PDA

View Full Version : Can I improve on this? (M48 Yugo)

singleshotbuff
11-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Gentlemen,

Been off the board for about 2 weeks (just restored internet at home after being laid off from job), glad to be back. Been catching up on posts all night & I'd like a little imput on this.

I've got an M48 Yugo, decent shape, mostly matching except the floorplate, bore is lightly frosted from corrosive ammo. I've tried several different loads in it using Jword bullets, both pulldown and commercial, and a couple of powders, also pulldown and commercial. It shoots fairly consistently at 3 M.O.A., 1 1/2" at 50 yards from bags. I was wondering what you fine folks think my chances are of improving on this with real boolits, considering the frosting. I'd like to get to 1.5-2 M.O.A. If you think it's possible, which mold is voted most likely to succeed? Any other tricks to help this old warhorse shoot?

All input appreciated.

SSB

Buckshot
11-02-2006, 04:07 AM
..............If the barrel has good strong lands and you EXPECT it to shoot and it doesn't (assuming you loaded good quality ammo) I'd check bedding or barrel bind. I just went through this with a Remington M1917. Very good bore, tight headspace and the barrel was floated. It was just naturally that way with everyhting assembled.

Using proven loads it shot 2-2.5" groups at 50 yards. Nice round groups and nothing wild, or strung. I got to thinkimg that the simplist check or possible fix might be a bit of forearm pressure. Couldn't hurt and certainly wouldn't be permanent. So I cut 2 shims from a business card and slid then between the bbl and forearm.

Holy cow! Did that ever close things up! Groups were cut in half at 50 yards. However, if it is all just the matter of a boolit design my recomendation would be the Lyman 323470. A Loverin design so there is no bore riding nose to cause a possible issue. A Loverin simply eliminates a variable.

................Buckshot