driver to remain stable in it's fit to the slot. If it starts to give, it will mar the wall and wedge up out of the slot...ruining the screw.

A driver (or tip) tempered to the right hardness for gunsmithing will snap off cleanly if you over torque it...leaving the screw undamaged.

If you snap off tips on a regular basis, you are doing something wrong.
If you are ever able to 'bend' a tip, it doesn't have the right temper for gunsmithing.

I use Chapman drivers. Bought my set back when they still came in a leather-covered steel case, and had a jeweler's screwdriver included.

CM

thanks for the straight poop on this.[smilie=s:

PatMarlin
01-18-2011, 03:01 AM
The instructions in my Chapman set say something about them being soft and giving before messing up the screw head if memory serves me. Maybe where he got that from.

I've been wanting a large set since forever.

unclebill
01-18-2011, 07:23 AM
The instructions in my Chapman set say something about them being soft and giving before messing up the screw head if memory serves me. Maybe where he got that from.

I've been wanting a large set since forever.

that is where i got that from.:p

*Paladin*
01-18-2011, 08:56 AM
I have the Brownells Magna-Tip super-set. One of the best investments I've made. I haven't run into a screw slot yet that one of the bits doesn't fit perfectly.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Chinee screwsdriv tips rike genurine RED STAR part high qualitar metals only used.

BvT

EMC45
01-18-2011, 11:17 AM
I have the Wheeler set. I have noticed one was soft. Other than that I have had no problems with them. They all work great. The Brownells sets are the best I have to admit though.

old turtle
01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
I have a Chapman set and have been very happy. In fact I bought a set for my brother and my son. The price is right.

300winmag
01-18-2011, 11:53 AM
sounds like the sears craftsman screwdrivers.

firefly1957
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Did Chapman do some good advertising in 1985, 25 years ago that is when I got mine also and they still work great.