PDA

View Full Version : FTE 22S Smith bullseye pistol

randyrat
01-14-2011, 12:08 AM
I've had several over the last couple months, fail To eject, stove pipe. Yep I clean between shoots.
I've had to change my ammo to Aguila because I couldn't find CCI standard Vel anywhere. I tuned the recoil spring to shoot the smelly stuff (cut 3 coils off or it would have fits with the new ammo)
I shot a whole year with the tuned pistol with almost no problems, now it is starting to give me a hiccup once in a while. I shoot on a team and hiccups cost points and make me loose my concentration.
Maybe it is just the ammo? a bad batch?
A new spring? got any ideas?

Mk42gunner
01-14-2011, 01:08 PM
First of all, I am not familiar with your pistol, but here are some things to look at.

Check the extractor tension and hook. It sounds like the extraxtor is letting go of the case too early, even though it is pulling the case out of the chamber. Could be weak tension on the extractor, or a rounded edge on the extrator hook itself. Is there a separate coil spring that tensions the extractor?

Check the ejector too, is it soildly mounted like a 1911? Or is it springloaded?

RObert

skeettx
01-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Hello
Are you talking about a Smith 41 or some other Smith
Need to know model
Also you mention 22S is causing the problem
Do you have a 22 Short kit?
What gun, what kit, pictures?
Thank
Mike

frankenfab
01-14-2011, 09:06 PM
I have one. 22S with the silver/green laminate grips. I absolutely love it. I agree that it sounds like the extractor assembly is worn, broken, or in need of cleaning and lubrication.

Please post if you get it worked out, I would like to know for future reference.

randyrat
01-14-2011, 11:51 PM
I started taking some pics of the gun, also of the bolt and bolt face. I looked at the bolt face and the extractor, It's dirty as heck. I remember being in a hurry just before a match, i had to of forgot to clean the extractor and bolt face. I'll show a couple pics any way. Hope they come out OK. I can't seem to upload the pics and it's late. Thanks guys for the advice...You may have solved the problem.

skeettx
01-15-2011, 04:34 PM
OK, did some research, I did not know about the 22S, my target smith choice is the 41.
Good luck on the fix
Mike

randyrat
01-16-2011, 08:12 PM
All I know it is a 22A, but mine is a stainless model so I think they call it a 22S..
I cleaned the bolt face and under the extractor with great results today. Not one problem. I can't seem to upload a pic of it.

ReloaderEd
01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
I have a Model 41 S&W that shoots nice but it was failing to eject after several rounds then I realized MY MISTAKE!! I bet I am not the only one who is left handed and guess where my thumb was sometimes. In front of the ejection port. duh that one for me. Be Safe