PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question

BackWoods Billy
01-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Hey guys. Just bought a sample bag of aluminum GSs and they were just to loose. I'm using a Lee 310 GC mold and a Lee sizer with WW (.44 mag). Will the Hornady GCs work with the push through sizer.Thanks. I don't want to order 1,000 and they don't work....

n.h.schmidt
01-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi
The store bought GCs will work with a lee push through setup. You may need to pre seat the GCs first before pushing through. If the sizeing effort is stout enough the GCs would likely likely seat on the bullet base without any pe seating. Many have found that homemade checks are loose. Mine included. I finally solved that by super glueing them on before sizeing. Let the glue harden first.
n.h.schmidt

BackWoods Billy
01-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks..Good old Super Glue...Have you recovered any of your boolit with the GC still on ??

Tom W.
01-16-2011, 10:35 PM
You may try running them through the sizer base first. I have an old 30 cal Lee mold that won't seat the checks if I do them nose first.

PatMarlin
01-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Welcome to Cast Boolits BackWoods Billy... ::drinks:

Factory Hornady gas checks will work fine for your needs.

I get inquiries from shooters who have had loose fit problems with their other brand self made gas checks quite often. (Not made with my dies). I think super glue is a patch for poor fit, and correct fitting gas checks are definitely essential for cast shooting accuracy.

That's why I designed my dies so you can tune the checks to fit your boolit shanks, and you're not locked into one fit. I guarantee a fitting gas check with my Checkmaker™ dies, by selecting the best thickness of metals for your cast boolits and firearm.

Not trying to sell you, but just addressing the loose fit issue brought up here.

...:Fire:

BackWoods Billy
01-18-2011, 03:27 AM
Thanks Pat

RobS
01-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Your aluminum checks simply needed to be of a thicker material. A way to figure it: Boolit diameter substracted by your GC shank diameter then divided by two is a very minimum thickness of material needed for your GC and often times this is still a bit too thin.

I've found for 44 and 45 cal, probably others as well, that .014" material works well.

Bad Water Bill
01-19-2011, 02:38 AM
I tried the 011 material that came with the check maker, they all fell off. Bought a roll of 018. Same results. Doubled the 011 and superglued them together and they still fell off. By the book and mike the 011 should have been good. Took the setup over to a friend's and just forgot about it. $100.00 wasted and way to much time spent TRYING to get a decent gas check. Lesson learned.

PatMarlin
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I tried the 011 material that came with the check maker, they all fell off. Bought a roll of 018. Same results. Doubled the 011 and superglued them together and they still fell off. By the book and mike the 011 should have been good. Took the setup over to a friend's and just forgot about it. $100.00 wasted and way to much time spent TRYING to get a decent gas check. Lesson learned.

Not trying to stir a pot Bill, but I have to clarify the statement due to your reference of "check maker".

You're possible referring to Freechex™ tools not talking about my Checkmaker™ dies correct?

If anyone of my customers ever has an issue with the operation of Patmarlins products, as always contact me and I will take care of any problem ASAP. Thankfully, there have been next to none.

Bad Water Bill
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Pat No it was NOT you I was referring to. You are to easy to find if I had a problem.

Sorry for the confusion[smilie=b:

Jim
01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Pat, you want me to take Bill outside?

PatMarlin
01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't know. It looks like his mule means business.

Moonie
01-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Got an awful long face...:bigsmyl2:

1Shirt
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Loose=super glue and push thru. No a problem for straight sided revolver loads.
1Shirt!

Bad Water Bill
01-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Just don't get behind her.[smilie=s:

And remember she still is wearing ICE shoes:bigsmyl2:

You will get the points.