PDA

View Full Version : Star Die hole question

Casting Timmy
01-16-2011, 07:24 PM
I have a question about lube through my Star sizer. The lube I use doesn't require a heater to work through my Lyman, but I am having troubles with using it in my Star.

The die I am using has holes a lot smaller than my Lyman. I know I have enough pressure because I took the die out and lube just came extruding out the hole from the machine.

The problem I have is that I can't fully lube the bullet, but if I do enough pressure to lube the bullet, it ends up extruding lube between bullets and putting lube on the tip of the next bullet.

I am trying to stay away from using a heater, and was thinking about drilling the holes out a little larger in my die so that lube can come out easier from the holes in the die.

Does anyone have ideas on how ot make sure the lube will come out without a heater? Is it typical for a lube that runs without heat to require heat when used in a star?

Thanks for any help
Tim

AJ Peacock
01-16-2011, 07:53 PM
My only suggestion would be to make absolutely sure that the hole is situated in the middle of your lube groove. If you have 1/2 of the hole covered, it can behave as you have described. Other than that, heat might help. Try a light and see if it makes a difference.

AJ

deltaenterprizes
01-16-2011, 08:11 PM
You can use a hair dryer to heat the sizer also.

garandsrus
01-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Tim,

You actually are using way too much pressure. If you take the die out, the lube should not come out of the hole where the die was.

Are you sure you are correctly using the Star? The stroke is really two parts. The first pushes a boolet into the size die, the second injects lube. The link at the bottom of the Star doesn't move during the first part of the stroke and does during the second. The lube is only pressurized during the bottom part of the stroke. The spring at the top of the lube reservoir just keeps lube in the bottom of the reservoir where the pressure actuation can get at it.

If you do a search on Star, you should find quite a bit of reading. What you are looking for is information about the last portion of the handle travel where the plunger pressurizes the lube going to the boolit. There are some adjustments that you can make there if necessary.

If your lube is not thin/warm enough, the last portion of the handle stroke takes a lot of pressure and you may not even be able to tell it's there, thinking that the stroke has bottomed out. When the lube is the correct viscosity it doesn't take much pressure at all.

I use a hair dryer pointed at the lower portion of the press to warm the press and lube up. You can feel the difference after about 30-60 seconds.

John

Casting Timmy
01-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Ill have to search and see if I can adjust the handle for the lower stroke. I've tried running bullets through and pumping it multiple times to get it to lube the bullet correctly. I've tried also using less and more pressure for feeding lube to the bottom of it.

I might try to use a light or hair dryer light every one suggests to get it heated up a little.

I've even taken the die out and made sure the holes weren't plugged up. This is when I forgot to take pressure off and the lube was coming out because I tried turning it up to get lube to come out.

Thanks to everyone for the help with this thing.

dragonrider
01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
This is the point at which all new Star owners have a problem and become frustrated. The instructions from Star are somewhat vague and I think in truth they could not get any better. It is not like the instructions or any of us can tell you to crank down on the lube resevoir spring 3.5 turns and adjust the small horizontal rod .25The lube pump, the big spring at the bottom of the press, is actuated by the lever at the back. The lever is actuated by a small rod with a hex at both ends. This rod is adjustable for length that will increase or decrease the amount of stroke of the lube piston. Thus increasing or decreasing the amount of lube injected. This rod is activated by the link attached to the handle when the handle reaches the bottom of it's stroke.

454PB
01-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Garandsrus has said what I was thinking. The pressure screw on top of the reservoir is only used to apply enough pressure to feed the high pressure pump that is activated by the operating handle. The high pressure pump's stroke can be adjusted by turning the threaded rod that contacts the linkage. The fact that lube flowed into the empty die cavity shows there is more than enough pressure exerted there.

Just so you know, Star dies are extremely hard, and the lube hole is quite small. From the factory, they are actually drilled in two steps, the outer hole larger than the inner hole. This allows unused holes to be plugged with lead shot if needed. You run the risk of breaking a bit and sticking it in the hole if precautions aren't taken.

cajun shooter
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
If you are having lube on the nose of the bullet then you have your Star adjusted wrong. This will also cause you the problem of the grooves not being filled as they should. There is a diagram in your manual on how to line up the holes in the die to your bullet. You should also have a chart that gives you the distance with the handle in a up position from the bottom of your punch to the top of the sizing die. Most people don't adjust the punch deep enough so that the bullet enters the die deeper. If you are lubing bullets for smokeless powder with small grooves then your top row of holes should be blocked with 7 1/2 shot. The next thing is to do all that you can to purchase the air cylinder as it will make your life so easy with the Star. You set it between 80-100 lbs and lube till you have no more bullets. You only have to add lube. Take Care

BD
01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
"The high pressure pump's stroke can be adjusted by turning the threaded rod that contacts the linkage. "

This is the key, and the thing that many folks miss. Also, as the sizer ages the hex head on this rod wears into the links, and some re-adjustment becomes necessary.

BD

Springfield
01-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I have 3 Stars, they all work fine and I have never adjusted the top bolt. Personally I think it is not needed. If I can lube Big Lube bullets with one pass I just can't understand how you smokeless bullet guys can not have enough lube delivered. Lining up the lube groove usually solves everything. I dount anyof you have bullets that need more lube than mine, see pic.

songdog53
02-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Have to say Springfield that is one large lube ring, and no way does anything i cast come close to that.

Big Boomer
02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Casting Timmy:

What you have been told by the above posts is right on. I have a Star (original version) and getting the lube holes lined up with the boolit lube groove is all the adjustment that is needed. Don't go messing with what is not broken on a very good lube/sizer. It may not be what you think. 'Tuck

ANeat
02-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Like others have mentioned, Just about anytime I have problems with the Star its because the lube groove in the bullet isnt aligned with the holes in the die.

Even if there partially covered up I get inconsistent results, a few bullets will look good, a few with some lube on the nose, a few without enough lube.

Get them aligned and its back to business as usual.

Dennis Eugene
02-02-2011, 12:36 AM
yep plus one with ANeat. Remember if your only off half a lube groove you get some lube in lube groove. But if you move top punch a couple thousands one way or the other it will make ALL THE DIFFRENCE IN THE WORLD. Dennis