PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Orange Magic

gnoahhh
01-15-2011, 11:15 AM
I was gifted a few sticks of Orange Magic. I never used the stuff and can't seem to find any comments about it. Is it ok? My casting is for about 95% rifle stuff @ between 1100 and 2100 fps and PB pistol stuff @ wimpy velocities. I have been completely satisfied with Javelina Lube for about 4 decades now and have no intentions of permanently switching but I would at least like to try the Orange.

Do I absolutely need a heater to get it through my Lyman luber-sizer? What kind of performance can I reasonably expect in comparison to an Alox lube?

My experimentation goes in many directions but I never bothered messing with different lubes once I found one that satisfied my needs.

oldhickory
01-15-2011, 11:37 AM
I've used "Orange Magic" for years for both rifle and pistol boolits. Yes, you'll need a heater under your machine. The heaviest rifle loads I've used it with are in .30/06, Lyman 311332 with 43gr of IMR 4831 in a Garand. No trace of leading what-ever. I've shot the same boolit/lube combo out of other .30s with charges of 23-28gr of IMR4227 with no problem and good accuracy as well.

I don't know if it's a "proper" pistol lube, but I use it on .44&.45 boolits quite sucessfully. In fact, aside from home brew BP lube it's all I've used for the past 20yrs.

Here's what Lyman ad for it;

A Premium bullet lube for high performance loads.

This hard lubricant is designed to provide higher velocities with cast pistol and rifle bullets without leading. It will not melt out of loaded ammunition at high temperatures. (Recommended for use with the Lyman Lube Heater.) All Lyman stick lubricants are hollow and fit the 4500 Sizer/ Lubricator and similar Sizing/Lubricating tools, including RCBS.

Here are the reviews on Midway USA;

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=521810

gnoahhh
01-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Ok. Any suggestions for a make-do heater? For the reasons stated above I don't want to get carried away with this little one-off experiment.

oldhickory
01-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Ok. Any suggestions for a make-do heater? For the reasons stated above I don't want to get carried away with this little one-off experiment.

Maybe some heat tape around the resivoir, the electrical kind to keep pipes from freezing in the winter?

d garfield
01-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Good morning

That is all that I use in my 45-70 sharps. I push them between 1400/1600 and have no trouble with leading. I use WW. You will have to use some type of heat. for a long time I used an old hair dryer, it worked better than the Lyman heater.

Have fun loading. Garf:cbpour:

canyon-ghost
01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Desk lamp, hair dryer, etc. all the inexpensive solutions will work. I tried Orange Magic but, didn't like the smell. It was just a bit too loud for me. Loved the Super Moly combined with mica to keep it in place. Then I found Carnuba Red and Bac, now it's White Label for me.

tackstrp
01-15-2011, 03:04 PM
heat tape for the heater. good suggestion . will try. been using a high end uphostery hot air gun. Get much hotter than hair dryer.

Tom W.
01-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I bought some a while a go. I thought it smelled better than the other stuff that I bought or made, and it worked pretty good, but as stated elsewhere I learned about Carnauba Red and now that's all I use..

JIMinPHX
01-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Orange Magic basically works pretty well as a lube. I've tried it up to a little over 2,000fps. It does need some heat to soften it up enough to flow properly. It holds up well when you have a pile of loose boolits rolling around in a box, or other storage container. It's pretty clean to work with, especially compared to something like Moly.

On the down side, I've noticed that my accuracy drops off a little with Orange Magic, compared to some other lubes. I think that sometimes chunks of Orange Magic come off the boolit as it leaves the muzzle of the gun & cause a slight imbalance of the projectile. At pistol ranges, the difference is hard to see. On 100-yard rifle shots, it starts to become more evident. At least that's been my experience.

If somebody gave me some, I'd certainly use it up. I'd probably try to use it mostly for pistols.

justingrosche
01-17-2011, 12:30 AM
I have a Lyman lube heater on the Lam II but here's the cheapo set up on the 450.

beladran
01-19-2011, 04:38 PM
i have seen the same exact thing done except they used a peice of plate allum instead of steel