PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 37583 in the 38/55 for hunting

brstevns
01-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Was wondering if anyone has tried this bullet for hunting? Old Lyman 37583 throws a 155gr with my alloy. Short reach deer bullet maybe? This would be from 38/55 marlin cb :?:

excess650
01-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Not for deer. Its a gallery or small game bullet, IMO.

brstevns
01-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Have you used this bullet?
if so with what load?

Charlie Sometimes
01-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Great timing on your question- I have the mold, and the caliber (actually 375 Win.), but I haven't got to this point yet with all of my other projects. Can't wait to read the answers! :smile:
I thought of a light load for squirrels, maybe a plinker load with Trail Boss or Unique. :grin:

excess650
01-15-2011, 08:04 PM
My intent was to have a quiet, short range load for backyard varmints. 4gr Hogdon Universal Clays would shoot sub 1" at 50 yards and was practically silent from my 32" Sharps.

Charlie Sometimes
01-16-2011, 11:39 AM
excess650- do you put a wad in on that load?

excess650
01-16-2011, 02:05 PM
excess650- do you put a wad in on that load?

Wads are not recommended as ringing can result. Truth be known, my own loads did utilize a single disk of copier paper over the powder to contain it close to the primer. Perhaps my loads were low enough pressure to not suffer from the "water hammer" effect and resultant ringing, but I can't say for sure. According to Wayne Schwartz or Charlie Dell, chamber ringing could be duplicated without wads by simply firing VERTICALLY. This would create a symmetrical shockwave and induce the "water hammer" effect.

With low powder density charges, I generally rely on "powder positioning". I RAISE the muzzle to allow the powder to settle near the primer. Lowering the muzzle may yield the same result, but testing will verify as to whether its necessary at all with really fast burning powders (Unique and quicker). For accuracy, be consistent. I don't use dacron as a filler just because I don't care to mess with it.

Lots of schuetzen shooters use floral foam as a filler. You'll have to check with the ASSRA guys if you think you want to pursue this, but I don't think it necessary in hunting rifles and hunting loads.

Charlie Sometimes
01-16-2011, 02:38 PM
When I asked about "wad"- I meant Dacron or something similar to hold the powder in position over the primer. Sorry for my inaccuracy there. :oops:
Powder position is why I was looking at TB and it's bulkiness. I like to use TB in my 45-70 loads- you can use a full case and not have that issue or the recoil, but haven't started anything with it in my 375 Win loads out of my Ruger #3.

I can't say that I have ever heard anyone be concerned about wads causing chamber ringing in these cartridges. Seems to me that symetrical shock wave concerns are a bit over board for this light loading. No chamber to rifling jump could be a big player in that game, otherwise, I can't see it happening. :confused: