PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 97

Dragoon 45
01-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I had read somewhere that the Italians were going to start producing Model 1897 shotguns. But have been unable to confirm that.

I want to buy one, but am hesitant on buying a Chinese copy. Originals in my area are just outragous in price for a worn out one, and one in good shape is priced like it is made out of gold. At local gunshows, they start at around $500 and go up from there. Never knew so many of the 97's are "collector's items." I need the shotgun for Wild Bunch shooting.

I am very hesitant to buy anything off one of the internet sites, as you are buying sight unseen when it comes to used guns. Had a couple of friends burned buying off Gunbroker.

ReloaderFred
01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Chapparal is supposedly making a copy of the 1897 Winchester in Italy, but my experience with Chapparal products would send me toward one of the later Chinese copies long before I would consider anything with the Chapparal name on it.

I have several friends shooting IAC and Norinco 1897's and they've proven very durable and pretty good quality. The bad reputation came from some of the early guns, but they worked out the problems and are now producing a pretty good product. You might check johnnythundersticks.com for one.

My wife and I both shoot original 97's, and if you're patient, good deals pop up when you least expect them. In fact, we own 7 of them between us. The most I've paid was $450.00 for a Black Diamond Trap, with a mismatched bolt. The rest is original. The least I've paid was $150.00, and that was for a 1954 production gun that is in the best shape of any of them, and is now my match gun.

Let your friends know you're looking for a 97 and the local gunshops. Even the guys behind the counters of the larger shops are good assets at times. That's how I got my best gun, through a counterman at a large store that doesn't buy used guns. An old guy came in and asked if they knew anyone who might be interested in his 97? I had left my name and phone number with them and he called me to give me the name and number of the guy wanting to sell his "old gun". The seller named his price and I almost broke my arm getting my wallet out, even as he was saying that if the price was too much, he would "dicker" on it. I paid him the $150.00 and we were both happy.

Hope this helps.

Fred

gasboffer
01-13-2011, 06:07 PM
I carried one of those during the "Korean Conflict" Ammo was brass cased, never did fire it!
Clyde

76 WARLOCK
01-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I have had both the old Norinco and the newer IAC, the IAC is much better. I have heard and it makes sense that the first Norincos were made as copies of an old worn out Winchester so the Norinco was real loose and sloppy. Then the IAC was copied from a new and tite Winchester. I will never part with the IAC it has a choke I can shoot trap with it better than any other I have tried.

home in oz
01-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Nice looking guns!

C1PNR
01-15-2011, 01:29 AM
About 6 years ago I picked up an original take-down made in 1903 with 30" full choke barrel. Pretty tight and shoots fine.

Then a little over a year ago I bought one of the Norinco "Trench" model from S.O.G. with a 20" cylinder bore. It seems fine, works well, but I haven't fired it yet. I actually have an original Enfield bayonet that fits it just right. Maybe I'll take them the next time the Sheriff needs help manning a road block up in the hills. :lol:

The original was actually about $80 less expensive than the Norinco. :???:

Dragoon 45
01-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. I am surprised that the new Winchester has not re-introduced a 97. With the demand in Cowboy Action for 97's I would think that would be a no-brainer for them. Then also Uberti or Pedersoli would also be a logical choice for making new 97's.

home in oz
01-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Now a new Winchester made 97 is an interesting thought....

cajun shooter
01-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Well as Holy Terror has said more than once, If you shoot the 97 you will need to have 3 of them. 1To shoot in the match, 1 as a back up and the 3rd one at the smith's being repaired. I shot a match this past Saturday and could not believe it when 4 97's bit the dust on that stage. The good thing for the shooters was it was the last of the day. I will stay with my SXS and 87.

Dragoon 45
01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Well as Holy Terror has said more than once, If you shoot the 97 you will need to have 3 of them. 1To shoot in the match, 1 as a back up and the 3rd one at the smith's being repaired. I shot a match this past Saturday and could not believe it when 4 97's bit the dust on that stage. The good thing for the shooters was it was the last of the day. I will stay with my SXS and 87.

I normally shoot a Stoeger Coachgun. As far as I can tell these little SxS are almost indestructable. I have never seen one fail in a match and I shoot brass hulls loaded with BP.

My local club is starting Wild Bunch matches this spring and if I am going to shoot them I need the 97. Also was not the Model 12 introduced prior to WW I around the time of the Pershing Expedition into Mexico?