PDA

View Full Version : More BH of WW

heebs
01-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Out in the garage on Monday casting some new batches of bullets. Tested them today for Brinell and they tested 14.9. Wheelweights also tested at 14.5. Pure lead tested at 5 and another unknown tested at 26. The unknown melted at 510 degrees, so I'm pretty sure its Monotype.

Got me wondering if ambient air temp (10 degrees at the time) if this is the equivalent of water quenching. I don't think so since the pure lead tested at 5BH. All BH was tested at 48 hrs after casting. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Do I need to wait longer before testing Brinell. Will BH change much in the next few days?

Heebs

white eagle
01-12-2011, 08:49 PM
I do believe the bhn is changing most of the time it does however
level out after a certain time period
should wait a couple of weeks to get a better bhn read

Charlie Two Tracks
01-12-2011, 09:04 PM
I am by far not an expert but I did the same thing and the BHN was a lot higher when it was real cold using the same alloy as I did in the summer. I think it acts like a water quenching thing. Bet you didn't have too much trouble with too hot a mould! Better experience will soon follow.

heebs
01-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Hot moulds are not a problem. Getting to temp can be though. I have cast at -20 and man can you go fast with a Master Caster. Just gotta have a heater for me! LOL

Heebs

243winxb
01-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Will BHN change much in the next few days? Pure with 2% antimony, about 2 weeks to full hardness. Faster if using 4% The 6% full hardness in about 30 minutes.