PDA

View Full Version : I will never get done!

44man
11-02-2006, 10:09 AM
I have had so much yard work and gun work I just can't get to cherries, lube tests, slug tests, casting, loading or anything else. Then the wife went hunting and got a large doe using her grill, headlight, radiator, fender and hood. $2900 damage. I told her the safe is full of guns, don't use the 4 Runner any more. She now has to drive mine putting a crimp in my hunting.
My gunsmith friend had a Marlin to blue for me for my customer. It was pitted very badly and I never invested in polishing and blueing equipment. Charlie has asthma and the gun has been in his shop for over two years. I had to pick it up and file out the pits, hand sand it and cold blue it with Oxpho-Blue. I already had the wood refinished but it still used a few more days. It looks OK but I can't get the deep, even blue like a tank can.
I plan on another archery deer this afternoon! Then I will have a little time before gun season.
All of you will learn that when you retire, there is no time for anything that you did in your spare time while working every day.

Bass Ackward
11-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Yep. That's where you learn how a wide flat works on game. Expensive lesson though.

Too many projects, too little time. I have 4 Tubbs lapper kits down stairs now. That's a two day, all day operation for each gun.

Doesn't help when you are never satisfied either. That one character flaw really costs you over the years.

44man
11-03-2006, 12:23 AM
I seen 16 deer this afternoon but all were too far. Need to move my stand closer. I did try a long shot on one and hit a twig I didn't see. The arrow deflected, hit a branch or something, sounding like I hit it with a baseball bat, and broke in half. I found the arrow stuck 2" in the ground, upside down with the broadhead up in the air. I will never figure that one out! Oh well, try again in the morning I guess.
I once hit a deer in the chest with a sideways deflected arrow. Knocked him down and he couldn't get up for a long time. I thought I killed him but he got up and ran off. I found my arrow bent to the shape of his chest.
I did manage to cut some on a cherry. I might have some sharp edges this time. Only time will tell. Stinking end mills sure raise a lot of burrs.
My truck inspection ran out so I need to do that. Then I am going to buy a DR tow behind lawn vacuum. I have 48 trees and bushes in my yard, anyone need some leaves?