PDA

View Full Version : The professionals at Bass Pro

grubbylabs
01-16-2011, 01:15 AM
I was standing at the counter in the Bass Pro shop in southern California. I was waiting to look at a SS Marlin in .444 since no one in my corner of Idaho has one I thought I would look it over. Well their was another guy looking at the gun as well, the sales rep told him it was not capable of taking animal past 100 yards, and then in talking to the guy looking at the gun he said the sales guy said Marlin was the only one who made that caliber.:confused:

So I talked with the guy and shared my limited knowledge with him and I guess the only difference between me and the sales guy is that I told him right up front I was no expert but that I did know a few things like the fact that Marlin was not the only one to make a .444 and that it was indeed possible to take an elk sized animal with one out to about 200 yards and that you were not limited to 100 yards or less.

Artful
01-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Yep, plenty of people behind a counter instantly promoted to expert and they are happy to share their "knowledge" such as it is.

RugerFan
01-16-2011, 02:00 AM
A few years back a co-worker bought a Rem 870 combo (with a fully rifled slug barrel) at the Bass Pro in Savannah. He showed up at the range with Foster type slugs. I said “You got the wrong slugs. You should have bought sabots.” He said the guy behind the counter told him that sabots would be “over-kill” and to buy the Fosters instead. Another co-worker was with him at the time and vouched for the story. You’d think they would have to have some basic gun/ammo knowledge to work the counter.

kawalekm
01-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Hi Grubby
Is that the one at the Foothill exit of HW15 in Rancho? What were they asking for the Marlin?

By the way, at another shop when I first started seeing Fiocchi cartridges for sale I asked "are these Boxer or Berdan primed?". The guy behind the counter asked "what's that?"!

NickSS
01-16-2011, 06:19 AM
The knowledge of sales personnel in most stores is very poor as is the training of such. It is also poor amoung the average hunter I have run into as most subscribe to all sorts of fables when it comes to guns and cartridges for same. Over the past 48 years of shooting I have tried a lot of guns and calibers and have come to believe that most hunters actually know little of what their rifle can and can't do. One such fable is good for an illustration. Most people who hunt deer will tell you that a 30-30 is OK for deer (some will say barely adequate). However, while on a hunting trip in Alaska I ran into an Alaskan Native american man who had a battered old 30-30 Winchester that he was picking up after being repaired in a Gun Shop in Katsabou, Alaska. I asked him What he hunted with it and the answer was surprising. He told me that he shoots Caribou, wlarus, seals, Wales, bear (both Alaskan Brown and Polar), deer and elk. I asked him if his rifle was not a little light for the bigger animals and he said that in 40 years he never needed more than two shots to kill anything. My own experience tells me that there is a lot of truth to that if you place your bullets right.

Jim
01-16-2011, 08:13 AM
I worked at "Sporty's" warehouse in Columbia, SC for awhile back in '08. I was assigned to the hunting section to cover handloading supplies and ammunition.

One Sunday evening, it was slow, so I was hanging out at the gun counter with two other sales people. One a woman, the other a man. The guy was reputed to be an expert.

A customer asked to see a S&W .460. When he asked about ammunition, the guy told him about it. I spoke up and said that you can also fire .45 Colt and .454 Casull in it.

My "friend" berated me in front of the customer and embarrassed me, telling me those calibers would not chamber in the .460.. Later, I spoke with a manager about his actions and we were both called into the office. The manager told him that he owed me an apology and that he should NEVER speak to another employee like that, ESPECIALLY in front of a customer. THEN, the manager told him "Jim is right, you CAN fire those calibers in a .460. You need to brush up on your handguns if you're going to sell them."

Needless to say, he didn't have much use for me thereafter.

oldhickory
01-16-2011, 08:23 AM
I just avoid all of those big places unless someone tells me there's a huge bargain on something I want.

btroj
01-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Why are you guys so surprised by this? Is the teller at the bank a financial expert? Nope, just a person hired to do a job.
Go to a per store and try to find someone who really knows about keeping tropical fish. Not gonna happen in most stores.
These are people who were hired to do a job. They are not experts at all. Heck, I consider it a lucky day if they have a clue what I am asking about.
Face it, the average boolit caster is a pretty hardcore gun guy. Pretty experienced and knowledgable. We know what we want or have a very specific question.the guy at the gun shop might actually own a gun, he might even gunt with it. But knowledgable? Not usually.
The days of the small gunshot where the owner was an old, grizzled expert shooter are gone. Stores these days cater to the masses and they want lots of cheap ammo and a gun to shoot it in.

iron mule
01-16-2011, 11:23 AM
i was in the bass pro in jackson ms about 2 weeks after they opened
was just looking to see what their prices were at the gun counter when one of the sales guys ran out from the back looking for a lady that he had sold a handgun to
seems that he completed the sale took her money gave her the handgun then went to the back to run the nics from which the results from it was that the transfer was denied
seems the problem was that the lady had left with the handgun while he was running the nics
never found out what the end result was but they are still able to carry firearms in the store
mule

Char-Gar
01-16-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't care if it is guns, can openers, shirts or cars, I never ask a salespersons advice on what to buy. I know what I want before I go into the door. Never place yourself at the mercy of somebody whose principal interest is to sell you more than you want or just sell you something, because the get a commission. If you do, then you deserve what you get.

northmn
01-16-2011, 11:47 AM
I BS a bit with a sales clerk at a local Gander Mountain that is very knowledgeable. He used to shoot NRA hi-power, showed up at a BP shoot with a Ruger old Army and taught a lot of regulars how to shoot a pistol and hunts deer. He was chuckling one day when he received a call from a customer asking if a 200 grain bullet out of a 338 Win Mag was enough for deer or should he get a 250 grain. He also mentioned how a customer bought a 30-30 for deer and complained taht he could not hit anything with it. When asked if he sighted it in the customer asked more or less "what's that?, Don't they come sighted in? While I have met a few that may not agree with what I think in calibers, etc (magnumitis) I am sure they can tell some stories too.

DP

mack1
01-16-2011, 12:46 PM
I worked in a small hardware store and sold guns, reloading supplys for a while. The problem with a gunsalesman with limited knowledge is 1/2 the peaple buying do not know what they want or need or how to care for it. It is far worse if the salesman thinks they know more than they do. I thought I had it figured out once then learned how little I really had right.

cajun shooter
01-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Most chain stores hire bodies to fill positions and don't ask about knowledge. I ask a worker in Cabela's about some mold handles made by Lee and where I might find them. He told me that they did not sell them. After locating them I passed by him in the aisle and said this is what they look like. I worked at a gun store in the period of 1970- 77 twice. Quit and was rehired at a later date because of money promised issue. We had a fellow worker who would hand a guy a box of bullets by Speer or Sierra when they came in and asked for a box of bullets. He would laugh when the guy would say this is not what I wanted. I want some already made to shoot. He would then tell them then you should have asked for ammo and not bullets and go into this long speech about using proper terminology when asking about gun related items. on out in a more friendly manner. Saturday mornings were the worst as we would have several gun store cowboys present at any one time. I don't enter any gun store now expecting to find a Skeeter Skelton or Bill Jordan behind the counter it is a sign of the times.

izzyjoe
01-16-2011, 01:58 PM
you think that's bad, go to a parts house and ask for somthing, and the person behind the counter that worked at a burger joint last week, is a now a parts guy. ha ha. it will drive you crazy. [smilie=f:

Hickory
01-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Years ago Federal used to have small pamphlets describing their latest offerings.

After looking it over I noticed that a 55gr bullet fired from a 222 Remington had more velocity at 500 yards than a 22-250 using the same bullet at the same distance even when it started out at a higher velocity.

I got wondering about that and realized the key word in the equation was “drag.”
I learned about “drag” in physics class while in college.

When an object exceeds the speed of sound the drag is exerted on that object by a value of “X” and I forget what that value is at the moment.

The 22-250 exceeds the sound barrier by 3 times imposing more drag on the bullet than that of the 222 Rem. This extra drag slows the bullet at a faster rate then drag imposed on the same bullet starting out at a slower velocity.

Now, if the same weight bullet happened to be a boat-tail design then at the longer range the boat-tail can and will overcome the extra drag.

Finster101
01-16-2011, 02:13 PM
With most places it is who will work for the least pay. I usually make two trips if I am going to purchase a new firearm. One to see it and feel it to find out if I even interested. There are some very fine guns out there that I will never own unless I get a steal on them to resell simply because they don't fit me. Second trip after I have done my research, price shopped and know what I am going to buy. The only impulse buys I've done have been pawn or or used shops and stumbled upon something. I have found pawn shop owners to be more knowledgeable than most counter people in the chain stores.

exile
01-16-2011, 02:28 PM
My favorite interaction was with a Cabela's employee when I told him that a particular gun I was thinking about purchasing would likely never see anything but cast boolit reloads. He looked at me with a very disgusted expression and said,

"You shouldn't be reloading for anything unless you are an expert."

Not being an expert at anything, I didn't bother to contradict him, but what a way to get a guy to go buy a gun somewhere else.

What the heck, Cabela's is not a gun shop, if anything they are more of a clothing store.

exile

pls1911
01-16-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't get upset.... I'll play 'em like a fish on a line... let 'em lead themselves into a corner so full of stinky stuff they realize that they've been trapped in their own BS. Then they get red and start backing up, they also start ripping and tripping...

What a hoot if you have time and patience to play the fool, guide the "expert" into a hole of his own making, and then enjoy the last laugh!!!
Of course once they've started down on that slippery slope, it's hard to keep a straight face to finish the folly.

grubbylabs
01-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi Grubby
Is that the one at the Foothill exit of HW15 in Rancho? What were they asking for the Marlin?

By the way, at another shop when I first started seeing Fiocchi cartridges for sale I asked "are these Boxer or Berdan primed?". The guy behind the counter asked "what's that?"!
Yes it is the one of Foot hill and the 15, I think they wanted 669 or something close to that.

you think that's bad, go to a parts house and ask for somthing, and the person behind the counter that worked at a burger joint last week, is a now a parts guy. ha ha. it will drive you crazy. [smilie=f:
I know I know, I have a parts house that I go to just because they can find my part without going through all the dumb questions like does your car have tires or wheels?

pmeisel
01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Yeah. my personal favorite is when you are buying windshield wipers and they ask you about engine displacement.....

izzyjoe
01-17-2011, 10:38 PM
it makes one wonder if the people working at those chain stores even hunt, fish or do anything than sit behind a computer in there down time, wait a minute that what i'm doing now. [smilie=1:

CLAYPOOL
01-18-2011, 01:27 AM
GRUBBYLABS : The current "Dealer" on that Marlin is all most that. There is all ways a raise on guns (Most of them) in Jan-Feb.

Lonegun1894
01-18-2011, 03:27 AM
I have a local store that I have bought several items from over the years because "that ol' *** wouldn't shoot even if you could figure out what caliber it is". So far, there's been a couple .22 Stevens rifles, a couple SMLEs, and a '98 Mauser. Prices have been between $30 to $75 out the door for my "wallhangers" that shoot just as well if not better than most modern playtoys, and all while skipping the currently almost-mandatory plastic stocks. It's been a while since I've been in that place, but those guys in there are the type of firearm experts I will buy from after a careful inspection, but will warn anyone to not take any advice from.

So I guess I'm another one of those that will let them think I have no idea what I'm looking for and let them hang themselves with their own ignorance.

Four Fingers of Death
01-18-2011, 07:07 AM
i was in the bass pro in jackson ms about 2 weeks after they opened
was just looking to see what their prices were at the gun counter when one of the sales guys ran out from the back looking for a lady that he had sold a handgun to
seems that he completed the sale took her money gave her the handgun then went to the back to run the nics from which the results from it was that the transfer was denied
seems the problem was that the lady had left with the handgun while he was running the nics
never found out what the end result was but they are still able to carry firearms in the store
mule

Our Police would have closed the gun section down immediately if that happened here. few friends have been put out of business by screwing up parerwork. The cops at teh firearms registry make mistakes aaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time, but they get to stay at work after they screw up.

GMW
01-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I have learned to expect nothing from the sales person behind the counter. If they make sure the gun is cleared before they hand it to me I am happy with that! Many times I had a gun handed to me with the barrel pointing at my gut and I had to clear it! I am at the point in my life that I don't hold back when a unsafe gun is handed to me in such a manner.

Jim
01-18-2011, 10:20 AM
One more thing: If anybody thinks the goons behind the counter get a commission on sales, think again. They get paid by the hour, nothing more. You have to be a General Manager to get a bonus and some of the big store businesses don't even do that!

Potsy
01-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I remember being young and opinionated (and working for minimum wage). Bass Pro in Nashville has mostly young, opinionated folks behind the counter (who are probably working for minimum wage). I once saw a guy leave in disgust because he wanted a .243 and the guy behind the counter would hear of nothing but selling him one of the WSM's. I don't even care for a .243, but I sure don't understand not selling a guy what he wants.

Last time I was in there I had to wait 15 minutes to talk to the sales guy (who was about 20) who was telling the customer in front of me all about how he was lawyerin' up to sue Leupold.

You don't have to be young, opinionated, inexperienced, and broke to have lots of firm opinions though. A buddy of mine has worked at several outdoor stores in the region. Though mostly a bow guy, he does have a lot of rifle experience and is a fine shot. He's killed way more deer than I have (take my total and put a zero on the end). He does, however, insist, that there is no way a Nosler Partition can be accurate, nor will it ever expand in the slightest on deer.
He also does not like a few of my hunting stories for that very reason.

fishnbob
01-18-2011, 11:19 AM
He does, however, insist, that there is no way a Nosler Partition can be accurate, nor will it ever expand in the slightest on deer.
Quote from Potsy:

I have a wall full of big racks that succumbed to that Nosler Partition in .270, it's all I have used for the last 15 yrs.:p:-)

home in oz
01-18-2011, 11:53 AM
This is true everywhere.

9.3X62AL
01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
That Bass Pro Shop in Rancho Cucamonga is a lot better fishing equipment and clothing store than it is a gun shop. Lots of firearms, but not a lot of depth behind the counter--if you get my drift. Component pricing during The Great Primer Shortage of 2008-2010 was ludicrous, too. BUCCANEERS! I shared that thought with them in detail.

The guys behind the high-end reel counter are a little better than the gun crew, but are DEEPLY prejudiced toward the Japanese/esoteric saltwater equipment. I smell a commission scheme behind that. When I ask about drag washers to refit my Penn Jigmasters, they tone down the BS noticeably. They do carry Penn reels in some depth, though they remain largely unpimped and de-emphasized. That alone says VOLUMES to me. They seldom have the washers on hand, either--"We can order them for you!" So can I, and not have to drive 130 miles AGAIN to get them.

I pinned the guy a little--I asked why the company didn't emphasize old-line American-made reels like the Penns. "We don't have to--they sell themselves" he said. He went on to explain the reason for NOT having the parts I asked for was that the kits sell out quickly from walk-in demand.

"That's called a 'clue' where I used to work", I said. He laughed, and said that Penn reels were a lot like S&W revolvers--free-standing demand, 24/7/365.

I DO hope Penn doesn't add "glory holes" to their line of saltwater reels.

pmeisel
01-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Its not just the young guys that are ignorant and opinionated. I have run into a few that were older than me that were just absolutely positive about some things that just ain't so.

Not just in gun and sporting goods stores, either. they live in auto parts and hardware as well.

Four Fingers of Death
01-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Its not just the young guys that are ignorant and opinionated. I have run into a few that were older than me that were just absolutely positive about some things that just ain't so.

Not just in gun and sporting goods stores, either. they live in auto parts and hardware as well.

I was horrified a year or two ago when I visited the gunshop inside our state headquarters (Sporting Shooter's Association of Australia). There was a guy behind the counter who was in his late 60s I suppose and had a reallllllllllll smartass attitude. Boy he is a pain. A guy was wanting jacketed bullets for hunting with his 303. The guy pulled a box off the shelf and read, '303 150Gn HPBT' and then added, 'Whatever HPBT means. That would be great for deer' I had to speak up and said 'mate that means, Hollow Point Boat Tail and it is a target bullet, for deer you would be better off with a spitzer and there are some of those on the shelf.' I can't remember what teh sales clerk said, but he attempted to regain control by telling the customer I was wrong, etc, etc. I spoke to the boss who was a few yards away and he chased the customer out of the shop and made him come back and get the correct bullets for hunting.' The older guy must be his father in law or something, he still works there. We used to cal;l useless people in the prison system oxygen thieves, he fell into that category.

BruceB
01-21-2011, 08:30 AM
One more thing: If anybody thinks the goons behind the counter get a commission on sales, think again. They get paid by the hour, nothing more. You have to be a General Manager to get a bonus and some of the big store businesses don't even do that!

Jim, I've asked several of the sales guys in Scheel's (Reno NV) gun department if they work on commission. These are uniformly mature people, mostly in their forties and fifties I'd say. To a man, they said they do indeed work on commission, and each of them gave me his card. These gents don't try to B S me, either. Good folks.

I've bought a number of guns at that store, and the quality of the staff has a lot to do with my willingness to shop there. (Their prices can be very attractive, too.)

In other departments at Scheel's Reno, it doesn't take too many pretty girls smiling and greeting one, to greatly improve the outlook for the day. EVERYONE is friendly and concerned that the customer finds what he's looking for.

This store, at least, has exemplary customer relations.

btroj
01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Bruce is right. I know a guy who used to work at Scheels. Commissions were them order of the day.

KCSO
01-21-2011, 02:40 PM
All it takes to work the counter at Bass pro is 98.6 and that can be either bodtemp OR IQ.

9.3X62AL
01-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Yup, what Bruce said about Scheels. My visits there have impressed me. A lot of their brass and CCI Mini-Mags have been imported into the PRC.

pls1911
01-21-2011, 06:58 PM
I'll repost with my best Cabella's story...

On a routine visit for "stuff", (probably something exciting like socks or camo undies for the wife), I wandered by the used rack and stumbled across a pristine Pedersoli "Quigley" in 45/70 for $800... a careful inspection showed nothing more than the Front globe sight missing the globe insert. I don't think the gun had ever been fired!

I never put it down..... I walked over to the sales desk, and about the time I started the paperwork, this burly fellow strides up and asserts... "There's a mistake ... I'm a professional, and that's a dangerous gun and can't be sold.... we've been holding it back waiting for factory response... it should have never been put out on the sales rack".

Well, I told Mr Wizard: "Lookit here Mr. tough guy, I'm buyin this here iron... go get yur boss..."
Boss coldn't find any docs to support Mr. Wizard's assertion, confirmed it was on the used rack, it was indeed for sale, and at the price marked by the Mr. Wizard hissef...
I walked away with the gun and a smile... and this gun shoots as good as any other 45/70 in the safe.
Obviously, this salesman/shyster was waiting for a chance to spirit this piece out of the store at a give away price, and someone found it, put it on the rack as such, and really PO'd the Wizard!!
Yippee!!! Sometimes we win!!!
What a hoot!
Wizard should have been fired on the spot.

reloader28
01-22-2011, 11:08 AM
A friend of mine bought a 22 Henry from the Billings Mt Cabelas for Christmas. He was shooting it and it was shooting high. He adjusted the ramp all the way down and it still shot high.

He took it back to Cabelas and told them what it was doing and what he did, and they laughed at him and said "no, you have to adjust the ramp higher to make it shoot lower". He argued with the 2 salesmen for about 5 minutes, and since he thought maybe theres a chance he's wrong, he left.

He brought the gun to me a few days later to confirm what he thought, or see if indeed he was wrong. I told him those idiots at Cabelas didnt have clue what they were talking about. I would love to be there when he takes it back this time.

I never knew you had to adjust the rear site higher to make the gun shoot lower. All these years I been doing it wrong.:veryconfu

Four Fingers of Death
01-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I was at the biggest gun shop in the state and was in the process of buying a new rifle at a price that was too good to resist, I can't remember the exact details. A lot of shooters like to roast the shop through jealousy I suppose and also because they are so busy, if you hesitate tehre is always someone else to serve or the walkabout phone they carry is ringing. I have always found that although flat out, the family that own it and their staff are friendly and helpful. As the guy was filling out the reciept, the owner's son walked past and noticed the price tag on the counter. I was back a few feet going through the specials box. I heard him say, 'you've made a mistake with that price, that is our buying price, look it up again and fill in a new price tag before you put it back on the shelf'. The sales employee said, I will have to give this guy his money back.' The owners son then said, no, let him have it at that price.' He then looked at the tag again and called to his brother on the other side of the shop. "XXXX, look at this, guess who's buying lunch today?' His younger brother looked mortified as he obviously recognised his mistake immediately and rolled his eyes back. Older brother then threw him a marker pen and smacked a few price tags on the counter and said 'better get to work!' with a big smile on his face. I got my reciept and walked out a happy camper, can't ask for better treatment than that.

grubbylabs
01-23-2011, 08:24 PM
That is good customer service four fingers. Not your fault someone priced it wrong.

reivertom
01-23-2011, 11:19 PM
I am one of those types that likes big fat boolits, so I have a 45/70. I can't recall how many times I've been told that the 45/70 is a 100 yard gun. Finally one time I smarted off and said OK if that's the case would you like to hold up a 200 yard target for me? According to you , you would be perfectly safe at that distance so why are you backing down?

Tom W.
01-24-2011, 12:30 AM
I've had people tell me that the 51mm part of the metric designation for the .308 was how long the bullet was, and that the 180 grain Power Point on the box was the powder charge, Hand me a box of cartridges when I asked for bullets, Handed me an Encore when I asked to see a Ruger #1, and told me it was illegal for me to make my own bullets, much less assemble my own ammunition...

Southern Son
01-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Mick,
Would that be Cleaver's your are talking about? I have been dealing with them since I came to Qld 15 years ago and have yet to have a bad experience with them. Qld Gun Exchange has always been pretty good, but I would rather give my money to Cleavers.

On that other thing, in the Weapons Registry, they are mostly Public Servants in there, now, with only a few Police left to sign stuff that has to be signed by a Police Officer by law.

Four Fingers of Death
01-26-2011, 06:47 AM
No Horsley Park Gun Shop, always looked after me and were always fair. Cleavers are ok, and a lot of the cowboy stuff is only available there.

I have had a bad run with them they 'smithed a 73 Uberti 44/40 and it wouldn't actually go off the hammer fall was too light and the short stroke job was ballsed up. Two gunsmiths later and a m,ate who is not a smith, but a farmer that is handy with tools, worked it out and it hasn't missed a beat since.

The double barrelled shotty I bought at the same time (also cowboy gunsmithed) also wouldn't fire the left barrel. I had to have new springs fitted and the sears re-cut by a specialist shotgun smith. It is still not 100% and I have to look at the hammer stop as the hammer is not falling deeply enough and ignition on the left hand barrel is unreliable.

The one of the two Pietta revolvers also part of the purchase one is a joy, the other one is excellent, buttttttttttttttt, the second cocking notch was obviously broken during the job and it is very difficult to engage.

I also bought a pair of Ruger Old Armies off them, one is great, the other one locked up as soon as I cocked it. Can't send stuff interstate, so I am looking at $30 gun dealer's fees each way plus postage. Cost me about $150+ to get a warranty job done on it. I will get around to working out whats wrong with it eventually. Assembled wrong I think. Damaged screws as a result of Ruger trained monkey using the one screwdriver on all three screws and damaging the big screw. Not the fault of Cleavers, but it seems wise to deal intrastate rather than interstate.

$6500 odd spent on six firearms and two work well, the rest are a complete frustration.

SkookumJeff
01-26-2011, 11:52 PM
In my area if you are hired to work a gun counter, it's required to have your personality removed and any signs of ambition replaced by apathy. I swear sometimes it's all I can do to get someone to pull a gun out of the case or off the wall so I can get a close look at it.

A couple of weeks ago I was shopping guns with a buddy. We hit several places that day, Cabelas was one. On two occasions I could easily have been talked into buying a gun if the sales clerk would have just shown the slightest interest in selling me a gun. Both times I'd found something I wanted, liked what they had, price was right, all they had to do was ask me if I wanted it. I almost resorted to calling my buddy over to hold down the sales clerk and make em take my money. It's a tactic we use often around here. But not that day, we were both too tired...and the sales clerks just didn't give a ..ah..didn't care, so I took a pass...

I'm getting too old to put up with this nonsense. I'm not inclined to do business anymore with people who just can't be bothered...

Four Fingers of Death
01-27-2011, 09:20 AM
I am one of those types that likes big fat boolits, so I have a 45/70. I can't recall how many times I've been told that the 45/70 is a 100 yard gun. Finally one time I smarted off and said OK if that's the case would you like to hold up a 200 yard target for me? According to you , you would be perfectly safe at that distance so why are you backing down?

I have three 45/70s so I am not down on them, but the reality is, unless you know the range exactly, and know the trajectory exactly (notice I keep using that word), a small mistake in range estimation can result in a miss.

Long distance shooting with the old Gubbermint is awesome fun on the range, but a nailbiting experience when a trophy or a freezer full of meat is hanging in the balance.

Jim
01-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Back in '07, I got hold of an old D/A revolver in .32 S&W. I went to one of the privately owned shops to find ammo. I knew better that to even think of going to "Sporty's" for that.
Told the (older) guy behind the counter I'm looking for .32 S&W. He hands me a box of .32 Spl. "Umm, no Sir, I'm looking for .32 S&W". He argued with me, so I asked to speak to the manager. Here comes some guy that looks like somebody. The old guy says "I don't know what he wants and he doesn't either!" Says I "Oh, really? I'm sorry to have taken up your time" and I walked out.
Manager follows me outside and wants to "explain" what happened. I told him "Let me explain why I'm leaving. I don't care to be insulted by an idiot that doesn't know how to talk to people".
Never went back.

shdwlkr
01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I buy when I can buy my firearms from family owned businesses and if I can find one a gunsmith as they give me the best deals and we can usually agree on a fair price. I have even been at one gunsmith's shop when he took a rifle in trade and we agreed on the trade price he paid and even what he would have to sell it for. Funny thing is if I had money I would have taken the rifle and yes he would have made some profit but if he doesn't then he won't be there when I want to buy again.
I stay away from the chain stores for buying firearms because they as many have said have almost no one that even knows what as the older I get the more old calibers that interest me so I have to go to a real gun store not a commercial factory store that has strange things behind the counter that look like people but seem to be missing a few parts.

Four Fingers of Death
01-27-2011, 06:41 PM
I always try and buy at the local gunshop. Nowadays, several of the major importers put guns on consingment at the shop and they are not much dearer than the big gunshops in the capitol. For example, the Howa 1500 blued/stainless sell for $AU700/$AU800 at the local shop and $655/$AU765. Not much different at all. I will buy off them as it is handy to have a gunshop in town and I have enough things to do when I go to Sydney. Also by buying the odd big ticket item, they appreciate your business and generally look after me better.

John 242
01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
I would like to say that I've had good service from the Wal-Mart in Texarkana. I was there TDY and like any good gun loonie I had to check out the local Wal-Mart and see what they had to offer. Same garden variety stuff, but the older lady (maybe late 50’s) behind the counter really bent over backwards to help me, even after I told her I was just browsing. It’s rare to get service like that at Wally World. I also visited the local Gander Mountain while I was there and the service was mediocre and there prices were high, even on the used guns.

saltydog452
01-28-2011, 11:49 AM
The folks in the kitchen of your local cafe aren't all Master Chefs either.:violin:

My old Speer Manual sez that the 444 is way more powerful, but, compared with 44 Rem Mag., doesn't extend the useful range much.

A lot of us are officially into Geezerhood and have a bit more practical knowledge than the young, bright eyed, bubbly, clerk behing the counter.

Maybe there are employment opportunities for obsolete derelicts like me other than School Crossing Guards, and Greeters at Mall-Mart.

Trying to remember where I parked my Harley Hover-Around.:bigsmyl2:

salty

Ranch Dog
02-01-2011, 10:41 PM
The best I every personally heard was at a Tractor Supply Company store. You know the chain, it should be called Garden Supply Company and is run by a bunch of kids. Every one of the stores are the same. Anyway, I asked one of the kid-clerks for a specific spec of gear oil and he had that "deer in the headlights" look and belted out that I would "need to go to a tractor supply for that!" I did not know how to respond. Finally, I said "yeah, I guess so" and walked out.

starmac
02-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Ranch dog. I got in a fight once with 4 guys right at the principles office and got thrown through the plate glass window into his office. I jumped right back through, he opened the door just enough to get his lips out and said YOU BOYS GO TO THE OFFICE and then locked the door. I thought I could use some relief by now. At least that broke up the fight and everyone scattered. lol

dk17hmr
02-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Best gun shop I have ever been to is just outside of Auburn Michigan. I had just gotten my CCW permit and had my eye on a Kahr CW40, I went in with the cash in my pocket, the owner came over to me when I walked in the door and said if I wanted to see anything just come and get him.....the shop was and always is full of people. I told him what I was after and he said "Yes sir we have those come on over to the handgun counter and we will look them over"....He pulled the CW40 out went over the basics with me you know this is how you take it down, this is where it needs to be lubed, this is how many rounds the mag holds.....stuff I had researched prior to going into the shop. Than for whatever reason I asked if he had the same gun in 45 acp....out of the case comes CW45 with a price tag $75 cheaper, the owner said "oh no I put the wrong price on it, we just got it in last night I was here late pricing everything and getting it in the case"....I asked if I bought it today I could get it for that price, he thought about it for a minute and said "it was my fault so today that is the price of this handgun, and if you buy it right now I will polish and lube it so its ready to rock and roll".....tough choice right I put cash down on the counter and filled out my paper work. I asked about an extra mag for it, the owner said we dont have any in stock right now but if you stop in next week there will be one here for you. The next week I stopped in he remembered my name brought the mag up front put it by the cash register and asked if I was looking for anything else...I dont remember what it was now maybe a pound of powder or some ammo, but he ended up giving me the mag for the price he had to pay for them because it wasnt in stock when I bought the pistol.

The worst place I have ever been to buy a gun was at Cabelas, there was a rifle on the used rack that caught my eye mainly because if had "DOUG" engraved on the floor plate. I looked it over, 1903 Springfield rechambered to 30-06AI. I went into the gun room and asked about it, after getting the zip tie off

the manager said thats a custom rifle
"I see that"
someone spent alot of money on it,
"maybe",
that barrel is an aftermarket chambered in 30-06AI,
"Really?!?! why are there sight screws on the bottom of the barrel"
those arent screws
"So this isnt the orignial military barrel that was set back and rechambered?"
No sir its a custom barrel
"How many places make 2 groove rifle barrels and than drill and tap the bottom of the barrel?"
Let me see that again, well maybe it is a military barrel, but the 2 groove rifling is more accurate than new rifling.
"Maybe so"
You know the army used these in world war 1 to shoot Germans at over 900 yards, thats how accurate these rifles are
"I am pretty sure you are thinking of the Marines in the Battle of Belleau Wood, and they didnt do it with a 30-06 ackely improved"
Same thing
"alright thank you for your time"

I might be a young guy but I know a thing or two.....I have been told several times about the way things are by "smarter" gun counter guys.

Uncle R.
02-02-2011, 12:05 AM
When Remington legitimized the .25-06 way back in the early 70s I had one of the first ones - paid for with money I earned delivering newspapers. They weren't easy to find in the stores but a friend of my father's had an FFL and got a 700 .25-06 shipped in just a few weeks before deer season. Determined to use my new rifle for the deer season I started on a quest for ammo. After months of promotional ads in the gun rags hyping Remington's "new" .25-06 I confess I was a little surprised by how the discussions would progress as I called every sport shop and gun store in the city.
"Got any twenty-five ought six ammo?"
"You mean thirty ought six."
"No - I mean twenty-five."
"There ain't no such thing."
<
After dozens of disappointments I reached a small mom-and pop gun shop where they replied that they had two boxes of Remington factory ammo on the shelf. Glory of glories - they really did.
<GRIN>
Even back then - even when I was fifteen years old - I knew more than the average counter jockey. I don't think the situation has improved since then - at least not in my experience.
<
Uncle R.

BruceB
02-02-2011, 03:05 AM
[QUOTE=dk17hmr;1145928

"Best gun shop I have ever been to is just outside of Auburn Michigan. "

Doug, just a few months back I bought my .303 Ruger #1 from a shop in Auburn. This was a Gunsamerica transaction, and it went very smoothly. My telephone contact with a gent at the shop was extremely pleasant, and all-in-all I was VERY pleased with the store. The price was decent, too.

I wonder if it's the same place you dealt with.

John Taylor
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Being a gunsmith I have heard all kinds of stories. One of my favorites is about my neighbor, a retired E-9 sailor. He was a torpedoman on subs and very knowledgeable about them. He got a job as a used car salesman and they actually sent him to school to learn how to sell cars. He did not know to much about cars but was telling me that you never ask a potential buyer a question that they can answer with a "no". You might ask " do you like the blue car or the red car?" " do you like a four door or two door?" Basically they talk someone into buying something they don't need.
Biggest problem I have had locally is at the Puyallup gun show. I found an antique that I wanted to buy and the man would not sell it to me because I was not a member of their organization. I ask him why that was and he said their members have been checked out and it is legal for them to own a firearm. I told him it was not a firearm because it was made before 1899, and besides I was a licensed dealer so that didn't matter anyway. He started in again how the members had been checked out and that's when I had enough and told him the federal government had already checked me and found that I could legally own a firearm and I had a copy of my license with me. I guess their little club has their rules so I won't be bothering them again by going to their gun show.

SkookumJeff
02-03-2011, 02:33 AM
It's too bad John that the person you dealt with at the Puyallup Gun Show didn't give you the correct answer to why he couldn't sell you a firearm. Washington Arms Collector sponsors the show and the rules are you have to be a member to buy a gun at the gun show. Simple enough. Membership isn't much and this rule keeps the riff raff from illegally purchasing firearms at the gun show. I don't care what paperwork you had proving whatever you wanted to prove, whatever it was is easily faked today with a computer and low cost printer. If preventing illicit sales of firearms at gun shows isn't important to you, then the WAC is just as well off without you. Regards.

looseprojectile
02-03-2011, 07:07 AM
I was a member of the Washington Arms collectors Association when they had shows at the Federal Way High School cafeteria. Also used to go regularly when they had them at the Renton school. Since they have been at the fairgrounds in Puyallup I have been once.
I was told or read it on a sign that a regular American can't buy or sell a gun there. Do you think I would be a different person if I gave them some cash?
Aint never going back. Don't we gunlovers have enough trouble without our own making up rules? Doesn't cost much? What are YOUR freedoms and rights worth?
I will exercise mine and stay away from those that would INFRINGE on em.
And the one time I went to Puyallup I had a pocket full of cash to buy a certain BPCR and someone missed a sale. I bought five guns in December alone. Not at WAC.
I wonder how much they miss because of their rules?
They are much better off without me, my money, my freedoms, my rights and my attitude. I can see where John went wrong. He thought he was a free American that has rights. These rights can only be taken by traitors, dictators and control freaks. And please take this post and show it to THEM.

Life is good

kelbro
02-03-2011, 10:32 AM
It's too bad John that the person you dealt with at the Puyallup Gun Show didn't give you the correct answer to why he couldn't sell you a firearm. Washington Arms Collector sponsors the show and the rules are you have to be a member to buy a gun at the gun show. Simple enough. Membership isn't much and this rule keeps the riff raff from illegally purchasing firearms at the gun show. I don't care what paperwork you had proving whatever you wanted to prove, whatever it was is easily faked today with a computer and low cost printer. If preventing illicit sales of firearms at gun shows isn't important to you, then the WAC is just as well off without you. Regards.

Do they have a secret handshake and wear funny looking hats too?

SkookumJeff
02-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Do they have a secret handshake and wear funny looking hats too?
I"ll tell you what they don't have partner. They don't have Bloomberg showing up with his media thugs to run a gun buying scam and embarrass the locals. That dog won't hunt in this neck of the woods.

oneokie
02-03-2011, 12:55 PM

A couple of questions regarding your post.

Is there a conspicious sign posted at the entrance to the venue stating that firearm sales are limited to WAC members only?

Is the policy of not selling firearms to non members used to draw the unsuspecting and/or uninformed to the shows to generate revenue from the entrance fee?

kelbro
02-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I"ll tell you what they don't have partner. They don't have Bloomberg showing up with his media thugs to run a gun buying scam and embarrass the locals. That dog won't hunt in this neck of the woods.

In this neck of the woods, all you need is a driver's license or other proof of residency. To get a driver's license, you need proof of citizenship.

We also have open carry and limited concealed carry with no permit.

Pretty doggone close to the second amendment that I support.

SkookumJeff
02-03-2011, 04:19 PM
A couple of questions regarding your post.

Is there a conspicious sign posted at the entrance to the venue stating that firearm sales are limited to WAC members only?

YES

Is the policy of not selling firearms to non members used to draw the unsuspecting and/or uninformed to the shows to generate revenue from the entrance fee?

If I understand this question (and I'm not sure I do), not to my knowledge. If you are a member, the entrance fee is waved. I go to 10-11 shows per year, it saves me money to be a member and have the entrance fee waved. Every member is subjected to a 'one time' background check when they apply for membership. That is the reason stated that non members can not purchase firearms at a gun show. If so desired, you can join the WAC at a gun show. When you join, if you can prove you've had a background check done by way of a concealed carry permit or I suppose a FFL license, then the background check is waved (along with the cost IIRC) and you can complete a transaction to purchase a firearm at the same show.

Look, I'm not a recruiter for WAC. I don't care one way or the other if anyone joins or not. I belong as I said, so I don't have to pay to enter and I get the side benefit of being able to purchase firearms, plus I am happy to support a good gun organization in my state that helps politically keep my state a good state for gun owners. Truth be told, IMO most guns are very overpriced at these gun shows, so the benefit of being able to buy firearms is of very limited value to me.

But every time I hear some anti gun nitwit claim evil felons are buying guns at gun shows, I am glad WAC has the policy they have. Not saying this can't happen at a WAC show, but at least the criminals have to make some effort to pull it off.

oneokie
02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Every member is subjected to a 'one time' background check when they apply for membership.
I would hope that WAC does an update on the background check on a regular basis, at minimum yearly. And I also hope that WAC does not waive the requirement to fill out a 4473 on purchases because of this policy.

waksupi
02-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I've been to the muzzle loader show at Puyallup. If I would have drove that far, and found I could not buy a firearm because I wasn't a member, I would have been more than aggravated.
As far as I'm concerned, the gun show sponsors are running a scam, and I sure as hell would never give them membership extortionist dues to make a purchase. That's about the most underhanded scam I've ever heard of. Maybe Ben Cannon is an organizer?
If they want to run shows that way, they shouldn't advertise outside of the club membership, and allow no outside public in at all.

looseprojectile
02-03-2011, 05:53 PM
And if a private company or non profit corporation such as the WAC is using the NICS system it is probably illegal. And if they don't it is probably fraud. It is just BS perpetuated by the club. Follow the money. Where does the money go? I never get answers, just BS.
I am also NOT a member of the NRA because the NRA is not accountable to the rank and file and will not recognize any individual member. Even the NRA should not be able to access anyones records through the NICS. Public records are there for anyone to access but the NICS system is not that. And in Washington it does not cost anything to call the FBI and do a background check. You are being flim flamed. There are so many laws virtually any firearms transaction can be found to have violated at least one. Like in selling guns on a continuing basis at gunshows for profit and not having a FFL. Sounds to me like you give up your rights for a little safety. I have no problem with a club charging a membership fee, just not for that reason.

Life is good

SkookumJeff
02-03-2011, 07:49 PM
:coffee:

Flim flammed? Scams? Give up my rights?

Hmmm...doesn't take much to get you guys worked up into a lather.

I'm done here.

9.3X62AL
02-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah, some of us just crave excitement. :)

With the likelihood of a return to civilization looming large on the horizon, I've given some thought to returning to work at one of the larger gun/tackle stores in the southern third of the state after getting settled. The extra money would be real nice, and maybe injecting a little real knowledge into the process might be refreshing to the customer base. Previously, I had little trouble almost doubling my salary on commissions while selling firearms and tackle at one of the stores comprising SoCal's Evil Empire Of Outdoor Goods (Turner's Outdoorsman). It would be fun.

dk17hmr
02-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Doug, just a few months back I bought my .303 Ruger #1 from a shop in Auburn. This was a Gunsamerica transaction, and it went very smoothly. My telephone contact with a gent at the shop was extremely pleasant, and all-in-all I was VERY pleased with the store. The price was decent, too.

I wonder if it's the same place you dealt with.

I wouldnt doubt it , he is the only one in town and I know he sells online alot......Williams Gun Shop, I have never had a bad experience with them.