PDA

View Full Version : New pot

Fly-guy
01-15-2011, 09:54 PM
I started out with a Lyman 10 pound pot yeaaaars ago and had great luck with it but unfortunately, it died on me yeaars ago. I "upgraded" to the Lyman 20 pounder and just haven't been satisfied with it like I was the 10 pounder.

The 20 pounder cycles on and off like a stop light and freezes up if you add more than 1 pound of lead. Frustrating? You beccha it is! Finally got fed up with it and ordered a Lee 10 pounder.

It looks hoakey, it's small and even stunk when I plugged it in but I promise you this, the little feller will melt lead. I'd almost forgotten how it felt to use a lead pot that really worked. Two thumbs up on the Lee pot!

Matt3357
01-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah those hokey pots and the price of a good one is the reason I built my own 60 lb pot. 750 watts on 120v melts all 60lbs in about 30 mins and keeps me running as long as I could want to sit there and cast at one time. Temp is controlled by a PID and thermocouple and the valve is actuated by a solenoid and a button with an adjustable timer circuit so all I do is put the cavity under the spout and push the button.

Matt

HangFireW8
01-16-2011, 06:21 PM
The 20 pounder cycles on and off like a stop light and freezes up if you add more than 1 pound of lead. Frustrating? You beccha it is! Finally got fed up with it and ordered a Lee 10 pounder.

So, your Lyman 20# is broken. It is running just above melting point and needs to run hotter. This can be fixed.

In other news, the capitalist system thanks you for buying yet another pot.

-HF

Beekeeper
01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
The little 10 pounder is all I have ever used until my kids bought me a Lee magnum for Christmas/Fathers day. you name it day.
Haven't received it from Lee yet, sometime next week I hope, so will let you know the diference to me.

Jim

Dale53
01-16-2011, 06:51 PM
I have a friend who has cast match quality bullets for years. He complained to me that one of his RCBS pots didn't get hot enough. He wasn't aware that the thermostats can be adjusted on those. It DOES require you to drill out the rivets in the case and gently spread the sheet metal sides to gain access to the thermostat. Then it can be adjusted. Be sure everything is correct by actually testing of temperature settings, then gently bend the sheet metal back in place and pop-rivet them closed.

It worked like a charm...

Dale53

canyon-ghost
01-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Seems to be a slight difference in the wattage, Lyman shows 800 watts and Lee shows 700. Maybe that means something but, I'm not an electrician either.