PDA

View Full Version : Savage 32/20 bolt rifle, worn Bbl, can an Enfield No4 Bbl be made to fit?

Four Fingers of Death
11-02-2006, 07:27 AM
I saw one of these today and it was very cheap and had a nice old Bushnell Banner scope ( not worth much, but nice). The rifle looks like a biggish 22 and is a cock on closing job with a big coking piece, al la 22 rifle.

The barrel seems to be corroded, but the lands are strong and clear all the way. The shop swabbed the barrel out a few times, but it didn't improve much.

Will it shoot cast ok, provided it has strong, definite lands? I feel that if the lands are strong it should improve with fire lapping.

Also I have a smick No4 Bbl ( I have a feeling it might be a No1 Bbl, but was described as a No4 by the guy who gave it to me). Can this be turned down and rechambered to fit? It is in excellent condition, removed years ago by a target shooter no doubt.

I need another 32/20 like I need a hole in the head, but this is an unusual piece and would have been the sort of no nonsense rifle that would have been used as a cheap family game getter in days of yore. The scope looks a bit bigger than a 22 size scope, but has a post and cross hair reticle, that I am rather fond of.

There is no hope for me! If I buy this, I am definetly going to have to get another safe.

Groan!!!!! They also had an excellent Martini cadet with a neat Schutzen style buttstock and a set of Ausinel (australian) mounts and scope, dies and cases in 222 Rimmed for cheap as well. The action was drilled at the rear for a cleaning rod and the action had a quick remove allen key set up. Bugger, I'm going to have to give them a ring tomorrow.

Mick

mhb
11-02-2006, 12:56 PM
While it might be possible to rebarrel a Savage (Model 23 or 23A?), it wouldn't be much fun - the barrel and receiver on these rifles are of a piece, and the only way it might be done would be cutting the barrel ahead of the 'breech' portion, boring and threading the new 'receiver ring/threaded hood', and fitting the new barrel thereto. The best gunsmithing solution in this case would be to re-line the rifle, and liners are available (at least in this hemisphere).
mhb - Mike

Uncle R.
11-02-2006, 04:40 PM
The barrel seems to be corroded, but the lands are strong and clear all the way. The shop swabbed the barrel out a few times, but it didn't improve much.

Mick:
It's hard to predict if a barrel will shoot. I have a couple that are kinda dark and rough looking but shoot really well. On the other hand, my .43 roller barrel looks pretty good but is worn so badly that it throws 'em sideways. :roll:
You'll be able to make a more accurate guess after you buy it and take it home. :-D Then you can slug the bore at your leisure and check for loose spots.

Groan!!!!! They also had an excellent Martini cadet with a neat Schutzen style buttstock and a set of Ausinel (australian) mounts and scope, dies and cases in 222 Rimmed for cheap as well. The action was drilled at the rear for a cleaning rod and the action had a quick remove allen key set up. Bugger, I'm going to have to give them a ring tomorrow.

An "excellent" Martini cadet in 222 rimmed for cheap? With a scope & mount, dies & cases? Oh Lordy - I'm droolin' all the way over here in the midwest. You know what you need to do - buy another safe! :)

KCSO
11-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Mick
if it helps I had a mint Savage set in 22. 25, and 32 they all shot as good as a man can hold. The 32-20 in particular shot one ragged hole at 50 yards and many groups of 1 1/4" at 100 yards. A friend of mine still has the set and teases me with the 32-20 every now and then. If the bore will clean up at all it might suprise you how well they shoot.

Bret4207
11-02-2006, 07:14 PM
I have a Savage 23 in 32/20 and 2 in 25/20, all are shooters. Try it before you make any decisions, they shoot good as KCSO said. If it won't shoot then RE-LINE it, don't try to re barrel.

Four Fingers of Death
11-04-2006, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the help, I'll have to go back and have another look. I'll have to get the Martini, it is too god to go past (that's australian dollars as well! :-) Mick.