PDA

View Full Version : rubber stickys???

arjacobson
01-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Okay got about 40-50 pounds of WW today and have found quite a few heavy RUBBER stick on's.. Let me see we have zinkers-steels...NOW rubber stickys to deal with.. I am starting to see more junk weights than ever before. This lead ban thing is rearing it's ugly head.. On a high note though my brother in law got me 1-1/2 buckets over christmas with only a few steelies and NO zinkers... checked each and every one just to be sure...

DeanWinchester
01-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Yup, I mentioned those a while back. I found a new one a few days ago to look for. How about a hollow plastic stick on filled with a ferrous (iron??? it magnetic) shot type media. WAAAAYYYY to fine to used for shot shells, but I am cutting them open and saving it anyway. I might load me up some door breaching rounds.:veryconfu

arjacobson
01-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Haven't seen any of the tube things yet.. I have found some silver weights marked"35" that are zinc though..... Some are lead some are zinc.. All the 10-15-20-25-30 marked ones have been lead.. Only problem I have had have been the 35's.. I should keep all the zinc to scrap but end up throwing them in our metal dumpster at work... Anyway I will keep an eye out for the ones you mention

DeanWinchester
01-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Here's what they look like. Notice the fine media in the mason jar? It's ferrous whatever it is. I'm saving it from now on. It'll make some good loads for blowing out door hinges or fanning a dog's ars. The second pic I cut open the end.
There is a company logo on these that say IMI.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/iluvmyferrets/photo-3-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/iluvmyferrets/photo-1-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/iluvmyferrets/photo-7.jpg

Freightman
01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Brother in law brought me some weights yesterday and all I found was two zinc and about a dozen iorn the rest were lead.
That stuff looks like tumbling media for really dirty brass.

lwknight
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Throwing zinc away ? Why ?
Zinc is almost the same price as lead!!

Jim
01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Throwing zinc away ? Why ?
Zinc is almost the same price as lead!!

What would ya' do with it?

arjacobson
01-17-2011, 07:27 PM
I haven't had too much zinc to really save. After one of my boys "helped" me and put the zinc weights in the lead bucket I decided to scrap them right away so they have no chance of getting mixed up.. Besides I already have too many buckets with valuable scrap in the garage already... ..brass-copper-aluminum- not to mention 4-5 buckets of wheel weights and ingots

lwknight
01-17-2011, 07:45 PM
What would ya' do with it?

I can get $0.65 per pound at the scrap yard for clean zinc and $0.45 for all wheel weights.
Industrially , it will cost over $1.20 per pound to buy zinc.

Pistol_Pete
01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Back in the seventies, my dad bought some things that looked a little like that. They were supposed to somehow self-balance the wheels. Fortunately they came with a money back guarantee, because they didn't work.

Here's what they look like. Notice the fine media in the mason jar? It's ferrous whatever it is. I'm saving it from now on. It'll make some good loads for blowing out door hinges or fanning a dog's ars. The second pic I cut open the end.
There is a company logo on these that say IMI.

01-17-2011, 09:10 PM
They're used to balance rubber wheels.

DeanWinchester
01-17-2011, 09:15 PM
They're used to balance rubber wheels.

Recent investigations lead me to believe that they are actually Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers.

geargnasher
01-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I just got a batch from a local scrounger that had about five pounds of those sticky, rubber tape weights. I just tossed them, figured anything that new couldn't have lead in it so I didn't bother to check.

Gear

home in oz
01-20-2011, 12:45 AM
Good Score!

2wheelDuke
01-22-2011, 06:13 AM
I've seen a few of the heavy rubber weights now. I get alot of junk in the WW's I get, but I can't complain.

The rubber ones were pretty big for what felt like 1/4oz weights.

leadman
01-22-2011, 09:25 PM
I got some of the tube type weights aver a year ago from a heavy truck tire store. I tried melting this stuff but it just kinda goes away.
Same thing with the heavy plastic stick-ons. I was told there is lead mixed in the plastic, but it doesn't want to melt out so it is usable.

arjacobson
01-22-2011, 09:51 PM
I wondered about melting them also but just ended up tossing them in the clip bucket.. They are very flexible and heavy