PDA

View Full Version : Pacific 30-40 neck size die

3006guns
01-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I just received n.o.s. Pacific neck sizing die in 30-40 Krag, my first. I screwed it into my press, lightly lubed a fired case and began advancing the die a little at a time while watching the neck. To my suprise, the sizing stopped about 1/32" above the shoulder.......any further and the base of the case body impacts the die body causing scratches. Is that as far as I can use it? I was under the impression that a neck die would resize all the way down to the shoulder.....???

madsenshooter
01-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Ha! Those old Pacific dies do weird things. I bought a NOS file trim die for the 30/40 not long ago. By the time you get the neck up to where you could trim any, you're sizing the shoulder to a rounded contour smaller than the original. But, hey, it does size all the neck, want it?

3006guns
01-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Hmmm.........no wonder I only got it for five bucks. But it IS new old stock.

Think maybe I might introduce this die to Mr. Boring Bar in my lathe and open up that base just a bit.......

1hole
01-13-2011, 10:09 AM
"To my suprise, the sizing stopped about 1/32" above the shoulder......."

Don't fix it, it ain't broke. There is absolutely no reason to "neck size" below the base of a seated bullet and many neck dies were made to prevent impacting the shoulder. And that's good!

IF you want to 'shoulder bump' get a body die.

Dan Cash
01-13-2011, 10:47 AM
1hole is right. If your $5.00 die makes you unhappy, send it my way and I will send you your 5 +shipping.

3006guns
01-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Thank you! I thought maybe I got one made on a Monday or something. I'll leave it alone and use it, although I will make a new expander to bring the neck up to a suitable cast boolit size.

1hole
01-13-2011, 02:40 PM
"I will make a new expander to bring the neck up to a suitable cast boolit size."

Now, that's a good plan! But, I would suggest you turn your new expander in the pattern of a Lyman "M" expander plug. Not only is that type expender excellant for cast bullets it also works great for jacketed stuff.

Char-Gar
01-15-2011, 11:35 AM
I never trust any die, of any make and any vintage to be adjusted correct when in contact with the shell holder. Too many differences in dies, presses and shell holders. I keep a Wilson case gauge in every caliber and use that to adjust dies, as well as check fired case headspace and length.

The use of a Wilson gauge will find more problems than you think and solve them as well.