PDA

View Full Version : To add tin or not? newbie question

Dougie-UK
01-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Hi Just decided to have a try at casting my own bullet heads, got myself a small Lee melting pot and a 158 grain .357 mold/mould.
Making the heads to shoot out of a Winchester 94 AE Rifle and usually load the bullets with 4.6 grn of bullseye powder so the velocity is around 950 fps with a 158 grain head.
The lead i'll be using is pure roofing lead for the melt.
Question is do I need to add any tin to the mix or anything else to make the bullets harder shooting at these velocities, and if so what ratios should be added.

Thanks in advance Dougie :coffeecom

onesonek
01-15-2011, 08:47 AM
20 to 1 seems to be a popular alloy for pistol rounds. I would add some, just to aid mold fillout. How much also seems to be somewhat a personal preference. I shoot a 93-5-2 mix, but is in a .454 at higher velocity.

lwknight
01-15-2011, 01:50 PM
I think that you will find that adding at least 2 percent tin makes everything related work better all around.

Von Gruff
01-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Making the heads to shoot out of a Winchester ..... :coffeecom

First off Dougie, welcome to the forum.
You will find an amazing amount of information from very knowledgable casters here, but you will see them all refer to the "heads" as boolits.

Von Gruff.

arjacobson
01-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Find some cheap pewter and melt it down into very small ingots/coins.. When castingfigure out the weight and drop them into your melting pot to sweeten it. I just use a propane torch over a large cast ladle to melt my pewter plates/mugs/etcetc.. Pewter scrounging is as much fun as scrounging for lead!!:-D

arjacobson
01-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Find some cheap pewter and melt it down into very small ingots/coins.. When castingfigure out the weight and drop them into your melting pot to sweeten it. I just use a propane torch over a large cast ladle to melt my pewter plates/mugs/etcetc.. Pewter scrounging is as much fun as scrounging for lead!!:-D

P.S.--Welcome aboard!!!!!