PDA

View Full Version : Model 94 44 Mag Barrel bulge

HighHook
01-14-2011, 07:48 AM
I just acquired a nice SR 94ae in 44 Mag for cheep. the person before me must have Shot a dud then shot another and blammo... (Must have been scary) bulge in the middle of the barrel. The barrel is clean except for the bulge.

Is it unsafe to shoot cast boolits or should i replace the barrel and not shoot it at all. The stubborn part of me says load 6 rounds with 6gr unique to see how it shoots but, i figure i would see what you guys think?

Also, I am having trouble finding a barrel for it. Does anybody have a clue where to get a barrel?

Thanks in advance.

starnbar
01-14-2011, 09:32 AM
you can try numrich arms they have a pretty good inventory of barrels for winnies and check with some gunsmiths around your area most of the smiths keep in touch with each other and somebody somewhere has a barrel sitting around collecting dust

PacMan
01-14-2011, 09:49 AM
I doubt that shooting it will hurt anything.Having said that most likely it will lead badly at the bulge and once it starts inthe bulge the leading will continue down the barrel.. I have an old 8mm that has a bulge about half way down the barrel and it still shoots jacketed bullets fine but have never used lead for the reasons above.
Dwight

bob208
01-14-2011, 05:40 PM
i have a brno .22 with 2 bluges in the barrel. pne right in front of the chamber the other at the end of the forearm. i have used it for .22 matches and won many even out to 100 meters. it carries an 18 power scope. it is a tack driver. never have had any problems with it leading. i also have a 73 winchester in .44-40 have shot it with b-p and lead never had a leading problem with it and it too shoots very well.

EOD3
01-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Before you try it out, CAREFULLY inspect the bolt locking mechanism. Excessive pressure "could" damage it badly enough to RUIN head-spacing. .02/YMMV

HighHook
01-14-2011, 10:20 PM
OK Guys thanks for the Comments. I took it shooting today. First shoot i held the gun down low John Wayne style and shot the first round. Went bang and bullet went out the barrel. I looked down the barrel and seemed to be no leading. Wow thats great! fired off about 50 boolits and hit mostly what i aimed at.
I will look for a barrel but at least i know the gun can shoot...

MtGun44
01-15-2011, 02:00 AM
I have seen and fired a 1911 with the same issue. Amazingly the gun worked fine, no
notable loss in accy.

Bill