PDA

View Full Version : Browning Mod 53, 32-20

ohiochuck
01-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Rifle will arrive next week. Anyone have this rifle? What loads work well? I am interested in fox-grey squirrels, woodchucks, etc. & plinking.
Thanks!

Kraschenbirn
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Don't own one but would like to. About a year ago, I saw one in the trade-in rack of a small gun and tackle shop in Bloomington, IL. Mint condition with beautiful wood but just a bit out of my price range for that moment. Tried to talk the owner into taking a deposit to hold it for thirty days but couldn't sell him on the idea. (I drop in there only 3 or 4 times a year when I'm in town on business, so I'm not what you'd call a "regular customer.") Went back three weeks later...with funds available...and it was gone.

If, after yours arrives, you decide you don't really have a need for it....:bigsmyl2:

Bill

01-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Wish I did!
Actually, I have the earlier cousin, a Win 92 in short rifle 32-20. IIRC (and that's become harder these days:)), Win monkeyed around with the twist rates in certain calibers in the Win 92 family from early, mid years, and later models of the 92, 53 & 65. I'd imagine the later repros would have the faster twist. Not that it matters a lot but may have a bearing on the absolute accuracy potential out of any of them with a particular bullet. My 92 really likes the old Lyman 311316 GC 115gr bullet sized to about .312" and of medium hardness BHN 11-14 over 12 gr Rel 7. You'll notice some semi-burned kernals of the powder after firing, and just like 5744, I've learned to pay no attention to it. That load is very low pressure so has the nice feature of being compatible with older, BP guns. Hope your "new" rifle is a good one. I really like the 32-20 in carbines, rifles and the Colt SAA. No powehouse, but is squirrel and chuck ready.

northmn
01-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I had read where the 32-20 and the 25-20 were trappers calibers and made to be compact and usable for deer and small game. Made a comment once that they were too big for rabbits and too small for deer. An individual owning a 25-20 set me straight as he had shot two deer with one and loves them on furbearers like fox. They kill very quickly on furbearers with little pelt damage and he shot two deer with one. He uses restraint but the deer were very close and not alarmed when he shot them. One in the neck. I remember squirrel hunting when a little spike buck walked through eating acorns while I was setting and walked by so close I could have almost tackled him. Would have been an ideal situation had he been legal. Can't say I would really want to hunt deer with one but the idea of that type of rifle of opportunity has intrigued me since.

DP

.45Cole
01-13-2011, 08:30 PM
ohiochuck-I bought one last year and it is really beautiful! It is an exact replica of the original m53 (no safety, warning or much writing at all). The only thing you might not like is the sights, which I traded out (if anybody is looking for flat top sights I will sell mine). I like it for quiet shots (like a loud .22 rifle) and 4.some grains of Unique will do this behind a boolit of 100+ grns. A good hard GC and H110 will send a boolit out around 1800fps. Really a great cartridge and a GREAT gun. Enjoy.

NHlever
01-14-2011, 10:05 AM
A dealer that I frequent has a very clean Browning 53 on the used gun rack in 32-20, and I have to handle it each time I go in. It is not drilled, and tapped for any kind of sights besides the buckhorn ones on the barrel though, and I just can't see them well enough to spend that kind of money on it. What are you all doing for sights on yours? I hate to drill, or have someone drill such a nice gun, and sure wish Browning had done it. I was surprised, though I shouldn't have been, a week, or so ago when I picked up a pre 64 Winchester 94, and found it wasn't drilled for a receiver sight either........... I had somehow forgotten that there were many years of production before that started being done.

bcr
01-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Uncle Elmer told about how he was working with a surveying crew one winter in the Rockies, and all he had was a SAA in 32-20. He used it to take a number of elk. I think that story was in "Hell, I was there". I think he did comment that it was a little light. :-D

I believe that I have wanted a Browning 53 for a longer time than I have wanted any other gun on my current wish list. Maybe this year?

Congratulations!

Reg
01-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Try 8.5 gn. 2400 pushing the Lyman 3118. Hold bullet dia. to bore size plus .0005/.001.
This is by no means a hot load, actually rather a mild one, but have found it very accurate. Yes, the 2400 does make "cornmeal"but I have yet to see or be shown where that ever causes a problem. Its more of a appearance thing and if it works great who cares what it looks like. This load also tends to give excellent case life and most of the time you can get by with neck sizing only.
Good luck, its a fun cartrige .

:drinks:

jmh54738
01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Purchased mine new 15-20 years ago. The bore is .306 x .3112, smooth and without tool marks. I don't recall if this is a deluxe, but the wood is figured and beautiful. Most of my shooting is with the 115 grain 3118 bullet. While I have gas check designs, why add another 3 cents per bullet unless higher performance is necessary. 4.5 grains of Unique will yield 1200 fps, (870fps in a revolver). 6.0 grains of Unique = 1469 fps. I really like 4756, 5.9 grains=1396fps, 6.7 grains=1560fps, 7.4 grains= 1650fps. Although some swear by 2400 powder in the 32-20, I swear at it!! The velocity spread of a 5 shot string will vary 200fps or more and leave the barrel full of powder granules. AA#9 is clean burning, 9.9 grains=1661fps, with 12 grains=1845fps, a good place for the gas checked bullets. Old Alcan AL-8 power is very uniform, with 7.1 grains giving 1325fps. The older you get, the more you will enjoy the feel of this rifle and its polite and quiet performance. John

Jack Stanley
01-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Congrats on getting such a lovely rifle . I would just bet that three point five grains of Unique and a H&G number sixy-seven will drill tiny little groups without making a mess of everything .

It's been a very long time since I tried using eighty-five grain jacketed hollow points and 2400 , I do remember it showed some promise . The idea of using 4756 has come up before in the velocity range I'd like to make so I might try that too .

Jack

jmh54738
01-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I should have stated that 2400 powder finds good application in the 32-20 in high power loadings where the pressure is high enough to ensure proper combustion. For loadings in the range of today's factory 32-20 loadings, around 1300fps, I favor a faster burning powder with less shot to shot velocity variation, and less unburned powder in the bore. Unless one always operates the action with the rifle pointed downward, these unburned powder grains will fall into the chamber as the next shell is chambered, causing dents in the cartridge case when fired. John
John