PDA

View Full Version : bowen, millett sights for blackhawks

lawboy
11-02-2006, 12:33 AM
I have a SBH, Bisley 44 and Bisley 45, all with 4-5/8 barrels. I have a Millett 100 series sight on the SBH, a Bowen target sight on the Bisley 44 and a Bowen Rough Country sight on the Bisley 45. I have had the Bowen target sight for some months and really find it excellent. I just got the other two sights this week and have yet to try them out. I am wondering if others are using these sights and, if so, what guns do you have them on and how do you rate them. Do people find the 70- and 90-dollar Bowen sights to be any better than the 35-dollar Millett sight? Just looking for some other opinions and information about these sights. Regards.

Char-Gar
11-02-2006, 09:05 AM
I have never tried the Millett, but how the Bowen on two rugers and they are fine sights.

Bass Ackward
11-02-2006, 10:21 AM
I am wondering if others are using these sights and, if so, what guns do you have them on and how do you rate them. Do people find the 70- and 90-dollar Bowen sights to be any better than the 35-dollar Millett sight?

LB,

Better? How? I ask that because some people have some high expectation that never seems to be met no matter what sight they buy. When you look through the notch in the back, you only see the opening in the blade. So it must be mechanical.

I have both. And for a minute, I had to think about which gun had which. So I can't say that one jumps out at you. I adjust sights very little and have the correct tools with me when I do. Both sights have advantages there over a factory sight. But those are personal preferences. And just so you know, I still have factory sights too.

I am more interested in options. Getting the back blade necessary for me to get the sight picture that I want / need. And quite often, the front blade dictates the back anyway. I like thinner front blades and wish that you could get blades like for a fixed sighted revlover. Sometimes I like what some refer to as rifle sights that are more traditionally known as English sights. And now you have some folks making blades for the factory sights. The finest hunting sight I have for factory Ruger's is a peep of all things. $25 gets you two sizes. Fits single and double action Redhawks.

So be sure about your front sight if you have that option. Selection begins there. Since you have three guns and apparently want to change, then be smart about it. Start with a Millet and see what that does or doesn't do for you. Then you have your own opinion about if you like it or not. If you don't, then you may have to go the way of a Bowan. You've got three chances to get it right.

felix
11-02-2006, 10:37 AM
I agree with the peep sight idea, and I wish the so-called dot scopes were circle scopes instead. The turkey scope reticle in some scopes would be great if the circle was variable in size (for target size) and thickness (for low light). Cross hairs should exist (for leveling), but not through the scope's center. Just dreaming up a solution for poor eyesight. Concentrating on a dot, or crosshair intersection, is just too demanding (for old farts) these days. ... felix

lawboy
11-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Yes, I am thinking mostly of mechanical differences. One thing I plan to do is test the tracking abilities of these sights. I am interested to know which ones provide the best repeatability and what the unit of graduation is for the adjustments on each sight. Since the barrels are all the same length I should get a valid comparison. I now the Rough Country is not a click adjustable target sight so these concerns don't apply to it but the other two will be fun to test.
I tend to like a fairly thick front blade so I can see it! I usually sight in for a 6 o'clock hold so as not to obsure my target with the blade.

Where do you get the peep rear blades? I would like to try them.

snowtigger
11-05-2006, 05:13 PM
http://www.oneraggedhole.com/

mainiac
11-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Wondering if anybody knows where i can buy a taller front sight for my single-six in 32 magnum? I called the ruger folks a long time back, and they said that they only make one heighth for the single-six. I need one about 110-150 thousandths taller.Been putting a gob of devcon on the sight and then filing it to shape. Today,it fell off again,and im sick of doing things this way! I took the sight off, and am thinking that somebady with a milling machine could make this? any takers? thanks P.s. bullets 100 grains and heavier hit 3-5 inches high with the rear sight screwed all the way down.

Four Fingers of Death
11-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I have three BHs, all with factory sights, the way I use sights is to concentrate my focus on the foresight and this is the most important part for me. I prefer a partridge syle on to block the glare. I am getting an older model SBH shortly and will buy a partridge sight for it as it won't do any holster work. The only thing I don't like about the factory rears, is that I'm a bit rough with my tools sometimes and the anodising comes off on the sharp/high spots. I'm going to shoot silouette and long range plinking/informal target work with the new/old gun, so it would benefit from a better sight. Mick.

Jon K
11-05-2006, 08:11 PM
How was the original sight attached, before it fell off?

If it is screwed on, w/one screw, Ruger make different height front sights for the Mark II .22

Jon