PDA

View Full Version : Drill and tap pistol with drill press

Shooter6br
01-15-2011, 05:56 PM
I would like to drill and tap two pistols for scopes. My Ruger Blackhawk and Smith 657. Question is this something with a drill press a home smith can do? Or should the pros did it?:groner:

DeanWinchester
01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
I was a tool & die maker for 12 years. I have know men that could do it. Heck I knew a couple that could do it with a hand drill.
As for me? I'd run like a dog! Never would I attempt it on a common drill press. A Milling Machine or a Jig Bore. Nothing less.

waksupi
01-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Definitely a job for a pro! Just say no!

Gunsmoke4570
01-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't try it. Not with a drill press.

bigfoot
01-15-2011, 07:40 PM
You have to have a knack (feel)for that kind of stuff !! if its your first time drilling and tapping steel, i dont think i would test my skills on my pistol. even guys that do it for a living have trouble with it at times!! but the drill press i dont think i would use, my .02 worth
bigfoot

fecmech
01-16-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm sure glad I did not read this thread a few years back, I was nervous enough when I did the job! I D&T"d my Ruger SBH and GP 100 on a drill press for the Weigand mount and had no problems at all. Set the mount on with the sight screw, used a transfer punch for the first hole. D&Td'd that hole, then with two screws in the mount, used the transfer punch again and D&T'd the second hole. My drill press is fairly new and I used new drill bit and ran the tap with the drill press by hand. From the previous posts I'm evidently a lucky guy!

targetshootr
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
I noticed a bit in my drill press will bend and drift away from where I want the hole. Hate when that happens.

JIMinPHX
01-17-2011, 02:42 PM
If you need to ask the question, then you are probably not one of the small percentage of people that is likely to be able to do a good job of it. The price of having it done professionally is far less than the loss of value if you do a poor job.

If you do want to try it yourself, then practice several times on a piece of scrap steel first.

Char-Gar
01-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Roy Dunlap in his book Gunsmithing tells and shows how to drill and tap firearms with a dill press. I have know many gunsmiths who did not have a mill in their shop and used a drill press to drill and tap firearms for scope mounts and sights. In my machining course in college, we learned how to drill and tap with a drill press even thought it was along side a mill.

I have used a drill press scores of times to drill and tap for scope mounts and sights and never had a mishap. I don't understand this insistence on having a mill. This are not parts for a space ship, it is a gun for Pete's sake.

If a drill bit walks or bends, the operator of the press is not doing it right. I use the proper size center drill to create a divot which centers the bit. The bit only bends where it is the wrong kind, at the wrong speed, without the proper lubrication or somebody is trying to horse the hole in the metal and not letting the machine do the work. I would have no hesitation about drilling and tapping the mentioned handguns on a drill press.

That said, while it is not rocket science, there is more to doing the job right than chucking up a bit and having at it. If a person doesnt know what he is doing, I would not start with anything I valued. With the proper knowledge and care, a drill press will do just find.