PDA

View Full Version : 9mm 147 hard cast lead & Red Dot powder

max it
01-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Father forgive me, I have made my own load. Will you bless me?

Hi, Anyone care to weigh in on my loading today for a steel reactive match tomorrow? I am loading my own cast 147gn w/ 75% #2 alloy + 25% linotype (22Bhn?) with 4.0 gn of Red Dot in a 9mm. Is it going to be too high pressure? I havent time to Chrono as if I had one ...

Much obliged, Max

Calamity Jake
01-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Father forgive me, I have made my own load. Will you bless me?

Hi, Anyone care to weigh in on my loading today for a steel reactive match tomorrow? I am loading my own cast 147gn w/ 75% #2 alloy + 25% linotype (22Bhn?) with 4.0 gn of Red Dot in a 9mm. Is it going to be too high pressure? I havent time to Chrono as if I had one ...

Much obliged, Max

Yes it will be to high, out of 5 load books there is no load data for a bullet that heavy and RED DOT in the 9MM, cast or jacketed
I see one load of Red Dot for a 124rn cast at 3.8 start and 4.2 max.

If you have any loaded with 4.0 of RD you better pull em.
Your 147gr will make pressures to high.

max it
01-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Jake,

Wow, I reset the press to 3.5 grains. HOwever I am hustling over the range and see if the 4.0 wont hurt, I have maybe 75 loaded. And I am not so inclined to undo them, especially as I havent lubed up enough from my last casting. Anyway if I dont update this in a hour or so, ,,,, EMT hello, kidding.

Much obliged,

Max

max it
01-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Jake,

I ran over the local indoor and tried both 4.0 and 3.5 Red Dot; not much diff. And I have a lighter than stock spring in my XD-Tactical. I am going to go with the 3.5 as the 4.0 scares me in that it fills the casing.

Much obliged,

Max

GabbyM
01-16-2011, 03:04 AM
You need a micrometer to measure head expansion.

A chrono to measure velocity is nice. Just load to published velocity. A 9mm will stand extra pressure but I'd not do that on purpose.

If you have any leading problems with that fast powder the first fix I'd try is to go to a much slower powder. AA7 to AA5. VV3n38 is the top velocity powder with 9mm 147 grain flat nose bulets.

GabbyM
01-16-2011, 03:12 AM
with the long 147gr bullets most 9mm expander plugs do not reach far enough into the case to free up deep seated space for the 147's. Then you swag down the bullet with that thick tapered case wall. Accuracy and leading issues result. As per my thread below.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95269

nascarkent
01-16-2011, 10:57 AM
[ Wow, I reset the press to 3.5 grains. However I am hustling over the range and see if the 4.0 ]Quote

How did your primers look? Kinda FLAT?

max it
01-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Kent,

I really should have looked, however today I shot the entire 100 I loaded and no issues, at least none I am aware of. It's 3.5 Red Dot for me now, as the accuracy of both is better than my WST and WSF loads.
I still have to clean the gun and possibly deal with any leading, which I usually dont get. I do have a Lewis Lead Remover from Brownell's on my 'buy' list.

Much obliged,

Max

max it
01-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Gabby,

I read your previous post, franky way over my head, sorry. I have a Dillon 550 the dies are new from Redding. I have loaded thousands of 147gn bullets that I cast and some I bought, no accuracy issues; I have just tried my bullets out of a recently cryo'd barrel in a Sig P226x5 and got a one hole with 10 rounds at 25' feet or so. Nothing my poor XD9-Tactical can do. As far as leading goes; a Lewis is on my short list to buy. I'll let you know later. For now I can not discern any leading.

Much obliged,

Max