PDA

View Full Version : Rem 35 from .223

JerryHS
01-14-2011, 08:03 PM
What would I need to use my RCBS reloading press to make 35 Rem bullet from .223 brass? Does anyone on this board make the required dies?

Jerry

MIBULLETS
01-14-2011, 10:49 PM
You need cut the case to the correct length, anneal the case, reduce the case from .376 to about .354 - .356 , then add a core and process like a normal bullet. Seat teh core and point it up. I don't think the bullet forming would be too much for the RCBS press as long as it is something like a Rock Chucker, but the case reduction might be if you try to do it in one pass. You might have reduce it half way or so then reduce it again to get it to the final size. I make .358 bullets for my .358 like this, but I have a Corbin press and it has more leverage than the RCBS press. You might be able to do it in one pass but two will put less strees on your press.

Finding reloading press dies in .358 might be difficult and I haven't seen anyone here say that they have made them. If your 35 Rem is a lever action, you might look at the thread about the CH4D dies in .357. They would probably work fine for this if the flat tip doesn't bother you.

kawalekm
01-16-2011, 01:58 AM
I made mine by cutting .223 brass in half, sizing the case heads to .356" in my Lyman lubesizer AFTER annealing, then made the bullets in CH dies on my A4 Rockchucker.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/223caseto357jackets.jpg

JerryHS
02-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I like the idea of two bullets for each piece of brass.

I ordered a set of CH 101 dies. I should have them this week if I get to fly home from St Louis.

Is it easier to form the bullets if you anneal the brass again after pushing it through the reducing dies?

Did you shape the base of the top of the 223 brass when you seated the core or does that require a seperate step?

Thanks,
Jerry