PDA

View Full Version : lead vs monotype trade?

crabo
01-13-2011, 11:06 PM
What is a fair exchange in trading pure lead for monotype?

Also what kind of ratio would you mix mono to lead to get a WW mixture?

Thanks,

white eagle
01-13-2011, 11:14 PM
1 to 1 with lino will yield 16 bhn
and lino is supposedly 22 bhn to start
depending on the state of the lino to begin with
not sure of mono but that will give you some sort of idea

lwknight
01-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Trading is a funny thing. Componentwise , monotype is worth about 3 leads.
There are at least 7 dfferent monotype formulas. The more common is 9-19-72.
So you can mix 5 lead to 1 monotype and get somethng close to clip wheel weights.

geargnasher
01-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Crabo, I'd sell some of that virtually pure lead you have and buy some Rotometals high-antimony alloy and some tin, that way you will know exactly what you have to work with. I keep hearing that much of the "linotype" floating around is potentially tin-depleted from repeated remeltings and skimmings by the linotype operators.

Gear

cajun shooter
01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
monotype was the metal used for the large block letters for print shops. IIRC it is about 28-30 BHN and also has some unwanted material so that it has to be smelted to rid it of these other metals. Bullets that are cast from straight monotype are brittle. Look at the stickies by Glenn Fryxell

captaint
01-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Crabo - I've read here a while back that, like 5 lbs in the 20 lb pot with reasonably pure lead will end up very similar to WW's. I have a bunch of mono and one of these days I'm going to give it a go. enjoy Mike PS I mean 5 lbs mono to 15 lbs lead. I'm going to start by adding about 3 lbs and see.