PDA

View Full Version : Quick question regarding the 30-06 and Lyman 311284

2ndAmendmentNut
01-13-2011, 09:35 PM
I got my hands on a Lyman 311284 mould to try in my 30-06. These are pretty long boolits and I was wondering what you all do for loading them in your 06s. Do you seat them deep enough to cover all three lube grooves? Or do you seat the boolit until the gas check is roughly at the bottom of the brass neck, and allow one lube groove to remain exposed?

JCherry
01-13-2011, 09:56 PM
2ndAmendmentNut,

I've done both, depending on the particular rifle I'm using. Main thing I do is seat the bullet as far forward into the lands as possible.

If you do have a grease groove exposed you just have to be a bit more careful not to get dirt and grit into it.

Have Fun,

JCherry

rockrat
01-14-2011, 12:02 AM
I seat mine deep enough to cover all grease grooves and then deeper if the throat/leade calls for it. My NEF Handi has a very short thoat/leade. Other rifles , not so much.

MT Gianni
01-14-2011, 04:21 PM
2ndAmendmentNut,

I've done both, depending on the particular rifle I'm using. Main thing I do is seat the bullet as far forward into the lands as possible.

If you do have a grease groove exposed you just have to be a bit more careful not to get dirt and grit into it.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Using FWFL I have lubed only two grooves when seating to the lands. I prefer that exposed grooves are not lubed if at all possible.

Char-Gar
01-15-2011, 11:40 AM
The top ring on a 311284 is a dirt scraper or so the theory goes. I don't lube, it, but seat the bullet between the scraper and the first lube groove depending on the rifle.

Blammer
01-15-2011, 07:08 PM
I seat to "this deep'' and I don't lube the "top" ring before the nose.

but I don't use LLA, just speed green. These were just a few I tried, they didn't work.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/DSCN6281crop.jpg