PDA

View Full Version : Bore Cleaning

FallRun
11-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Not too long ago I read something on here about an electronic device that will get all the lead out of a bore. can someone help me out with what this is called or direct me to that thread? thanx in advance Glenn

44woody
11-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Glenn go to your local gun shop that would be the person to ask he should know where to go if he doesen't already have one you also might make up some edd's red to help get the lead out I use it on my moulds and it works real good in cieaning the lead off I hope this helps you :castmine: 44Woody

dragonrider
11-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Mine is from Outers and is called a "Foul Out II" I believe that model has been dropped in favor of the "Foul Out III". Don't know the difference.

mosin9130
11-02-2006, 11:35 AM
I've just built up my homemade 'Foul Out' (see the thread 'Mosin M91 worn barrel' under 'Military Rifles'); it's very simple and works great!
The links on how to make your own are:
www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Copper
www.frfrogspad.com/copclean.pdf
also on surplusrifle.com (the link at the bottom of page) you'll find an useful tutorial on this subject.
I've used plain ammonia but I think ammonia/vinegar is better.

walltube
11-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Not too long ago I read something on here about an electronic device that will get all the lead out of a bore. can someone help me out with what this is called or direct me to that thread? thanx in advance Glenn

Glenn,

Outers 'Foul Out II' has been discontinued in favor of no. III, which in MyHuOp, is a more efficient tool. Should you decide to buy one, simply follow the included directions. Too bad we can't salvage all the lead fouling on the rod for future use. I guess that says something about me :)...........

If you are a DIY sort, home made devices & their construction plans are somewhere here in the archives.

Outers 'Foul Out III' is available from MidwayUSA, Graf & Son, and other mail order houses.

Cheers,

Walltube

mosin9130
11-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Glen,
the full link on surplusrifle is http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/pdf/makingthesurplus2.pdf

If, as Walltube says, you search in the archives (keyword 'foul out'), you'll find a lot of useful opinions.

walltube
11-02-2006, 12:22 PM
OOPS,

Re: mosin9130,

Posted a bit late didn't I? Not a high-jack :)

dragonrider,

If there is one feature the F.O.II has the no. III has not, are the two alligator clips. For instance, the 'gator clips allowed me a more flexible use when cleaning the forcing cone on my SP101. A 4" 90deg. bent ss rod did the trick on any lead fouling present on the top strap underside too. No. III's control unit is a bit clumsy. But I'm working on it...

W'tube

montana_charlie
11-02-2006, 02:08 PM
If you want to try one of the home-made designs, it should work just fine.
But the solution that they have you mix up is for copper fouling.

The Foul Out kit comes with two solutions...one for copper, one for lead.
I have never found an article, for a home-made device, which has an 'easy' formula that simulates the lead removal solution that comes with the Foul Out.

After much searching, I did find mention of what is needed to make a lead removal medium. It calls for lead acetate (I think it was), but the stuff is nearly impossible to buy these days.
You can make it...but it takes months (or a year) of soaking to get enough to do any good.
CM

FallRun
11-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Thank you all for your help, Glenn