PDA

View Full Version : New additional to my collection

That'll Do
01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Look what followed me home today!:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/BradE_82/Guns%20and%20Ammo/IMG_0234_edited.jpg http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/BradE_82/Guns%20and%20Ammo/IMG_0237_edited.jpg

It's a Model 14-3. Overall, it's in excellent shape. There is some minor bluing wear at the muzzle, but overall she's in good shape. The gun locks up well, and has a wonderful trigger, as compared to my newer 686. I only paid $485 for the gun, which, at least in my area is a pretty good price.

Now I get to work up some loads for it. Time to start casting lots of wadcutters! I'm guessing all the "classic" powders work well in 38 Special, like Bullseye and W-231, correct? Anyone have suggestions as to more "modern" powders that they've had good luck with?

No_1
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Look at Unique. The brothers and I have had good luck with plated bullets as well as cast lead RNFP's using it in the 38 SP. I will not post our load since it slightly exceeds book data but we feel it is safe for our N-frames.

Robert

That'll Do
01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
I'll check out the Unique, for sure. I have about 4 pounds of it. This gun will see only standard 38 Special loads, as I have a 686 if I need anything heavier.

MT Gianni
01-12-2011, 07:19 PM
My accuracy load was a standard load now I think it is +P. 5.4 gr Unique under a 358477.

Char-Gar
01-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Bullseye, modern or not, is still the best for 38 Special target loads.

lonewelder
01-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Bullseye is still my target load for my k-38.Not the cleanest but it sure works well.

That'll Do
01-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Bullseye, modern or not, is still the best for 38 Special target loads.

Bullseye is still my target load for my k-38.Not the cleanest but it sure works well.

I kinda figured I'd be getting responses for Bullseye. Doesn't bother me if it is dirty or not, accuracy comes first.

9.3X62AL
01-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Bullseye, WW-231, or Unique will all shoot better in that K-38 than most of us here can hold. The first two fuels get the call for target or standard-pressure loadings, Unique does a lot of my +P and/or heavy boolit work. If the grips on the revolver are original to the piece, it is a post-1981 example, and quite capable of absorbing a long lifetime of +P loads without concern. I would also happily part with $485 to gain a 6" K-38. MSRP on the limited-run MIM glory-hole current examples from S&W is almost TWICE what you paid.

I'm waiting none too patiently for 200 more 38 Special casings from Bwana Larry's Toy Shop & Bulk Dry Goods at present. I have a 5" Model 10 and a Colt OMT badly in need of range time and jackrabbit strafing.

KYCaster
01-14-2011, 12:49 AM
I kinda figured I'd be getting responses for Bullseye. Doesn't bother me if it is dirty or not, accuracy comes first.

Shoot a few hundred rounds loaded with Clays and see if that will change your mind about dirty.

No noticeable change in accuracy but gun, hands, sandbags, shooting bench and every thing else around will be MUCH cleaner. The difference is dramatic.

Jerry

doghawg
01-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Congrats on a good deal on a fine gun! I've always used 231 or Unique in .38's and both do well. Last summer I picked up a 6 cav Lee 140 gr. SWC and tried 5.3 gr. of Power Pistol and the results were outstanding. Measures good, burns clean and gave excellent accuracy. FWIW

rintinglen
01-15-2011, 01:46 AM
My M-14 dotes on the 148 H&G number 50 over 2.7 Bullseye or 3.0 grains of 231. I haven't tried unique for targt loads but the Lyman 358-311 shoots great over 5.0 grains of Unique and is almost as accurate as the WC loads.

dubber123
01-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Congrats on the new gun! If you should decide to purchase a new mould, BRP's 360640 plain base is a winner. I spent alot of time, (and powder) trying to get wadcutters to group at 50 yds. + to my satisfaction. I really like wadcutters in the .38. After many months, I bought the above mentioned BRP mould, and it instantly started producing my best groups. I use them mostly in a 6" K-38 also. Check for a frame constriction in the barrel, mine had a healthy one. Good luck.

That'll Do
01-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Bullseye, WW-231, or Unique will all shoot better in that K-38 than most of us here can hold. The first two fuels get the call for target or standard-pressure loadings, Unique does a lot of my +P and/or heavy boolit work. If the grips on the revolver are original to the piece, it is a post-1981 example, and quite capable of absorbing a long lifetime of +P loads without concern. I would also happily part with $485 to gain a 6" K-38. MSRP on the limited-run MIM glory-hole current examples from S&W is almost TWICE what you paid.

I'm waiting none too patiently for 200 more 38 Special casings from Bwana Larry's Toy Shop & Bulk Dry Goods at present. I have a 5" Model 10 and a Colt OMT badly in need of range time and jackrabbit strafing.

The gunshop I purchased this gun from also had the S&W reproduction Mod. 14, and they were asking around $780 for it. I'll gladly take the one I have, no internal lock either (although my 686 has one, and I've had no trouble from it).

I don't know if the grips are original to the gun, the serial number is K9313XX, does anyone know how old the gun would be?

Shoot a few hundred rounds loaded with Clays and see if that will change your mind about dirty.

No noticeable change in accuracy but gun, hands, sandbags, shooting bench and every thing else around will be MUCH cleaner. The difference is dramatic.

Jerry

I've used Clays extensively in 45 ACP. It is pretty darn clean, and accurate too. I'll certainly try it with this gun. I think I don't use it a lot simply because I enjoy working up new loads and trying new powders. I just checked my reloading supplies, and I have 19 different powders on hand, and I haven't even tried 5 of them! Maybe I'm a little indecisive! :grin:

I purchased a box of 500 Remington HBWC to get acquainted with the gun, in addition to my own bullets. I'm going to try my RCBS 38-150-SWC, 38-148-WC (once Erik removes the bevel base, can't stand BBs), and the NOE 358429. That should keep me busy for a good while.