PDA

View Full Version : First ever boolits cast!

sh00ter787
01-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Had a nice morning so I went outside to make a start on casting, I've been making a few ingots of alloy over last week or so and thought it was time!

A have 2 molds both types of Lee .312 the C312-155 and the CTL312-160

After reading the leementing posts several times I degreased them and though I'd see how they went before taking any drastic action.

First up was the CTL mold, took things nice and steady but it was obvious the mold wasnt hot enough, they fell out of the mold fine onto a couple of microfibre cloths as a cushion - cue putting mold on top of the pot and making a coffee.
This was where it kind of all went wrong.... the mold was way too hot, I waited like 30 seconds for the sprue to frost, so put the mold down to cool.... few seconds later I smelt burning....I'd put the mold onto the microfibres! cue a molten mess and not very happy molds :sad:

Put the mold to one side and started with the other, heating it up gently this time!
Must admit was really pleased with the results when it was up to temperature, the boolits all dropped easy and I've weighed all of them 148.4 - 148.8 with one hitting 149 but most importantly for me they are dropping at .314 which is the perfect size for me! The alloy I used was a 20-1 (as close as I can say with my week of knowledge!)

So now just a messy mold to take care of and we'll see what the TL mold can do!

iron mule
01-16-2011, 10:56 AM
shooter 787
welcome to the world of cast
as you have found it is easy to not think right about the little things when you are concentrating on something else// i have been there and done that and prbly will happen again
just take your time and use the bad things that happen to learn from
always feel free to come here with any questions you have
again welcome
mule

01-16-2011, 10:57 AM
You're on you're way.

Seems that the onset is more filled with frustration than satisfaction, but hang in there.

As you discovered, cotton fiber beats synthetic, and never set a hot mould on anything other than metal.

Onward...

sh00ter787
01-16-2011, 11:49 AM
thanks, was a real "DOH!" moment, however apart from that I learnt loads and will take that to my next session when I will hopefully make a pile to be able try lubing etc

heres a few of the ones I cast, the fill looks ok to me, and obviously the circular marks are due to the mold but is it common to get other inconsistencies? All of these weigh within .2 of a grain of each other so I am assuming the fill is ok

http://www.andy787.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/boolit01.JPG

RobS
01-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Those sure do look perdy

danny.k
01-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Great first castinsession there....perdy boolits!

Charlie Two Tracks
01-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Those look GREAT ! Please be careful with the molten lead. I am by no means an experienced caster but I try to remember just how hot this casting lead is. ATGATT- All the gear all the time.

sh00ter787
01-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Those look GREAT ! Please be careful with the molten lead. I am by no means an experienced caster but I try to remember just how hot this casting lead is. ATGATT- All the gear all the time.

totally agree, because I was fully gloved up I didnt appreciate the temperature the mold was at - with messy consequences!

Always try to be sensible, it'll be a while before I become complacent with this new hobby...

captaint
01-16-2011, 03:30 PM
sh00ter - I can tell you did plenty of reading ahead of time. You did GOOD!! You're well on your way... enjoy Mike

Echo
01-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Way to go, S797! Good lookin' boolits. Someone once said that good decisions come from experience - and experience comes from bad decisions! You learned that it is a bad decision to have synthetic fabric around the casting area, and I'll be that doesn't happen again!

Moonie
01-16-2011, 08:04 PM
totally agree, because I was fully gloved up I didnt appreciate the temperature the mold was at - with messy consequences!

Always try to be sensible, it'll be a while before I become complacent with this new hobby...

Don't worry, if you do become too complacent it will remind you very quickly the folly of your ways.

Scars fade.

crappiejig
01-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Nice looking boolits sir! Good job!

WHITETAIL
01-17-2011, 08:06 AM
787, Welcome to the forum!
You are well on your way to a great hobbie.:redneck:

BSkerj
01-17-2011, 08:27 AM
I wish my first ones looked like that !

x101airborne
01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
For something to set the molds on, I greased a 9x13 metal baking pan and poured it full of concrete then set it on my central air unit to vibrate and settle. I got a lovely 2" thick slab of concrete to set my molds on. Beautifully flat, can beat on it, set it on fire, even dropped it once. Just set it on some carpet so it doesnt scratch the **** out of your table.

sh00ter787
01-17-2011, 12:02 PM
thats an excellent idea! may well go that route when I plan out my casting bench properly :D

peerlesscowboy
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I wish my first ones looked like that !
That's what I was thinking too........ my learning curve was a little longer [smilie=b:

Dogs_of_War
01-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Dang those look nice!
I hope my fist ones will be like that.

dromia
01-18-2011, 03:47 AM
Nice looking boolits Andy, you've done well mate. :drinks: