PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Ideal 55

wallenba
01-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Just bought a Lyman Ideal #55 at my local gun shop this morning. Orange, pretty old. The box is something you would see from the 40's or 50's judging by the graphics style and the perforated metal corner reinforcements. It has an instruction sheet too, but is missing the top. Anybody find anything that fits it's top? It's 2'' in outside diameter and 1.75'' inside diameter. Paid $30 for it, was it a fair deal?

01-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I bought one a few months ago and am impressed with it. I've yet to have a bridging problem and fine powders do not leak, like the previous measure. You will meet some cutting resistance with stick powders, but I don't find it bothersome.

I think the price was more than fair, especially since you didn't have to pay shipping.

Regarding a top, other than the obvious of calling Lyman, how about a PVC end piece, from a well stocked hardware or irrigation store. Don't know if the end pieces come in that size, though.

1hole
01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
The #55 is THE oldest measure still in production, that says something. That package design was still used in the 60s.

You should be able to find a plastic or copper pipe cap that will fit well enough, you don't want to store powder in the hopper over night anyway so tightness isn't important.

ALL measures cut coarse grained powders, Lee's have the fewest problems with that stuff.

Dan Cash
01-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Check out a Butler Creek snap open Scope Cap. They make one that will fit. Store propellant in your measure to your heart's content. Some may discolor the plastic but it is readily replaceable.

jfg
01-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Spray paint can top. Different sizes, so check.

Wayne Smith
01-15-2011, 09:05 PM
If all else fails let me know. I'll turn you a wooden one. I have two of the measures, one plastic tube and one with the BP alum. tube.

btroj
01-15-2011, 09:42 PM
No idea where the top for mine is. Don't use it anyway. I like my 55 for small charges of powder. Easy to make small adjustments.

C A Plater
01-16-2011, 04:17 AM
Have you looked at Lyman for a replacement cap? Lyman 55 parts (http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page87.html) page might help. I also suggest you get the powder measure baffle too if yours doe not have one. It makes throws much more consistent over a loading session.

Kevin Rohrer
01-16-2011, 09:14 AM
ALL measures cut coarse grained powders...

Exceptions:
*Belding & Mull
*Quick-Measure

Yes, the Lyman has problems w/ stick powders. I am told that the problem is minimized if you set the measure so the largest chamber is open the most, rather than setting it using all three chambers (my terminology may be wrong), but I haven't tried it yet.

onondaga
01-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Some hardware stores have clear parts containers with a top that you squeeze and a slot opens. the bottom without the slot can be removed and used as a top for the 55's hopper tube. I got my parts holding tubes at Value Hardware, they are clear and the ends are usually black or red. they are just the right diameter and the tube part can be used as a replacement powder hopper also.. These units are about $3.

Gary

jmh54738
01-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Check out a Butler Creek snap open Scope Cap. They make one that will fit. Store propellant in your measure to your heart's content. Some may discolor the plastic but it is readily replaceable.

I can't agree with leaving powder in the powder measure. Years ago I left Red Dot, Unique or Bullseye in my #55 measure for a couple of weeks. Not only did the plastic tube turn yellow, but the inner surface in contact with the powder was as soft as chewing gum, with the powder flakes stuck to the plastic. Why would you want to cause damage when it is avoidable. Don't do it. Return the powder to the properly labeled can immediately after use, for safety and to prevent changes in the powder through humidity changes and solvent loss.

selmerfan
01-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Exceptions:
*Belding & Mull
*Quick-Measure

Yes, the Lyman has problems w/ stick powders. I am told that the problem is minimized if you set the measure so the largest chamber is open the most, rather than setting it using all three chambers (my terminology may be wrong), but I haven't tried it yet.

That's exactly right, the reason being that when the largest cylinder is the most open, you reduce the surface area of powder that is on the surface and subject to "cutting". If you employ a quick, decisive throwing technique, it's not usually an issue, and the Lyman 55 is the only measure I use.

shotman
01-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Leave the powder in there and see what happens to it with some of the new stuff. Dump it and put a bounce sheet in it
5744 will eat it up in 3 days

lylejb
01-22-2011, 04:08 AM
I leave powder in my 55 all the time.

In fact, at all times.

I bought it used in about 1992 or so, no damage or yellowing yet.

I find it interesting that some say the plastic can get attacked quickly.

I wonder if this is specific to one type, or brand of powder?

Maybe they changed the type of plastic it's made from?

Kevin Rohrer
01-22-2011, 09:28 AM
It may depend on the powder. I once left a pistol powder (can't remember if it was Unique, Bullseye, or HP38) in my RCBS Uniflow measure for a few weeks and it ate its way into the plastic. I had to scrape it out of the plastic hopper wall. Never again.

Pressman
01-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Lyamn changed the type of plastic used along with how the hopper fits the body in the late 70's. Early ones threaded in and were susceptable to powder damage. Later ones are a press fit and powder does not affect them.

Ken

jmh54738
01-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Good answer, Pressman, bought mine new in the early 1960s and it has a threaded plastic hopper. Powder will damage it.

Char-Gar
01-25-2011, 02:38 PM
My first powder measure (back in 1959) was a Lyman 55. It was a good enough measure, but I found the vernier type scale hard to read and replicate. So, after a few months of use, I bought a Hollywood with the micrometer adjustment what was a snap to read and replicate. I am still using the Hollywood. Several years back I bought a good Lyman 55, but have never taken it out of the box. I certainly would not sell it for $30.00!!! You got a good deal!

Mike Kerr
01-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Ya gotta admit the little suckers are reliable, have a cute powder knocker, and the older orange ones provide a splash of color on the bench.

Regards,

:smile::smile::smile:

jmh54738
01-26-2011, 01:02 PM
I've used my #55 for 50 years with complete satisfaction. Never used or paid any attention to the graduation marks. The cover got lost about 35 years ago. Instead of a baffle, I place a funnel on the reservoir. Powder flowing from the funnel maintains a constant level in the plastic reservoir.