PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Shooters

pistolman44
01-13-2011, 12:06 PM
I am a left handed and what I need to know is shooting a AR 15 left handed pose any problems? Mainly with the ejection of the case hitting my arm. I know some of the rifles have a shell deflector on them. I have a AK47 and shoot it left handed without any problems. I want to purchase a new AR in 6.8 SPC caliber.

101VooDoo
01-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Nah, my son's a leftie and has no problems. Keep you collar buttoned though, just in case...

Or, you can buy a Stag left handed upper.

pistolman44
01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks. I just checked Gun Broker and there is a couple Stag Arms made in a left hand version. I guess that will be the one I'm going to buy. They have a Hunter model and a military one for $999. I have to check on Stag Arms quality.

357 Voodoo
01-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Stag quality is very good I have a lower from them and I cant find any thing that I would complain about. Their fit and finish is better than some if the other well known manufactures.

camaro1st
01-13-2011, 01:25 PM
i shoot lefty and dont have any trouble unfilling a clip.

mike in co
01-13-2011, 01:25 PM
i have shot ar's leftie for years with no real issues. almost every control is available in an ambi config.

having said that.....
a STAG leftie is the way to go...they run only slightly more than a right hand version..and they work. upper. carrier, bolt and bbl extention are alll left versions of the right. they flipped the door to up vs down to eliminate those parts and moved the fasteners for the carry handle to the right side to elimiate door interference.......

folks these are slick!

mike in co
disclaimer...i am a stag dealer/non-ffl

Moonie
01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
My wife is a lefty and shoots my AR-15 with no issues, she has not shot my 6.8 SPC upper yet though, shouldn't be any different.

Trapaddict
01-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Nothing more fun than a left handed shooter having a piece of hot 30 carbine brass come up, back and down your neck. Heed 101VooDoo's advice and keep your collar buttoned. Only ever made that mistake ONCE!

Jeff

Doc Highwall
01-13-2011, 05:25 PM
pistolman44, Stag Arms is a good gun. The only thing I would advise is if you are going to shoot National Match Course competition a left hand AR might not be allowed. I shoot left hand also and you will have no problem with a AR, M1A or M1 as I have shot them all. The M1 does pose a problem loading left handed as you only have your left thumb to hold the bolt back while you use your trigger finger to reload and a sling and glove on your right hand.

garandsrus
01-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Pistolman44,

What Doc said, except that a left handed upper IS NOT ALLOWED.

I shoot an AR lefty and it works just fine. Some of the controls are actually easier for a lefty to manipulate than a right handed shooter. For example, the bolt release is on the left side.

As for a M1, the secret to shooting it lefty is to use a SLED. It makes the Garand very friendly to a lefty.

John

pistolman44
01-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all the info, it really helped me decide on what model to buy. I have decided on the Stag Arms 6.8 SPC left hand Hunter model with a 20" hvy brl.

2wheelDuke
01-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I shoot the AR-15 lefty. Since I got a company-owned AR for duty use, I've changed the way I operate them just slightly.

I have an ambi safety on my personal gun, but not my work gun. I asked my rangemaster if there was any chance of getting an ambi safety for it, and he told me no.

If they let me make a change on mine, then they'd have to let everyone mess with their rifles, and they're not going to have that.

Because of that, I've re-trained myself to use my index finger on my left hand to operate the safety.

The bolt release being on the left is alright, I can live with it, but I'm guessing that's better for righties to hit with their support hand instead of having to take your hand away from the grip like lefties do.

Trapshooter
01-14-2011, 01:50 PM
If you're shooting a standard AR with a carry handle, another valuable piece of equipment for left handed AR-15 shooters is a shell deflector. It keeps the brass from flying into your shirt, or across your field of view. They are available from mil-surp dealers, and from some of the high power shooter's suppliers.

Trapshooter

Arisaka99
01-14-2011, 03:48 PM
or just get a brass catcher??

Moonie
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the info, it really helped me decide on what model to buy. I have decided on the Stag Arms 6.8 SPC left hand Hunter model with a 20" hvy brl.

Might reconsider the length, you get about 50fps/inch between 16" and 18" and only about 25fps/inch between 18" and 20".

16" or 18" would make for a handier rifle, I like long barrels too but after doing the research I got an 18" Bison Recon. Rifle is nice and light and VERY handy. Much different than the long barreled bolt guns I had in my 20's, and easier for this older guy to carry around.