PDA

View Full Version : steel receiver sight

nanuk
01-16-2011, 06:19 AM
my hunting bud and I were discussing the very crappy plastic sights on our Traditions MuzzleLoaders.

We have scope mounts but after using scopes on them, I can't see much advantage.

So I'm thinking about trying to whittle out a rear sight that can screw into the existing scope mounting holes, and solder a drill bit stub into the front threaded hole.

I think this would give a very solid and strong sighting system.

I have the old sights to re-install, so I can get a measurement for elevation.
Windage would be accomplished by filing out the initial aperture.
Elevation by grinding down the front post.

my first thought was angle bracket for a shelf support. Nixxed that as Fugly.
Then thought 1x1x.188 angle iron or something I can cut down.

this will be hand tools only.

Any advice to help me with direction?

StrawHat
01-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Plug the holes and cut a dovetail for a new sight. Lot of them are availble and some are nice looking. With the dovetail you can adjust the windage easier than if you screw it down.

Nobade
01-16-2011, 09:23 AM
New England Gunsmithing makes a nice one that mounts on a Weaver base. Brownells has them.

nanuk
01-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I have the NECG sight. it is FUGLY!

mounted one on a 45/70 Marlin... Fugly there too!

Now I have seen a trim XS site, but I don't think they ship north of the border

StrawHat: I had considered that, but the barrel is Nickeled and a local machine shop told me I'd need carbide tools for it, as he couldn't cut it with a file.

StrawHat
01-17-2011, 06:23 AM
I don't know why a machine shop couldn't cut a nickle plated barrel? I dovetail them with a hacksaw and a file. Just go slow and make the dovetail a bit small to begin with then enlarge it to fit the sight. Or work on the sight to fit the barrel cut. It takes me less than an hour to get them fit the way I like them. Most gun barrels are not hardened, test it with a file someplace it won't show.

Hooker
01-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Try these they are great
http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.htm

nanuk
01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't know why a machine shop couldn't cut a nickle plated barrel? I dovetail them with a hacksaw and a file. Just go slow and make the dovetail a bit small to begin with then enlarge it to fit the sight. Or work on the sight to fit the barrel cut. It takes me less than an hour to get them fit the way I like them. Most gun barrels are not hardened, test it with a file someplace it won't show.

the machine shop did test with a file. that is why he told me I'd need carbide.

I decided to go another route.

the Skinner sights are interesting, even if a bit ugly. I think they would work well though. they would allow a lower front sight.

the NECG sits so high, and you need to be off the stock now with the factory sights. that is why I'm looking for options that are low.

pietro
01-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Williams Gun Sight Co makes a WGRS (Williams Guide Receiver Sight) peep that is a drop-in fit for your scope mount holes.

It's not steel, but it is aircraft grade HARD aluminum - I haven't broken a Williams peep sight in over 40 years of using their products.

You "might" also need a higher front sight, in order to zero the riffle (check first) - but that also should be a drop-in, as many vendors (like Cabela's) carry replacement front sights - I highly recommend a fiber-optic front bead with the peep.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Check Track of the Wolf on line for a variety of iron sights. As to the front simply screw a screw shank into the hole, file till it's right with the rear sight and put a tiny dropof 95% silver low temp solder on it.

BvT