PDA

View Full Version : Load Data online reloading site

Ohio Rusty
01-12-2011, 08:02 PM
I was looking for a load for a 170 grain cast boolit. An oddball weight for a cast boolit, but I know there is load data for it. I came across a site on the 'net called 'Load Data'. When you try see what the charge weight of your load is, there is an ad that pops up wanting you to pay $29.95 for a one year subscription to their load data site. Is there anyone on here that is a subscriber to Load Data and what do you think of the site? Is it worth it?
Ohio Rusty ><>

01-12-2011, 08:34 PM
A Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook costs much less, and you don't have to buy it every year.

357shooter
01-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I've seen the site and don't subscribe. It isn't worth it.

The Lyman manual is awesome. the powder companies mostly have online access to their data. There are free sites (use with caution) such as:

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp
http://www.loadswap.com/

They often have tough to find recipes. I usually cross reference 2 sources when using the free websites as folks submit their data, and can get it wrong. But they were helpful looking for a load a couple of weeks ago.

AZ-Stew
01-12-2011, 09:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Load Data is an offshoot of the Wolfe Publishing (Rifle, Handloader, etc.) outfit.

The only reason I haven't subscribed, even to try it out for a year, is that I haven't yet been able to afford a laptop computer for my handloading bench. When I do, I'll also connect it to my Lyman DPS-1200 powder dispenser. I'll then be able to consolidate most of my shooting stuff into one computer. Log book, target photos, load data, firearms records, chrono data, etc. Big plans, few $$.

Regards,

Stew

giz189
01-13-2011, 12:10 AM
I was a subscriber for several years, and thought it was a good sight. Only reason I left was cause then you could only pay subscription with credit card and my cc company had different ideas about how much interest they wanted to charge. 25% was just a bit to much in my mind.

Dannix
01-13-2011, 02:45 AM
I live and work tech, but my impression of for-pay sites like this is to instead read up on what others like for a given cartridge, buy a micrometer, and work up loads yourself.

mooman76
01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
The powder web sites have data for free. Try here too.http://www.stevespages.com/page8.htm

smoked turkey
01-13-2011, 10:29 PM
+1 on buying your own loading manuals. Mine are not all the latest additions, but I refer to them all the time. I especially like the Lyman manuals. I have them for Muzzleloading, cast boolits, shotgun and smokeless loading. I wouldn't be without them.

spqrzilla
01-13-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't care for it, it has a lot of crappy quality "loads" mixed into the published data. Not sure what Wolfe thinks that business model is. I find it a fail.

Dannix
01-14-2011, 03:08 AM
A chronometer is good too for when you start trying OALs that differ from the manual.

DCM
01-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Load manuals are indespensible, tons more info than just loading data. Best pay site http://www.ammoguide.com/ ,many many wildcats and oddballs!

Recluse
01-14-2011, 11:24 PM
It will be a cold day in Obamaville before I pay money to an online-reloading data site simply to be a member and have access to information that might, and I emphasize might, be decent.

A. There are already a plethora of free sites and forums in existence with members who can--and will--help you out.

B. You can contact the powder manufacturers for questions about oddball loads and talk to some of their balliticians. I've done that quite a bit with Accurate Arms powders.

:coffee:

Heavy lead
01-14-2011, 11:34 PM
I'd pay money for a good comprehensive pressure tested, organized, well thought out sight. I've done some searching there during a free trial I got for a day a couple years ago, also, you can go there now and search around without actually getting the data. I think you will find it is a mish mash of published data, thrown in with some pet loads and handloader articles, not well organized, and nothing new. Data can be gathered elsewhere.
What I wish was Accurate, especially Alliant and others would do the job Hodgdon does on there website, I find the Hodgdon sight to be awesome. Just wish they included Unique, 2400 and Reloder 22.
Darn.

Ohio Rusty
01-15-2011, 12:06 PM
TThanks for the info all ..... I'll stay away from the Load data online site.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Dannix
01-15-2011, 01:16 PM
B. You can contact the powder manufacturers for questions about oddball loads and talk to some of their balliticians. I've done that quite a bit with Accurate Arms powders.
I've got to give some credit to VV on that front too. They were very helpful indeed in answering some power questions I had for a wildcat.

bhn22
01-15-2011, 03:25 PM
I was looking for a load for a 170 grain cast boolit. An oddball weight for a cast boolit, but I know there is load data for it.

What caliber?

1Shirt
01-24-2011, 01:53 PM
I tried it for a year! Waste of money in my opinion. Have a fairly large collection of reloading manuals from a number of blt mfg's and powder mags. In addition, I have internet information from this site and many others. A wealth of knowledge, and practical, experianced wisdom. 170 gr is not an uncommon weight in my opinion. I have 3-4 170 grain molds, and for 30 and 357 cals.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Wincacher
06-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Thought I'd check for some yeas and nays on "LOAD DATA" and this came up. I see some sound advice, yet: 3 days ago I posted a request for load info on 40-60 Winchester on 3 forums and got 1 reply with 1 suggested start load that I already had. For collectors like me that like the obsolete cartridges, ie. 25-20, 38-56, 40-60, 40-82, etc., there seems to be no internet, or nearly none, with information available. I checked the LOAD DATA site for 40-60 and got about 30 suggested loads for the 40-60, though most are charge/velocity variations. I guess it comes down to what type of shooting one is interested in, historic, obsolete or the 9mm/AR-15 black gun stuff. Haven't subscribed yet but leaning that way.

kayala
06-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Thought I'd check for some yeas and nays on "LOAD DATA" and this came up. I see some sound advice, yet: 3 days ago I posted a request for load info on 40-60 Winchester on 3 forums and got 1 reply with 1 suggested start load that I already had. For collectors like me that like the obsolete cartridges, ie. 25-20, 38-56, 40-60, 40-82, etc., there seems to be no internet, or nearly none, with information available. I checked the LOAD DATA site for 40-60 and got about 30 suggested loads for the 40-60, though most are charge/velocity variations. I guess it comes down to what type of shooting one is interested in, historic, obsolete or the 9mm/AR-15 black gun stuff. Haven't subscribed yet but leaning that way.

Wincacher, for each of those calibers you've listed I've found at least 1 load in "Cartridges of the world". I have 13th edition and could find everything you've mentioned. Can be a starting point.

leadman
06-22-2016, 02:06 AM
I too recommend the Lyman manuals, current and older versions like the third edition. This site is also good for info on load data but like with any internet site verify it with a manual or data from the powder company. The Lee manual also has some generic load data gathered from other sources but it seems to be valid info.
With most data for boolits one can use data from a slightly heavier boolit and still be safe. The older Accurate Arms manuals had data for boolits but most using 5744 started out higher than I found was needed. Be aware when Western Powder bought Accurate they stated that data from the older manuals should not be used. I still reference it but confirm it from other sources also.
A 170gr weight boolit is common in the 30 caliber or 8mm.
It is helpful to members here to have as much info like: Firearm, cartridge, boolit weight, powder, and the goal you are trying to achieve.

robg
06-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Those single caliber load books supliment my manuals ,there basicley load data from lots of different manuals covering jkt/cast boolits

lancem
06-26-2016, 02:52 PM
I've used load data.com for years, great site. Data from the Lyman manuals are on the site, along with data from the powder companies and bullet companies. As usual too many call it bad without ever seeing what is really there, for the money it's like having all of the reloading manuals on hand and in a searchable database.

clum553946
06-28-2016, 12:19 AM

i'm a member of Load Data & use it. I also load some older historic cartridges & the sight has alot of data for these older cartridges & some load data is also weapon specific. I agree that the common loads can be found all over the place, but LD also has the data for those under their own heading, keeping them easier to compare the data quickly. Fwiw, it's worth it to me.

robertbank
06-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Load Data got me once but not twice!

My personal favourite is Lyman 3rd Edition Cast Bullet Handbook. I have the 4th Edition but found the 3rd was more helpful. Just personal opinion others may differ.

Hogdon site is an excellent reference, free and has a wide variety of loads for their powders (Hogdon, Winchester & IMR).

Take Care

Bob

jem102
07-03-2016, 01:21 PM
I've used load data.com for years, great site. Data from the Lyman manuals are on the site, along with data from the powder companies and bullet companies. As usual too many call it bad without ever seeing what is really there, for the money it's like having all of the reloading manuals on hand and in a searchable database.

Agree, more data for the money than you will get from any 2 or 3 books. Also many articles. However in all honesty the load books have added detail on reloading the site does not offer. If you are an accomplished handloader just mining load data it has a lot to offer.

John Boy
07-03-2016, 02:06 PM
I reload for many single shot rifles with obsolete calibers in addition to post 1900 calibers. The online free or paid subscription sites do not list many of them. Build a library of reference books and these are my 'go to' books:
* The Complete Guide to Handloading ... https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Handloading-Revision-Treastise/dp/B001O8585Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=614nT4nYfKL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR242%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=MV2GM2TR6TKVTNWYM4R9
* 3rd Edition Ammo Encyclopedia ... https://www.amazon.com/Ammo-Encyclopedia-3rd-Michael-Bussard/dp/1936120100
* Pre 1950 Ideal HAndbooks, especially the 1939 Edition ... http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/historic-ideal.php
Cartridges of the World... https://www.amazon.com/Cartridges-World-Complete-Illustrated-Reference/dp/1440242658 (http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/historic-ideal.php)

Black Powder ... (http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/historic-ideal.php)http://www.goexpowder.com/load-chart.html

DougGuy
07-03-2016, 02:13 PM
I have a need for load data in .45 Schofield brass to 23,000psi in a Ruger SA and you won't find this in any published data anywhere. If I invest money in load data materials, it will be to order a copy of Quickload.

Buickbob
07-29-2020, 09:41 PM
Does anyone have any reloading data for the mihec 452-340 gc for the 45 ACP?

Norske
07-30-2020, 01:00 AM
I used to subscribe to Load Data, and still have QuickLoad software. Load Data had many suggested handloads from Wolfe's editors. I wasn't sure how many had been pressure tested at a real ballistics lab. QuickLoad is software based on bomb calorimeter data gathered by a German chemical engineer. It is predictive. I always double-check its data against at least one reloading handbook, and I've found its prediction of muzzle pressure valuable. When changing powders, a charge that produces similar muzzle pressure often results in similar accuracy. I will chronograph all accurate loads (QuickLoad is usually very close to measured velocity). A chronograph is the only consumer machine whose measurement is proportional to chamber pressure. There are no fast barrels.

oldsalt444
07-30-2020, 11:49 AM
Don't waste your money on Load Data. There are so many online sources for free that it doesn't make make sense to pay for it. Plus every reloader should have several load manuals on their bench.