PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Annual Cast Bullet Workshop - May 21st 2011 - Shirley Rod & Gun Club

DukeInFlorida
01-15-2011, 09:40 AM
You are all invited.

This has turned into an annual NES event, and if anyone here is in the New England area at the end of May, and wants to attend, you are WELCOME!!

We cover the subject of casting, soup to nuts....... Processing of raw materials (wheel weights or range lead, pure lead) into ingots, casting bullets, mold preparation, sizing, lubing, etc, etc, etc.

We'll have a gaggle of experienced casters on hand, showing equipment, explaining how, and allowing everyone to have a hand at the DOING of it.

It's a great opportunity for anyone who's thinking of getting into casting. At the end of the day, you'll be somewhat proficient. We'll have dozens of the recent and popular molds from Group Buys, as well as some standard molds from all the regular companies. You'll get to try them out.

We ask that anyone coming bring 20 pounds of raw wheel weights or range lead. We'll use that to make the ingots. You'll get to take home your lead as ingots and bullets.

So, if at all possible, join me at the NES Third Annual cast Lead Bullet Workshop:

LINK:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/119880-2011-Annual-Cast-Bullet-Workshop-May-21st-2011-Shirley-Rod-amp-Gun-Club

deltaenterprizes
01-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Nice! I wish I was closer!

FISH4BUGS
01-15-2011, 11:48 AM
I am in Portsmouth NH and would be delighted to volunteer to help. I have all the tools from soup to nuts. 2000 lbs WW's, 600lbs ingots, 300lbs linotype, smelter setup, ingot moulds, casting pots, tons 'o moulds, etc. It sounds like a fun day.
I think Shirley is about an hour from here down Rte 2. (95S/495S/2W).
Let me know.
Weaponcraft? I am a graduate of Peter's (I think that was his name) courses many years back. Even won Top Gun Award once. (well, I think it was second place if I recall).

dragonrider
01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
First I have heard of this event. I will surely try to be there.

DukeInFlorida
01-16-2011, 06:14 AM
For those (here) who are interested in attending, please try to sign up on the referred to thread. That way we'll get a sense for how much food, volunteers, etc.

We're very happy to have as many people as possible. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

randyrat
01-18-2011, 01:25 AM
This is a very cool thing your doing for the ART of casting. Spreading the knowledge as your doing. I am very glad someone is doing this. I wish more gun clubs would share this knowledge and pass on the ART.
From what I understand there was about 50 participating last year or the last time you held one of these. Gotta give ya a great big hand on that one.

Wayne Smith
01-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Every once in a while I wish I was still in NH. Very infrequently, especially in the winter! This qualifies as one of those moments.

Hickory
01-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Years ago, I gave a demonstration on casting for a Boy Scout troop.
I'm glad that I did but it had its own consequences.
It seems that one of the kids, -well he's pushing 30 now so I guess his not a kid-
has been for years going around to some of my favorite haunts and getting the W-W that I used to get.
I did not know who he was until I found out his name.
Oh well, that's just the way it goes.

Skipper488
01-18-2011, 03:24 PM
What would be the odds of having someone video this and post it on youtube?

pearson1662
01-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Years ago, I gave a demonstration on casting for a Boy Scout troop.
I'm glad that I did but it had its own consequences.
It seems that one of the kids, -well he's pushing 30 now so I guess his not a kid-
has been for years going around to some of my favorite haunts and getting the W-W that I used to get.
I did not know who he was until I found out his name.
Oh well, that's just the way it goes.

That's funny!!!! As Clare Boothe Luce said, "No good deed goes unpunished."

DukeInFlorida
05-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Just wanted to BUMP this thread for anyone in the area.

Our Cast Boolit Workshop is Saturday May 21st, just a couple of weeks away.

If you are able to attend, please join us. Whether experienced as a caster, of just a fresh new wanna be caster, we'll have some tips and ideas for you.

We'll have plenty of molds on hand to try, and lots of material to run.

rbertalotto
05-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm just starting out in casting............So I'll be there!

Thanks for doing this!

DukeInFlorida
05-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING that you need to know will get covered in good detail.

Look forward to seeing you there.

I'm just starting out in casting............So I'll be there!

Thanks for doing this!

sffar
05-19-2011, 03:28 PM
This looks great–I'd like to attend. Just registered on NES website, but waiting for an email before I can post. I'll keep an eye on it. Meantime, count me in!
Thanks,
Sam
(NES sign-up done.)

mpbarry1
05-19-2011, 03:34 PM
is there anything like this in the North West? sounds interesting and fun!

Ziptar
05-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Another bump.

I'll be there tomorrow!

DukeInFlorida
05-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I've added you to the list.

This looks great–I'd like to attend. Just registered on NES website, but waiting for an email before I can post. I'll keep an eye on it. Meantime, count me in!
Thanks,
Sam
(NES sign-up done.)

DukeInFlorida
05-20-2011, 01:03 PM
If anyone up your way would like to organize such an event, have them PM me, and I will share the details of how we run this one.

is there anything like this in the North West? sounds interesting and fun!

sffar
05-21-2011, 08:25 PM
DukeInMaine,
You guys did a great job today. The workshop was informative, well orgnanized and a lot of fun. Thanks for putting it together.
Sam

DukeInFlorida
05-31-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm a bit late checking in. Thank you for attending. Everyone seemed to have had a good time, and I have had lots of follow up emails and private messages. People are already diving in with both feet. Making propane tank smelting pots, securing massive lead deposits, doing first smelts, buying custom molds, and pouring bullets.

Another couple of months and we'll have to start planning next Spring's event!